It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Anxiety and Heart Palpitation ? Everyone I need your input. Please participate!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2003, 09:39 PM   #1
    special_ahs

special_ahs HB User
    Post Anxiety and Heart Palpitation ? Everyone I need your input. Please participate!

Everyday, my anxiety starts with a fear of thinking that there is something wrong with my heart. My doctor says that my heart is fine, but it is hard to trust his words and not worry about it. I know that when my anxieties are high, my hearts seems to beat faster, but sometimes it over-reacts to body movements.

Hear are my symptoms:

1) Starts to beat faster for no reason. Approx 90 ~100 bpm. My resting rate is 60 ~ 70 bpm.

2) Even slow walking raises my heart rate.

3) Standing up suddenly makes my heart to beat "SLOW" and "HARD" for couple of seconds. I can feel in my chest and throat....scary. Sometime I feel dizzy and light headed because of this. This is what worries me most!
    Somebody told me that this is normal since I was just lying down and blood is not reaching my brain quick enough, but I don't think being able to feel your heart beat and beating slow and hard is normal. I'm just hoping that this is caused by my anxieties. Do you have this symptom?

4) This is not a joke. When I pee,,,, my heart seems to beat harder. Not fast, just harder.

5) My heart hurts time to time. Sometimes it feels like poking with a pin....sometimes it feels
    like pressing down on a bruised spot. These pain last for about 1~2 seconds. I don't think they are originating from my esophagus or skeletal muscles/ligments.

Did you also experienced any abnormal sensation or reaction from your heart due to anxieties? Please let me know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2003, 10:08 PM   #2
    VooDooFlp

VooDooFlp HB User
    Hi!! Well i get the exact same symptoms or whatever u wanna call it as you except for the pee thing LOL! Anyway its funny because all that you just posted is the excat same thing that happens to me. The doctor said everything was fine with my heart i had all bunch of tests done.. from X-Rays to the "Holter" seems like everything came out fine but i still worry!! RThe thing that used to worry me the most was the pain in the heart.. "poking with a pin." I never though anyone had felt this before untill i read this threat. Seems like some people get this feeling its really annoying it usually stays in for like 1 - 5 minutes. Anyway seems like you suffer from anxiety the same way i do. One thing that helps me and i guess its poreatty obious is to not think about it. I know its hard specially with your heart rate up.. but try to talk to someone or bring back a memory where you laugh alot. This usually helps. How long have you been suffering from anxiety/panic attacks? You should learn to handle them better after some months. Oh yeah and by the way when you stand up try to o so slowly. The dizzyness happens because your blood preassure changes (adjusts doesnt go up or down it just adjusts when you lay down etc) and then when you get up too fast oxygen doesnt get to your brain as fast as it should since your blood preassure must change first. This is normal for some people as far as i know.

[This message has been edited by VooDooFlp (edited 10-19-2003).]

Old 10-18-2003, 10:45 PM   #3
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User
    Oh my, just read your post, I am going thru the same thing right now! My anti-d that I had been on for 7 years has failed me & I'm in the process of changing to another & I've had the rapid heart beat, the heaviness on the left side, sometimes it feels like my heart is going to explode it beats so fast & most times it's when I try to go to sleep, can hear it beating in my ears etc. So, now trying to sleep is a trigger for me. At times it will also do it for no apparent reason, I can be sitting watching a tv program & not even thinking about it. I think my anti-d failing has triggered the panic & now here I am with the new one not working yet, only had 3 hours sleep last nite & had to take a xanax just to get a 3 hour nap today. It's scary for sure.

Old 10-19-2003, 03:10 PM   #4
    tracey2775

tracey2775 HB User
    I started getting bad palpatations when i was 16. Im now 28. I was, and still am, convinced theres something wrong with my heart. Its a vicious circle. My heart pounds and i then panic because its pounding which then makes my heart worse. Like you it beats weired when im doing different things. If i kneel down it starts fluttering, if i walk up the stairs it pounds so hard i think its gonna burst, if i lay down it flutters. I have to sit on the bed for a good 10 mins before i can lay down. Only last week was i actually given something for these palps and its called Propranolol. I cant say enough about it. My heart is so calm now and no longer plays up. I wasnt too sure on taking it at first though, read my post on the heart section "on beta blockers and im so frightened".

