It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Startled awake when dozing off..

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2003, 09:23 AM   #1
    jasmine30
    Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
    Question Startled awake when dozing off..

Hi,
    Sometimes when Im settling into bed eyes closed and everything I feel as if Im startled awake,like Im jumping.What could cause this..stress?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2003, 09:52 AM   #2
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
    I don't know what causes it, but it happens to me all the time.
    It sort of feels like I'm about to fall asleep and all of a sudden I'm wide awake.
    It almost seems like my body is finally relaxed after being tense all day and it sort of scares me awake because I'm not used to being that relaxed.

Old 05-24-2003, 11:33 AM   #3
    Inactive

ilaugh@myself.why HB User
    that happens to me too..
    another thing is that sometimes i feel sorta paralyzed right b4 i wake up..
    it's like i can't breathe or move and then i'm wide awake..
    i dunno.. it's strange..

Old 05-24-2003, 01:23 PM   #4
    andreaphilip3
    Inactive
    (female)

andreaphilip3 HB User
    speaking of sleep.... i have a question? does this happen to anyone? sometimes(not often thank god) i end up dreaming of being somewhere& having an attack & [email protected] the part where im having it in my dream which normally wouldnt be real, i actually have a real attack while im sleeping& my only recollection of it is waking in the morning feeling the way i do when ive finished having an attack.

Old 05-24-2003, 01:56 PM   #5
    tracey2775

tracey2775 HB User
    [email protected], i get that too, the paralized thing. my eyes are still closed but im awake and aware of everything going on around me but i cant seem to move or breath. i think to myself "please god wake my partner up so he can help me". its awful scary.

Old 05-24-2003, 03:15 PM   #6
    I Robertson
    Veteran

I Robertson HB User
    I have the answer to your question - this was mentioned by Dr C Steel on Good morning last year sometime. Apparently the reason that you suddenly are startled awake when you are almost asleep is that part of the brain is stimulated quite suddenly - can be brought on by a sudden drop in blood pressure or simply chance. I have had that senstaion loads of times and it is not specific to some-one suffering stress. Likewise the kinda paralysed feeling is again by part of the brain walking up momentarily and giving you an awareness of paralysis that you experience when asleep. I havre had that one too - we are a strange lot - huh!! All in all both symptoms are harmless if not interesting!

Old 05-24-2003, 04:37 PM   #7
    jasmine30
    Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
    Oh gosh now Im gonna worry that I have low blood pressure!!I worry about everything I feel..

Old 05-24-2003, 11:15 PM   #8
    ericbrown

ericbrown HB User
    Man, if you think that's strange... sometimes while in a dream, I find that things start to get REALLY strange. This feeling and experience is hard to put into words, but I'll do my best. When these dreams start getting very weird, I suddenly wake up... but when I do, I'm so confused... and my brain "hurts". It's almost that same feeling you get after you've constantly concentrated on a tough problem all day... or taking the SAT. When I wake up, I suddenly find myself with weird thoughts... and I couldn't even add 3+3 if I wanted to. It's like my brain has become scrambled... dazed and confused. When these happens, I find that I have a heaviness sensation all over my body (particularly my head, face, & chest).

Again, it's a weird feeling... and hard to put into words. But, maybe somebody will understand and have similar experiences. They're not fun... and it doesn't happen often. Usually I find myself falling into DEEP panic after one of these episodes!

Old 05-25-2003, 09:47 AM   #9
    andreaphilip3
    Inactive
    (female)

andreaphilip3 HB User
    thaats aweful eric. im sorry 4 u. i wish i could relate

Old 05-25-2003, 05:11 PM   #10
    I Robertson
    Veteran

I Robertson HB User
    Talking

Hi Jasmine - do not worry about having low pressure - if that is what causes the funny feeling then it is a momentary thing and nothing to worry about. It is like when you feel anxious the opposite happens - you breath quicker and shallower, your pulse and respiratory rate increase and your pressure goes up. Have you ever read the book Help For Your Nerves by Clare Weekes? great book it describes lots (and i mean lots) of the symptoms you all get and will reassure you that they are harmless. If it is any help when I was going through a really bad patch of anxiety I was MEGA tund into all my bodily reactions and sensations _ I could scare myself about anything. I am OK now and so can you be too - It just takes time!!!!

Closed Thread