It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board

• Worried my daughter's grandma is going too far

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2016, 12:39 PM   #1
    mamaKAT081183
    (female)

mamaKAT081183 HB User
    Worried my daughter's grandma is going too far

Is it normal or acceptable for the grandmother of an 8 year old girl to make the child wear maxi pads (intended for use during menstruation) on a daily basis either in case of accidents or to prevent staining in the child's underwear, taking into consideration that the child has extremely rare occasions of accidents. I'm worried this can cause yeast infections which will lead to a whole new set of questions. The grandma also still bathes her when my child is visiting and an 8 year old is fairly capable of cleaning themselves and doesn't need an adult to wash her body or hair for her. My daughter complains that grandma treats her like a baby. I'm worried, this doesn't seem to me to be normal ot acceptable behavior towards a girl that is on the verge of puberty and young womanhood....what do I do???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #2
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
    Re: Worried my daughter's grandma is going too far

I don't think it's normal to make her wear a maxi-pad. I would just talk to the grandmother and tell her you don't want her to do that and explain why.....
    also at 8 years old she is old enough to shower alone!
    you are not wrong in thinking that this isn't a good idea.....

Old 08-19-2016, 04:46 PM   #3
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

You should be worried. You need to have a talk with your mom and tell her that this is not acceptable. It is essential that you advocate for your child. I realize that you may feel uncomfortable, and you may feel it's disrespectful to tell your mom not to do things, but you MUST. Your child needs to feel safe with her loved ones, and treated in ways that are sensible and won't screw her up. Wearing a maxi pad is a good way to screw a kid up.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
    mamaKAT081183
    (female)

mamaKAT081183 HB User

Thank you! I've never been very comfortable with her grandma (it's actually her paternal grandmother ) but this information just came to my attention in the last week. I've had the good touch/bad touch talk with my daughter and so has her pediatrician, as the mother of two little girls I've always been terrified of any abuse and on the look out for signs of that nature. We are currently in a custody dispute, filed against me by my kids father AND his mother and they are doing some serious trash talk so I need to be careful how I approach any talks so it doesn't blow up, I don't want my kid to see or hear of us arguing but I did not think this was a normal occurrence so Thank You!

The following user gives a hug of support to mamaKAT081183:
    sweetpotato13 (08-20-2016)
    Old 08-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #5
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

Be careful, and keep protecting your little ones! They are trusting in you for that.
    God bless you.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #6
    aleksia
    (female)

aleksia HB Useraleksia HB User

No, that's not normal. That can be damaging to your daughter not only physically, but also mentally. You need to protect your daughter.

Closed Thread