------------------
    tracey

Old 10-19-2003, 04:26 PM   #5
    DawnMarie1978
    Veteran

DawnMarie1978 HB User
    Same here. I have had every test done under the sun. My holter monitor results came out with an average heart rate of 98bpm. But what I am learning is even if I had to live with it I would probably live a full life anyways. Some people are born with tachcardia (fast heart rate) without anxiety or panic and they live full lives. Heart rate isnt really that important unless there is something wrong with the beat itself. And dont worry if you had holter or the EKG they would find irregularity. One of the most important things about concering panic is to accept it. If you absolutely have to make a list of all tests you find necessary and then STOP when they all come back negative. Believe me the doctors are not wanting to give you a false report that your heart is fine if it isnt. Yes there insurance would cover most of it if they were wrong but there careers could be wrecked and they didnt go to school that long to deal with mistakes like that. If there was something wrong with your heart it could almost always be dealt with or fixed so they wouldnt try to overlook it.

My heart rate goes up sometimes when I walk too thats because I am thinking about it and that automatically releases a little bit of adrenaline, again harmless.

Also when I pee I notice my heart rate increases too, try to pay attention to what you do. I found for me I hold it a little bit and then walk fast to the bathroom, so it increases.

Statistically speaking when I asked a doctor and then another to be honest with me and give me the stats on life span of someone like me that panics all the time. Guess What, the answer was absolutely the same life span, not 1 or 2% higher death rate but the same. You are going to be alright.

Here is another tip after an average of three weeks of walking five times a week for at least 30 min. Your resting heart rate begins to decrease. Thats because when you walk something called the vegus nerve I believe it is called is stimulated and helpt to lower your heart rate.

Old 10-19-2003, 06:28 PM   #6
    Axenstar

Axenstar HB User
    It is rather odd how you can be fine during the day, but then all of a sudden you get caught on a thought and then get whisked away into a panic mode.

Sometimes when i have a pnic attack it is related to these sharp/dull/burning pains my Costochondritis gives me. In fact, my doctor even told me if i had anxiety because of chest pains, it is a result of panicing over a completely benign chest cage damage.

But, one thing i have noticed when it comes to chest pain as a result of anxiety itself, is an almost wrenching pain i sometimes get when i am asleep and i wake up in a panic attack. It just feels like all the adrenaline rushes to one spot just above my sternum and a little below the collarbone and is trying to explode out my chest.

Weirdness.

Old 10-20-2003, 04:36 AM   #7
    Doug1984

Doug1984 HB User
    Special ahs,

Same stuff has happened to me. If your doctor says your heart is fine, then it is. Myself and many others have gone through this. Take care.

Old 10-20-2003, 04:12 PM   #8
    chrislvj

chrislvj HB User
    these are symptons of panic disorter, it's perfectly normal.......but you need to realize that it's you who is causing these anxious episodes. learn to relax. when you're heart starts pounding thatsa sign that you're body is in stress and you're probably going to have a panic attack. let youself fealthis way, don't add to it that you're having a heart attack or here it comes again, and scare yourself with what ever it is your thinking,IT JUST ANXIETY IT WON'T HURT YOU, relax and it will go away, tell youself it's just anxiety and it's ok to have it ,everyone has it,it will pass take deep breaths and count to 4 breathing in and out do this for about 60 seconds and then distract youself let your self feel this way.It's ok.soon it will go away soon
    you will be an expert and you'll know that you are in control,and you won't be scared of them no more!!!! keep positive the next one might last 5 minutes, next one will last 4 minutes, it's ok and keep telling youself this .ou've convinced youself to be scared now convince yourself that you're ok. it's just anxiety the mre you make of this the more it's going to stay!!!!!good luck and soon they will go away but it takes time you need to experience them in order to overcome this.

Old 10-21-2003, 05:41 PM   #9
    slyJohn

slyJohn HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by special_ahs:
    Everyday, my anxiety starts with a fear of thinking that there is something wrong with my heart. My doctor says that my heart is fine, but it is hard to trust his words and not worry about it. I know that when my anxieties are high, my hearts seems to beat faster, but sometimes it over-reacts to body movements.

