It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• A Lot of People Need To Read This!!!!!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2003, 10:30 PM   #1
    Kat Dog

Kat Dog HB User
    Thumbs up A Lot of People Need To Read This!!!!!!!!!

Read this guys this is excatly the way I come to cure my on self and didnt even know what I was doing. This is what I mean by saying I become num to the feelings of panic and Anxiety and they went away and once i relized that it was all just the Big A and not a real feeling all of it went away for the most part all of it still every now and then I feel something differnt but I know what it is and dont panic.

Panic has many many many differnt ways of trying to get in. If One dont work it trys another and if you dont understand this then you are in trouble. I have found over the years it will toture you with Physcal fake symptoms then when they didnt scare me no more here came the mental head games that was the wrost till again I relized it was all a big game the Panic & Anxiety was playing to try to get in, onces I was not SKEERD of neither Physcal or Mental games it was playin then I consider myself almost all the way cured but I can tell you this it still trys but I stop it at the Door now. Yall read this it works and works well if you will try it. This is the Bible if you want to help cure yourselfs, I know I looked for it for 20 years and this is the very first time I have ever read anything like this and like to have fell out my chair here after I seen this.

Kat Dog

------------------------------------------------------

A perplexing problem faced by most people with panic disorder is that the physical symptoms of panic tend to shift, or change, over time. Every person's constellation of symptoms is slightly different, although many of the symptoms are the same. The confusing element is that, over time, and even during therapy, a person's physical symptoms may change.

This is many times frightening to the person who doesn't understand what is happening to them. For example, as a part of panic disorder, a person may be plagued by feelings of nausea for a long period of time, enter into therapy, and as the panic attacks are gradually cut off, the nausea disappears -- only to be replaced by a headache that the person is afraid is a brain tumor.

What is really happening here is actually positive. Once the person fully and completely realizes the nausea is simply a symptom that the mind associates with fear and panic, the symptom disappears. In its place another symptom appears -- whatever feels different or out of the ordinary. Then, the process begins again: The catastrophic misinterpretation -- blowing a physical symptom way out of proportion -- and then paying attention to it. And, as we know, the more attention you pay to these symptoms, the bigger they grow and the worse they get.

The person who understands that this will happen is two steps ahead of the game. Panic is very tricky -- it will continue to plague you as long as you let it. In therapy, we learn quickly to expect this symptom shifting and then to realize that this is a positive event -- a major symptom has gone away, and a new symptom has appeared. This new symptom is then identified for what it is, and we learn not to pay attention to it. Any of these "new" symptoms are, as a result, not as dramatic and intense. The shorter period of time it takes before you realize that a symptom has shifted and that panic is playing a trick on you, the quicker and easier the symptom will be to deal with and eradicate.

Once the panic attacks are eliminated, and the symptom-shifting starts, a person is well on the way to recovery. Symptom-shifting is a positive element that, when viewed properly, indicates that you are on the road to recovery.

-- Thomas A. Richards, Ph.D., Psychologist

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2003, 11:59 AM   #2
    hry33
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
    there are some good ideas in your post, however anxiety and panic attacks dont make us immune to physical illness and I think all new symptoms should be checked out by a doc

Old 08-20-2003, 02:26 PM   #3
    UmmmmmWTF
    Inactive

UmmmmmWTF HB User
    hry, i think you misunderstood what he was saying. it all makes perfect sense to me. hes not saying that people with panic are immune to illness....hes saying that after being checked for a symptom, and nothing ever comes of it...we don't think its a tumor, so we attribute it to our anxiety and it goes away cuz we're not pondering on it. thats how i was...i had headaches, got an MRI and everything was great, so they went away, then i started getting dizzy. well, thats been diminishing ever since i got checked by an ENT and other Dr's. my finger was getting tingly, which i thought was a pinched nerve, but got it checked and he said it was nothing at all, so it went away. but then the next thing happened and so forth. i understand completly what hes talking about, and i think if a lot of people read it, it will help a lot. however, the point hry was trying to make, was prolly if your bleeding out your eyes, don't think its anxiety...or if you have this massive lump on your chest, its not anxiety....things of that nature.

