It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board

• Teenage 13Y Girl night problems?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2016, 07:56 PM   #1
    Breebree
    (female)

Breebree HB User
    Teenage 13Y Girl night problems?

My daughter is 13 years old and after getting up to pee at night, she will run from her room entrance to her bed as if something is chasing her. She will repeatedly say stay away get away, even though she sees nothing. She gets little sleep every night. What do I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Teenage 13Y Girl night problems?

Your daughter should probably be monitored in a sleep study. Either something is going on in the bathroom that she doesnt want you to know about (not likely) or she is doing this while asleep and has no idea she is doing it. Taking her to get a sleep study will shed allot of light on this.
    Can you talk to her doctor about this?

Old 10-31-2016, 01:52 PM   #3
    sweetpotato13
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

If I were to guess I would say she's having night terrors. When you chat with her about why she does this, what does she tell you? If she doesn't remember it, I would definitely guess night terrors, which I think is a type of sleepwalking.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #4
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Breebree View Post
    My daughter is 13 years old and after getting up to pee at night, she will run from her room entrance to her bed as if something is chasing her. She will repeatedly say stay away get away, even though she sees nothing. She gets little sleep every night. What do I do?

Hello there

Have you had a good discussion with your daughter about what might be happening? Could it simply be a case of being scared of the dark and that is her way of coping by telling things that might be hiding in the darkness (in her mind) to stay away? Only a thought.

My kids 10-14yrs are all afraid of the dark for some reason and run when they have to be up in the night. I haven't heard them speaking though.

I hope you can work out a way of comfort for her!
    Best wishes,
    K

Old 11-29-2016, 05:23 AM   #5
    Kszan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

It sounds like she's afraid of the dark. Why not just get her a tiny flashlight that she can leave next to her bed for the walk to and from the bathroom? Or put nightlights in the hallway and bathroom?

Old 11-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #6
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kszan View Post
    It sounds like she's afraid of the dark. Why not just get her a tiny flashlight that she can leave next to her bed for the walk to and from the bathroom? Or put nightlights in the hallway and bathroom?

This is what we do

Old 11-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
    quincy
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

All great suggestions. Definitely talk with her and maybe night lights in the hallway and bathroom would be a good thing.
    q

Closed Thread