Hear are my symptoms:

1) Starts to beat faster for no reason. Approx 90 ~100 bpm. My resting rate is 60 ~ 70 bpm.

2) Even slow walking raises my heart rate.

3) Standing up suddenly makes my heart to beat "SLOW" and "HARD" for couple of seconds. I can feel in my chest and throat....scary. Sometime I feel dizzy and light headed because of this. This is what worries me most!
    Somebody told me that this is normal since I was just lying down and blood is not reaching my brain quick enough, but I don't think being able to feel your heart beat and beating slow and hard is normal. I'm just hoping that this is caused by my anxieties. Do you have this symptom?

4) This is not a joke. When I pee,,,, my heart seems to beat harder. Not fast, just harder.

5) My heart hurts time to time. Sometimes it feels like poking with a pin....sometimes it feels
    like pressing down on a bruised spot. These pain last for about 1~2 seconds. I don't think they are originating from my esophagus or skeletal muscles/ligments.

Did you also experienced any abnormal sensation or reaction from your heart due to anxieties? Please let me know.
    hello there special_ahs. since me and you have similar panic disorders im sure this will help you some. hehe, all of the heart palpitations and symptoms you have described are exactly what i get. and im talking exactly...

eventually, once you start eating better like i had mentioned to you earlier, your heart rate will not be jumping up to 100bpm as much. i remember after my first panic attack, it did this to me too for a several months. i would wake up in the middle of the night and my heart rate would be jump to 140bpm and i would be laying there crying thinking something was terribly wrong. but that has all ended. i sleep better now and my heart doesn't jump up to 140bpm anymore unless i am doing something strenuous.

slow walking increases my heart rate a lot too. it seems as if my heart rate as i walk is much higher than what it used to be before my first panic attack. i have to deal with this everyday while walking around my university. because of that, i have been learning to deal with it better and better. when this first started, i was taking baby steps and frequent rests because i was so scared of my heart beating any faster but now i am getting better with it.

about you standing up from a sitting or lying position, it is perfectly normal for your heart to start beating slow and hard. mine does the exact same thing. it's supposed to do that. it has something to do with the blood rushing down your body when you sit up. eventually after standing up for about a minute you will notice that your heart will start beating at a faster normal rate.

also, 99% of the people out there have a faster heart rate when urinating. this is just the nature of human beings.

like me, your panic attacks have made you become very aware of all the things that goes on with your heart, and they are all normal things that you never even thought of at first before your attacks began. i know it's hard to grasp now but nothing is wrong with you and over a period of time you will realize this. just do the things i had said in your other thread and you will begin feeling better eventually.

Old 10-21-2003, 05:42 PM   #10
    slyJohn

slyJohn HB User
    oops, double post.

[This message has been edited by slyJohn (edited 10-21-2003).]

Old 10-22-2003, 08:37 AM   #11
    special_ahs

special_ahs HB User
    Thanks Slyjohn!
    I feel much better now.
    You always make me feel better.
    Thanks again.

Everyone on this board is so helpful. If it wasn't for you guys, I would be worry my butt off to death.

Old 10-22-2003, 09:04 AM   #12
    DawnMarie1978
    Veteran

DawnMarie1978 HB User
    Hi everyone this is bits and pieces from another forum open to the public. I thought it had an interesting topic seeing as thats what most of us with panic anxiety worry about. This discussion was written within the last couple of months, and include the opinions of two people going to nursing school.

been working out seen a cardio doc and all that, i still have a resting pulse of like 80-100bpm, i keep having horrible thoughts that im going to die young because my heart will wear out too quickly...

anyone know? my EKG and my stress test were perfect... what gives?!?

