It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Overstimulation of spine, neck, stomach from sound and bright visuals. Super scared!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-14-2009, 12:25 AM   #1
    phix95
    (female)

phix95 HB User
    Question Overstimulation of spine, neck, stomach from sound and bright visuals. Super scared!

BG:
    Had depression/panic since I was 13 (I'm 32 now). Have been fine for 15 years or so.
    Am on 30 mg Prozac; .25 mg Xanax
    (others, not anxiety related are Eve. Primrose oil, marshmallow root, DGL licorice, Zyrtec, and Veramist)

I have these weird sensations in my spine, neck, and stomach mostly. Like any sound or even bright visual thing triggers it. It's very hard to describe. Its not pain; its like overstimulation of those areas. My stomach even spasms a bit. So things I usually use for "comfort" when I'm panicky (watching TV or even reading)...I can't do <BECAUSE>it involves sound and vision so I'm really scared. Even typing this (the tapping sounds) and seeing this bright screen makes me feel it. (Seems its better when it's dark and I'm looking at dark solid colors.)
    I can't stand it. I mean sounds and visuals is pretty much LIFE....so what, go into a sensory dep. tank?

I went to the psych twice about it so far. First he said to up the xanax before bed and if it was still there in a month to go to a neurologist. I waited 2 days and it got worse. So the next time, he said no, it's not physical, and he put me on low dose of Seroquel and to up the Xanax again.

This started maybe 3 days ago. Today I have little appetite. I actually didn't get panicky about this until a day or so into it. So the symptoms started the panic, not the other way around. (That's the one thing I think the doc. ignores when you tell them; they always think the panic comes first.)

Has anyone had this? What did you do? Did you find out it was actually physical not panic? How did you react to Seroquel? (25mg)

Last edited by msmod; 04-14-2009 at 06:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
    PanicAtTheDisco
    (male)

PanicAtTheDisco HB User
    Re: Overstimulation of spine, neck, stomach from sound and bright visuals. Super scar

Well phix95, I'm on seroquel too and it definitely helps with sleep and helps you feel less alert during the day which may help the sudden strengthening of your senses.

But it is normal when panic is especially strong, sensation wise, that you'll notice lights brighter and noises louder and more alerting/scary. When I first got panic (at its height), the screen on my computer monitor would make me panic cause it was so bright it seemed. And still to this day when my dad calls my name suddenly, I jump in fear a little. Panic has primed us and made us more alert cause that's what panic is, the flight or fight response, so naturally we're gonna be more "alert" for lack of a better word.

The only way I dealt with it was by getting used to it. It seems that time really does heal all wounds with panic and you just get used to the bright lights and the louder, frightening noises because you know they won't kill you in the end. That's at least how I got used to it. I hope the seroquel helps you as it has me, take care =).

Last edited by PanicAtTheDisco; 04-22-2009 at 02:00 PM.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
    phix95
    (female)

phix95 HB User
    Re: Overstimulation of spine, neck, stomach from sound and bright visuals. Super scar

Thank you. Glad to hear you're "better".
    But I'll be very calm and sounds will make me jump...like an involuntary reaction, eg...its not <BECAUSE> I'm nervous or high strung or jumpy...I can be calm and this stuff will really bother me. Like I'll be tired (due to the meds, not sure) pretty much all day, but will still react overly-so to this stuff.

Last edited by msmod; 05-04-2009 at 06:23 AM. Reason: As per the postings rules, always use whole words in your posts. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread