It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• benzo under the tongue is fastest

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-28-2003, 03:29 PM   #1
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    Post benzo under the tongue is fastest

benzos such as xanax, valium, etc are good for reducing panic attacks and tablets are often carried for unexpected panic attacks or anxiety, fastest way for help is to disolve the tablet under the tongue, or sublingually( not for slow release versions) also some taste horrible....

On the sub-lingual issue...
    If you swallow the med with liquid, it goes into your stomach, is absorbed into the blood, makes its way through the liver, broken down into metabolites and then becomes active (this process is known in biochemistry as "first pass metabolism")= about one hour, give or take. Sub-lingual is absorbed through the mucus membranes in the mouth which per square inch have many capillaries into the bloodstream, and voila! more quickly effective because you skipped the whole route of first pass metablolism in the gut. This is why nicotine addiction is so difficult to break because in the case of nicotine you can get a "high" within 20-40 seconds of inhaling as the nicotine is passed directly through the mucus membranes into the bloodstream. This is also why nitroglycerin tablets are administered sub-lingually for angina, much faster response.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2003, 09:29 AM   #2
    Inactive

ilaugh@myself.why HB User
    Question

are you sure about all of that?

Old 06-29-2003, 05:11 PM   #3
    anja

anja HB User
    My doc told me the same thing, to let the Xanax disolve under the tongue for faster relief.

Old 06-30-2003, 09:59 AM   #4
    cgreg

cgreg HB User
    hry,

Thank you so much for your advice. I was beginning to feel anxious...my heart skipped a beat and I reached for my ativan. I put it under my tongue and it worked right away.
    I've read many of your posts and you give great advice. Thanks for being there for us!

Old 06-30-2003, 10:47 AM   #5
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
    What do you think? I have decided to try meds and I was wondering what should I try for my first time. I don't know about paxil,it gave my friend alot of sexual side effects. Any advice would help! thank you.

Old 06-30-2003, 01:33 PM   #6
    tempa

tempa HB User

I've been on Xanax for years, that's the only way I take it. You get used to the taste, but it's worth it. As soon as I feel anxious I pop one in my mouth and it's working in 5-10 min. So it almost stops the attack in mid-stream!! WHEW.....

Old 06-30-2003, 02:35 PM   #7
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

eventually you dont even need to take the tablet sometimes when panicky
    just knowing you have one and that it will work is enough to calm some down

Old 06-30-2003, 02:35 PM   #8
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

eventually you dont even need to take the tablet sometimes when panicky
    just knowing you have one and that it will work is enough to calm some down

Old 07-01-2003, 09:34 PM   #9
    AcIntegraLS

AcIntegraLS HB User
    ya i just do 1/2 a pill and it dissolves real quick, i sometimes swish it in my mouth in my gums too, hits ya quick im pretty much over panic attacks now thankfully...but sometimes i take 1/2 of my ativan just to help sleep...but not often...dont wanna be addicted

Old 07-05-2003, 01:08 AM   #10
    Soar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Soar HB User
    I tried it with klonopin....do not think it helped me instantly so I panicked a bit! A little scared because I recently switched meds and am obsessing.

Old 07-06-2003, 08:38 AM   #11
    techblues

techblues HB User
    Talking

This is very cool! I never thought about dissolving a Xanax under my tongue. I take half of a .5mg when I'm feeling panicky but always have to make it another 45 minutes before it works. It kind of tastes like taking a BC powder and it not all getting washed down by the water! Thanks for the trick!

------------------
    Best to you,

Tech

WPW syndrome misdiagnosed as PAT at age 2
    MVP and TVP diagnosed at age 32
    MVP induced Panic disorder age 33

Tech

WPW syndrome misdiagnosed as PAT at age 2
    MVP and TVP diagnosed at age 32
    MVP induced Panic disorder age 33

Old 07-08-2003, 01:22 PM   #12
    Jess123

Jess123 HB User
    Wow Your doctors are dumb for prescribing you that stuff. Mine didn't prescribe me that stuff because she said Benzos are extemely addictive and have horrible withdrawal effects(along with my psychiatrist). Many Dr's who DON'T specailize in depression/panic are unfortunately prescribing Benzos. Sure I know they work for a quick fix but I hope you don't plan on taking them regularly unless you don't mind being addicted to a drug. Meanwhile I WOULDN"T RECOMMEND PAXIL AS AN ANTIDEPRESSANT BECAUSE IT IS JUST AS BAD WITH WITHDRAWAL EFFECTS. Paxil also have side effects that are very disruptive to certain people (MAINLY WEIGHT GAIN). I took the SSRI fluoxetine. It worked! Minimal side effects since i gradually increased my dose to 20mg and practically No withdrawal since i tapered off and fluoxetine has the longest half-life of all the antidepressants. I felt better than ever after about a month of taking Fluoxetine. I'm glad I have a great DR who is EDUCATED. I really do genuinly wish you all the best of luck, that is why iam so offended that someone uneducated is recommending Benzoids to everyone.

Old 07-08-2003, 02:10 PM   #13
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
    Just because your Doctor didn't give you benzo's doesn't make our Doctor's dumb or uneducated!!!
    The closest I ever came to ending it all was when I tried an SSRI..two actually..Zoloft and then Paxil.
    The side effects were so severe, that jumping out my window seemed like a good option to me.
    I've taken Xanax everyday for almost 7 years.
    0.5 MG cut in half.
    The first half around 8AM then second half around 5PM.
    Not once in all of these years have I ever taken more than that, nor have I ever felt the need to.
    I know they can be addicting...funny, that was the first thing out of my "Stupid and Uneducated" Doctor's mouth.
    Yes, some people do develop a tolorance and/or dependence on benzo's.
    I'm here to tell you that not everyone does, so please don't paint everyone with the same brush.

Old 07-09-2003, 03:42 PM   #14
    wanneda

wanneda HB User
    Thumbs up

Thumbs up to you Gracie!,...I agree wholeheartedly!
    One would think that the "educated" (and 'uneducated)' realises sooner than later that, "one man's meat is another man's poison"...and, "Gopaul luck ain't Seepaul's luck"...etc, etc!

Am glad for Jess (we all are!), and am glad for me and for you Gracie and for all of us who have a success story! I join with you in supporting and encouraging all those who are still on the road.

Like any 'medicine' (or any other 'thing' actually)..what works for one does not necessarily work for all!It's why some of us are allergic to nuts, to pennicillin, why some are asthmatic, why for that matter some people get panic attacks and some do not!!...huh?

And oh!,..Jess?...I've got a great Doctor too!!!...she devotes more time to 'listening' than to dishing out the "pills" (that's what worked best for me!)

Bless!!

Old 07-09-2003, 03:51 PM   #15
    tempa

tempa HB User
    Jess123,
    I've been on Xanax as needed for years, I truly believe it has saved my butt in panic attack situations! If you read up on Benzos.. they are the #1 immeditate choice for dealing with panic attacks! They are the only drugs that can bring you down from one. I bet if you went to the ER for an attack that's the first thing they would give you... Xanax..Valuim...Ativan.. I took Zoloft, my Dad had to come and drag me out of bed I was so down.. Paxil, it brought on so many panic attacks, I thought my heart was going to fly out of my chest. There's a difference between being addicted and being dependent on a pill!!!

Closed Thread