I am not a doctor but I am always worried about my heart rate so I have reseached a little bit and 80-100 bpm really isn't high. A VERY athletic person can have a resting heart rate of 50-60 bpm but a normal person usually has one between 70-90. I don't think that 100 is DANGEROUS but I don't like it if mine gets that high although it hasn't since I got back on meds
    There are a lot of sights you can go to to check it out for yourself. I just typed 'normal heart rate' on my search and came up with loads of sites.
    I don't know if a constant high heart rate will shorten your life. I don't know if your heart has a max amount of beats before it gives out. Everyone is different I think.
    But like the last post-er said, if it is worrying you ask your Dr. He/she can probably put your mind at ease thar you are ok. Maybe an antianxiety med would help. That is why mine use to race.
    Good luck!

I'm a nursing student and 60 - 100 bpm is considered normal. Each person is different; however, beats over 100 is considered to be tachycardic and can occur normally if a person is exercising, stressed, anxious, etc. If you experience symptoms such as lightheadedness/fainting, shortness of breath, chest pain, or nausea you need to see a physician immediately.

If you've had EKGs and they're normal, then I wouldn't worry too much (worrying can cause it to increase by itself!). If you had ANY problems, they'd show up in the EKG.

I've had concerns as well about my heart rate. Mine usually runs 85 bpm. Do you drink caffeine? Mine definitely goes up after a couple cups of coffee!

I used to go to Wal-mart 3 times a day to check my bp and HR!! I never knew anyone else did that! Keep in mind though that driving to Wal-mart and walking into the store concerned and apprehensive about you HR is NOT a resting heart rate. It is an anxious heart rate. You are worried that is why you are checking it, right? A RESTING heart rate is preferrable after 10 minutes of non-activity or stress. So in many anxious people it is a little hard to get a true resting heart rate.
    I bet if you get your anxiety about your heart rate down your heart rate will go down. Catch 22 I know.
    Good luck!

P.S. I take klonopin 1/2 .5mg twice a day. Very low dose mild sedative that the dr told me is less addicting that xanax that I use to take and it has really helped lower my anxiety and HR.

I used to get freaked out about my pulse rate too. I've had periods of time (days or weeks) when it's been very high. It won't kill you. The heart is an amazing machine that can take a lot of beats. My advice to you: STOP taking your pulse - every time you do it, you keep your anxiety levels up. Adrenaline and Cortisol make your heartbeat faster. Instead, go for a walk or a run or try some full body relaxation. Over time, these things will help reduce your stress hormone levels.

Hi all,

I'm a nursing student as well. I wonder how many of us students have anxiety issues??

The normal resting pulse rate is 60-100 bpm, but......just like life, it is subjective. One of my classmates has a normal resting pulse rate of a little over 100bpm....that is how her body operates. That would be a problem for me, though, since my normal is in the low 80's.

That being said, my resting pulse rate is now between 107-110 bpm!!!!! It has been this way for the past five months, and I just can't seem to get it to come down. I was having a major flare-up of my social anxiety since January, and my vital readings are obviously agreeing with my mental state!! Lol!! My blood pressure is up as well.

My doctor prescribed me a beta blocker called Inderal. It will lower your blood pressure and heart rate, so that your poor little ole heart doesn't have to work as hard. I said that I'd have an 80-year old's heart by the time I was 40-years old!!! But the Inderal works wonders. I take a 10-mg tablet three times per day.
    Within 30-minutes of the dose, my heart rate is down in the lower 70's. My blood pressure also drops down to a nice level. It does not affect my concentration, my energy, my feelings.....it is NOT a psychotropic. It just helps to block that darn ole adrenaline.

Take care! all!

I've had similar problems for many years now-- along with high resting heart rate I used to have poor blood circulation, cold feet, wet palms, etc. My doctor suggested exercise and it did help in many respects. It was problematic at first, since whenever I did cardio, I couldn't last for more than 10 minutes, my heart rate would shoot up to 160 and up in no time, and I wasn't even running -- just walking at a fast pace ( I'm 27 and not overweight). My doctor suggested that I take Atenolol, a type of beta blocker so that I can tolerate even moderate exercise. It did slow down my heartbeat, but it also gave me pretty uncomfortable irregular heartbeat. For the past couple of years I haven't been using it continuously, I only take it one a day before a work out. I feel great now and my resting heart rate went down some, but not much, so it must be individual and although it may seem like it's pretty high, as long as you feel OK and it doesn't bother you, it's probably within what's normal.