Old 10-03-2003, 03:15 AM   #4
    daad

daad HB User
    Question

I dont know of I am suffereing form anxiety or not. I have convinced myself i have a Brain Tumor I have a headache all the time and cant concentrate on anything other than this headache and having a Tumor.

My Dads friend daughter died of a brain tumor and someone who I was in School was diagnosed with a Brain Tumor.

I had a CT Scan 4 months ago and 3 months ago and that was clear.

Myh family thinks its mind over matter. Could anxiety be causing the headaches?? and what do you suggest I do.

Please help!

Dan

Old 10-03-2003, 05:47 AM   #5
    Lectus
    (male)

Lectus HB User
    Headaches can come from many causes, with one of the least likely being a brain tumor of some kind. Your father having a friend who's daughter had brain cancer doesn'tmake you more likely to get it. Knowing people in highschool who got brain cancer doesn't make you more likely to get it. If you can afford it I'd still get it checked out, especially if it's affecting your concentration/ability to think. It's hard to do without, so it's best just to eliminate the possibility of anything catastrophic.

If another symptom takes the place of the headache, you can probably bet that it's anxiety. Physical symptoms and pains can definitely appear because of anxiety, and be made even worse.

Old 10-03-2003, 09:19 AM   #6
    losingit

losingit HB User
    Hi Katdog,

I completly agree with what you are saying. It just makes sense. I have had like everyone here just about every medical test done and every time thinking the worst would come of it.
    After a few years of suffering I started to feel relieved by the findings that tests would reveal. Because it meant that I was'nt completely crazy. Now I have been diagnosed with many small non-life threatning problems and almost everyone of them carries similar symptoms as panic and anxiety. As you stated in your post that once we have dealt with or rather identified what is causing our pain or problem those pains or problems dissappear and new ones rise up from the ashes to plaque our minds and bodies once again.
    I had always said that if I knew what was wrong I could deal with it and move on. Its like you stated realizing what is wrong and identifing it as another door for anxiety/panic and then moving on to the road of recovery. I think it is a very hard road and we need to have a therapist encouraging us to let go of our fear that it is something serious. This technique probably works great in a group setting.

Thank you for you wonderful insight.
    losingit

Old 10-03-2003, 09:59 AM   #7
    worrywort
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
    Yes, thank you for thinking of us, it does make sense!

Old 10-03-2003, 02:09 PM   #8
    elflike

elflike HB User
    I do agree with this, HOWEVER i'm having trouble with one thing.
    In the begining I had an EKG done for my rapid heart rate, and i had CAT scans done to try and figure out why my head always hurt. I used to get scared that i was sick all the time, but now I have come to the realization that those symptoms were from panic. I know that im a very healthy 21yr old girl, and that these symptoms are only caused by the panic. Here's my problem..... Just because i have realized that, it doesn't mean your panic/anxiety will go away. Maybe what you are talking about is more of a generalized anxiety disorder. I suffer from panic attacks that can happen when i'm very stressed, or when i'm completly relaxed. I know my rapid heart rate doesn't mean i'm having a heart attack, but that doesn't make my heart stop beating fast. It's something that i cant control. It just happens and there is no amount of rational that can stop it. I slightly control my panic attacks because i know that my physical symptons arent' really the sign of some deadly illness, but i can't stop them. This is why i believe some people need meds. These anitdepressants and other anxiety meds control things in your brain, that you normaly have little to no control over.
    While i do agree that many anxiety suffers can benefit from what that doctor wrote, I have to disagree with the statment that once you realize these things your anxiety will go away. I realize everything that he wrote, i know i'm not really sick, but i sitll have panic. The symptoms are still there.
    I hope everyone who has to live with panic and anxiety can find a way to cope in the most productive and healthy way. I do think this is a great relizatoin, but what happens when you realize this, and you still have the physical symptonm.
    I wish you all luck!!!
    Courtney

Closed Thread