It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Panic Disorder with Fear of Flying

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2008, 04:59 PM   #1
    krisse79
    (female)

krisse79 HB User
    Panic Disorder with Fear of Flying

Hi, everyone!

I'm new here and wanted to give you my brief history. I was diagnosed with Panic Disorder when I was 19 and that was about 10 years ago. I was on Paxil 40 mg for about 9 years and the switched to Lexapro 20 mg about a year ago. The main source of anxiety for me is fear of the unknown, anticipatory anxiety, and change. In my 10 years of having this, I have been constantly under the care of a wonderful psychiatrist and go to therapy regularly. I also married a man who completely supports and and does his best to help me with my anxiety. For the most part, my anxiety is under control. My symptoms when I'm having an attack are shortness of breath, increased heart rate, a tingling feeling, feeling nauseous, diarrhea, illogical thoughts, shaking...the usual most people get.

The reason I'm here is that I've done a really good job in ten years of conquering fears. When I first was diagnosed, I was agoraphobic and had trouble even going to a restaurant. I'm over all that now and even went to a concert this year (my first in forever...didn't really wanna go before because of crowds and not knowing what to expect) and I had a wonderful time.

In the last ten years, I have managed to avoid flying in an airplane. My last flight, 10 years ago, was RIGHT before I was diagnosed and was experiencing some anxiety symptoms (loss of appetite, not wanting to get out of bed, trouble sleeping) during that last flight and trip. My hubby's cousin is getting married in Colorado in August, so I have to go to the wedding. To make that trip easier, I thought I would "tag along" on my husband's business trip in California during the last week in June. That way, I could get used to flying and basically get the perfect vacation for me... 5-6 days of sun, fun, and shopping!

I've been so excited to go on this trip, but now that it's about a month away, I'm not doing so well. The last 3 nights have been awful....trouble sleeping, heart racing, and then finally two nights ago, the beginning of a panic attack. I took .5 mg of lorazepam and was okay. I took .5 again last night to help me try to get back on track with my sleep. Now, today, I've just had a stomachache all day and just feel anxious again. How am I going to go a whole month feeling like this?

My question is: How many of you have a fear of flying? How did you get through the flight? If you took meds, what did you take and what dosage? Do hypnosis CDs/sessions help?

I will be visiting my psychiatrist before the trip to discuss all this, but I'm curious to know what people who experience panic think about flying.

Thank you in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 01:05 AM   #2
    wailana
    (female)

wailana HB User
    Re: Panic Disorder with Fear of Flying

When I need to fly, before take off I take .25mg of Xanax. So, by the time we're in the air, I'm pretty relaxed. I then order a Bloody Mary, 2 sometimes and I'm way relax and then I fall asleep and take a snooze. This might not be the best advise but it works for me. When I don't have the drink, the Xanax will do and I feel normal.

Closed Thread