One of the most common physical effects of anxiety and panic attacks is an increase in heart rate. Having your heart beat outta your chest is definitely scary, but unless you have a heart condition it's safe. During rigorous exercise I'd often have my heart rate above 175bpm for 45 minutes or more, with no ill effects. My resting heart rate is usually around 80 or so. Keep in mind that the human heart is probably one of the most durable and reliable pumps ever created (from an engineering perspective, that is!). If you live to be 70, your heart will beat about 3 BILLION times! Pretty mind-boggling.

Just make sure to keep an eye on your blood pressure. I also get a blood test at least once a year - my doctor recommends it to all her patients on anti depressants and anti-anxiety drugs.
    "Above all else, to thine own self be true."

William Shakespeare

Hi!

You are NOT alone....my resting heart rate stays right around 95 bpm. I used to freak out about it too. No it won't kill you...it's anxiety.
    During panic attacks where a dr. has been available, my heart rate has shot up to 180 bpm.
    During excercise for 60 minutes or so my heart rate can stay sustained for about 150 bpm.

I have no heart problems whatsoever. Relaxing about it is the best medicine. Maybe you could try to get some excercise. There was one time I sustained a resting heart rate of 80 b/c I had been excercising so much. I felt a lot better.

But don't worry...you aren't going to die. It's just your nerves.

that is interesting... I've always had a high resting heart rate.

I've been told time and time again that its not dangerous. But lowering it some will help reduce anxiety, because an increased heart rate is in the mind / body loop that is created by anxiety. And anywhere in that loop that you can have an impact has an effect on anxiety.

I took a small dose of antenelol for years and it reduced my anxiety. It has some of the same effects of taking a minor tranquilizer like xanex or k'pin without the addictive qualities.

Some people can actually lower there own heart rate through meditation and relaxation, however, even though I learned to do those things and they lower my anxiety, I never could manipulate my heart rate, significantly, that way.

I have a great BP for a big ole boy like me, but my heart rate is generally high.

My resting heart rate has been at least 120 for years now. I've had every possible test done and they keep telling me they have no explanation, becuse even on xanax or ativan it only goes down to around 110.

My resting heart rate has fallen around 96 for years now...I thought I was the only person who had such a high resting rate! Feels good to know I'm not the only one.

Although I wonder if it's actually lower, and just gets higher when I get it tested because I start thinking "what if it comes out really high? Will it be 'normal?'" and all these other concerns.

Hello,
    I sometimes think I have a high resting pulse. Around 90-95. But, after reading some posts I do wonder if it is lower when I'm not checking it. It seems as soon as I start to time it everything starts to speed up. I was thinking I had an irregular heartbeat because of this now I wonder if it is anxiety. I try not to take my pulse but I can't seem to get away from it. Sometimes I freak out because I think it is too low. Then I freak out and it skyrockets. So, I'm rarely comfortable with it. I've had tests and nothing is wrong.

Old 10-22-2003, 09:43 AM   #13
    slyJohn

slyJohn HB User
    the above was interesting to read. i used to be an athlete so my resting heart rate is very low. but now i am always aware of my heart rate and have anxiety over that so i haven't been working out anymore. i wore a holter monitor when my anxiety attacks began. during my attacks my heart rate would jump as high as 180bpm but it usually rose to 130 or so. for my age, my maximum heart rate should be 200. usually during the day my heart rate will be around 65 but little activity increased it easily. when im asleep my heart rate is 48, due to the cardio i used to do in the past i guess.

Old 10-22-2003, 10:33 AM   #14
    DawnMarie1978
    Veteran

DawnMarie1978 HB User
    I just thought it may help some people to see that yes lots of people are walking around with 90 95 100 or greater resting heart rate some for years and they are doing fine. If you are a really persistent person you can lower your heart rate by conditioning your heart by walking or lightly jogging. After several weeks of doing this at least a few times a day it begins to lower your resting heart rate by stimulating the vegus nerve which in turn lowers your heart rate. Also this exercise expands certain parts of your heart so it pumps more blood with less effort. IE less beats.

Closed Thread