It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Breathing fears...Don't understand...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-17-2002, 01:16 AM   #1
    jasmine30
    Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
    Post Breathing fears...Don't understand...

Hi,
    My parents are good friends with a man and his wife which are neighbors of theirs.Ive known the couple all my life.The man has Emphysema and has blacked out on numerous occasions.As far as I know,he never becomes Anxious or Panicky when this happens OR when he has difficult days which is daily.I guess its hard for me to understand why it don't affect him preventing him from driving or going places..Maybe its coz he truly has a breathing abonormality and we dont....When I began having PA's 7 years ago,I automatically began fighting for breath when it felt like I wasn't getting enough air in.I would gasp,yawn,sigh,take deep breaths to compensate for the air I felt I wasn't getting.I also started paying attention to my breathing coz I had never had feelings of suffocation or trouble breathing beforehand.This has been a nightmare for me!!When I was in hosp in 97,a nurse told me I needed to stop breathing in the manner I was OR I was gonna Hyperventilate..I thought thats what I was already doing.Ive read that people can Panic then react with Hyperventilation or Hyperventilate then react with Panic.Most usually with me it starts out with a feeling Im not getting any air in and it spirals to fighting for air which in turn spirals out of control making me worry this is it Im gonna die,Im not gonna be able to breathe...I still to this day constantly sigh,yawn have that need for more air...Why does this not bother the man?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2002, 08:37 PM   #2
    laria82
    (female)

laria82 HB User
    It doesnt bother the man because he is not anxious or afraid. He can see the rational side of things, when we, the paraniod often have a hard time seeing rationally. I do know your breathing problems all too well, I do it constantily mostly at night. I feel like I'm no getting enough air and freak out. But I believe it all comes down to being rational. This man is probalby aware of his sitaution, knows he wont die, and doesnt worry.

Old 09-24-2002, 01:14 PM   #3
    Kadree

Kadree HB User
    I can so relate to your feelings of anxiety about the breathing issues. My grandfather died from emphysema and he was always in good spirits no matter how rotten he was feeling. I think that I would be in a constant state of panic if I had that ailment. The breathing thing for me is mostly at night also, and it's a hard thing to deal with. When I can't breathe (or feel like I can't breathe) I have a panic attack almost instantly. Does anyone else find that it is especially bad when they stand up? I feel like I have to cross my arms over my chest just so I have the strength to stand there.
    Love and Best wishes to all
    Kadree

Old 09-26-2002, 12:13 PM   #4
    PinkBlazerNY

PinkBlazerNY HB User
    Maybe this will help you. These are quotes from Dr. Claire Weekes book, "Peace From Nervous Suffering"." So many ANXIOUS people find it hard to take a deep breath. This does not mean that your heart or lungs are damaged or diseased, it simply means your chest muscles are overtensed. You feel as if you are not getting enough air into your lungs.(hence the yawning, etc..) Nature was not so foolish as to make our conscious efforts fully responsible for our breathing, if she had, how would we breathe while sleeping? Our respiratory center in our brains regulate our breathing. If we don't take in enough oxygen, carbon dioxide accumulates in our blood; when it reaches a certain concentration this stimulates the breathing center, which then forces our lungs to take in more air which washes out the carbon dioxide. If you over breathe, don't let it frighten you, breathe as shallow as you can but don't be concerned with what might happen, it is normal.(giddiness, tingly hands etc..)the respiratory center will soon adjust 'til enough carbon dioxide as accumulated to correct the excess alkalinity. Do not be disappointed if, despite understanding, you still have occasional difficulty in breathing deeply. It is not important, and acceptance once more works the miracle by releasing the tension." Hope whoever reads this can understand what she is saying...all it is, is tension in our chest muscles. Learn to relax these muscles and watch how your breathing patterns improve. Anyone suffering from panic attacks, anxiety, or agoraphobia should read her books. She explains the reasons for ALL the symptoms people experience during these times. The symptoms are all perfectly normal and our bodies are working as they should.

Old 09-26-2002, 06:27 PM   #5
    jasmine30
    Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
    Hi everyone,
    The man I was referring to in this post...This afternoon he was driving home and blacked out below the hill from my parents house...I remained calm however it gave me an unpleasant feeling...He is ok just shook up a bit as this was the first time he didn't regain consciousness quickly..He had a cut on his right arm too...I can't allow things to bother me...This is so tough!!

Old 10-21-2002, 03:52 PM   #6
    ca46

ca46 HB User
    Hello everyone,
    I am new to these boards, but I am not new to panic/anxiety attacks.....I have managed to live with these attacks now for close to 15 years....I have to say that at the present time I am doing pretty good as far as attacks go....I have learned to deal with it as best as I can.....let me tell you my story, I am a woman 56 years old. two grown children, one grandchild, and only one husband.......when I first started to get these attacks, I went from doctor to doctor, with a whole list of terrible symptoms....I would get dizzy, feel like I am going to fall, cold sweat, usually these things would happen in the bank line, or supermarket line, places that i had to be.....the worse time to get them is when you are falling off in a deep sleep.....I have a small brown paper bag that goes with me everywhere.......I tend to hyperventilate, so breathing in and out of the paperbag helps restore your breathing....medication never seem to help me, it made be more nervous, so I learned to relax my body and just breath...I also pray alot because the feeling of thes attacks are just awful...just from my experience, when you think you are feeling the worse, just remember someone else is just alittle sicker than you....I hope my sharing this story helps someone.....
    CA

Closed Thread