It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Panic Disorders Message Board

• Acid reflux and new panic attacks

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
    Jamez3
    (male)

Jamez3 HB User
    Acid reflux and new panic attacks

First of all I would like to say, I AM SORRY!!! This is a general apology. Until two weeks ago, I too was among the A--holes who thought that panic attacks were easily controlled and couldn't possibly be THAT bad to deal with.

Well played Karma, as I now know first hand just how intense they can be.

During an episode of what I now have been told was severe acid reflux, I began having a couple of painful jolts to the center of my chest. The first two scared me a bit, but I thought it would pass, the next jolt would change my entire being, My body went flush and weak, my heart pounding, tunnel vision and PURE FEAR were to follow. I have been told this was the first of many panic attacks to come over the next two weeks.

I have never been an anxious person, I am under a lot of stress, but have always thought I could handle it, and let it go. I am now beginning to believe that instead of letting it all go, I may have been bottling it up for the last 20+ years.

Over the last two weeks, I have been terrified to eat, exercise, cough, and even go to work alone for fear of this life altering feeling I have been having on occasion, out of nowhere. I truly feel that the chest pain from acid reflux triggered the panic button in my system something awful.

It has become the Fear of fear it's self. I cannot remove my mind from the possibility that it might and probably will happen again. As you all know it feels and has the EXACT same symptoms of a heart attack. <------- crappy biomechanical design in my opinion ;-)

I have gone to the ER, EKG, blood work, chest X-rays all good. This I must admit helped the severity tremendously. At 35 years old, I have never until now even knew this to be possible. I do not like to take meds, I am on Zantac for the Acid reflux. I guess I am simply looking for someone to say, Yes James, it is panic, and me too.

Last night I had one hit, I sat up, pressed the souls of my feet together in an Indian style position and simply told myself it was time to fight back, fear turned to determination, and it seemed to pass quickly. This part I think I can tackle on my own. That being said, the help I need is to pacify the lingering feeling that the doctors are wrong and that my heart has problems. This is the curse holding my particular cycle in tact, this because of my family, and the thought of leaving them without me seems to break my heart and then send it into a tail spin with the rest of my body in tow.

Thank you for listening, and I said in the beginning of this novel, I AM VERY SORRY, for my arrogance, and my ignorance to this condition, and I humbly ask all who read this to forgive me, and to find it in there heart to offer some insight.

Thank you in advance, and may you all find success in your self healing endeavors.

James 35, hoping to 85 someday.

Last edited by Jamez3; 10-31-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
    movielover40
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User
    Re: Acid reflux and new panic attacks

I have also found out how bad GERD can be. I had so much trouble I was on a liquid diet for a couple of days everytime I ate something I would start choking and throwing up.

GERD can make you feel like a heart attack...

Now that your aware and had a good physical know that it will soon pass.

Best of luck. Try some over the counter Prevacid during the day and take Zantec at night. Also take some Tums right away if you feel bad.

Closed Thread

Tags
    acid reflux, panick attacks