It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board

• Head lice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-20-2005, 05:28 PM   #1
    Soulcatcher
    Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User
    Question Head lice

OMG. I was told today when I went to pick up my four year olds that some child in a different room had head lice. I get home and check their heads and they have it!! I waited four hours in the Health Dept for head lice shampoo and I am washing everything and changing sheets all the fun stuff that come along with head lice. What I don't get is....IF a child was in a totally different room how in the heck did it walk over to a different entrance and get in my girls heads? Do you think maybe the school might have issues with head lice? How would you ask that? I can not afford for them to constantly get head lice. My hair is down to my butt and thick. I had to tell my son's kindergarten teacher so she could tell her class's parents because he had nits too. I'm scared to send them back tomorrow because their heads are spotless now and I don't want them to get reinfested again. What would you do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2005, 06:20 PM   #2
    anakalia
    (female)

anakalia HB User
    Re: Head lice

If you're this concerned, keep your child home. You also should contact the school...they might not allow a child back in the school for so many days, and let them know that supposedly the other kid was in a different class and your child still got it, so maybe all the kids need to be checked and those with it, sent home until it is gone. Hope this helps.

Old 09-20-2005, 06:50 PM   #3
    Soulcatcher
    Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

hmmm I didn't thin about them not being allowed back. I don't see why not, they don't have anything on their hair now but it does concern me if they can catch it again. When I talked to the school they said they had a spray. Maybe I will keep them out. I wonder if the spray is any good???

Old 09-21-2005, 03:33 AM   #4
    manazoid
    (female)

manazoid HB User

ok i have some advise for you regarding head lice. I was the volunteer head checker for my daughters school for years and i have dealt with head lice myself a few times. Just because it was someone elses class that reported having head lice doesnt mean your girls class is safe. First of all the child in the other class could have a brother or sister in your class or could play with someone there. Some children in your daughters class may have had it and not reported it to the school. Its not anyones fault that children get head lice. It doesnt mean you are dirty or anything. As far as your children getting it back they may. Belive me those nits are hard to get rid of. You should continue to use the lice comb after their bath at night to help rid of the nits still stuck. Something i have always used is tea tree oil. you can get it at the drug store and all i do is put a couple of drops in my hand with the shampoo and wash their hair with it. It unglues all of the nits from the hair shaft. You have to remember that the lice shampoo does not kill nits.(the babys inside the eggs) you can sent them back to school the same day as long as they have had the shampoo and had the nits combed out. Head lice cannot jump. they are transmitted through head to head contact or sharing combs hats scarves etc. That is why it is always younger kids that get it because they play so close together. If you want to help protect them from it in the future, remind them not to share anything that goes near your head and keep their hair tied up. It really helps because their hair is less likely to bush into someone else. P.S. it doesnt mean your school is dirty or the problem. All it takes is one child and it can infest an entire school. Anyway good luck i hope your little ones dont get it back because i really do know what a pain it is to get rid of it.

Old 11-17-2005, 01:34 PM   #5
    k_c_lady
    (female)

k_c_lady HB User

Thank you for the tip. I have been fighting with head lice for the past month!!! We got rid of it, then a few weeks later, my son got it again from daycare. My hair is really thick, and I have a really hard time getting rid of it. I will try the tea tree oil tonight on me and my son. thank you, Kiesha

Old 11-18-2005, 08:25 PM   #6
    MoMaBeAr
    (female)

MoMaBeAr HB User

Head Lice can be hard to get rid of! We recently went through it for a month! Lice can crawl, and can live away from a head for seven days. Make sure you vacuum real good! I found one on my floor after I thought we had gotten rid of them. I vacuumed (and vacuumed) and washed all the sheets and sprayed my couch and carpets after I saw that one. We haven't had any more problems. Make sure your kids keep their jackets, hats, any clothing inside their backpacks when they aren't using them at school, it really helps.

Old 11-19-2005, 07:17 PM   #7
    worldtraveler
    (female)

worldtraveler HB User

I've (cross my fingers) never had the problem, but my friends whose children are in school have had. One of the best things to do is keep your hair short (even mom) because often the nits can hide in long and thick hair.

Old 11-20-2005, 06:06 PM   #8
    Ralinda30
    (female)

Ralinda30 HB User

MY daughter had came home from school about 6 yrs ago with lice, and I used the lice wash with no luck...my friend told me to use mayo and a shower cap on her and It worked...It killed the lice, but I still picked the nits out of her hair....If it ever comes around again in the house, I will use the mayo and shower cap for sure....Ralinda

Old 11-27-2005, 10:13 AM   #9
    Fabrashamx
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fabrashamx HB User

Hi all! I used to do daycare in my home, and unfortunatly dealt with headlice several times. The tea tree oil is an excellent suggestion, as is buying the better lice comb, the pharmacist can help you find one, the ones included with the kits are not nearly as good. A few pointers, some people rely too heavily on the shampoo and forget they have to get out ALL of the nits (eggs) the tea tree oil will help them come off the hair shaft easier, but you may need to 'nit pick', Get under a bright light and pull the stubborn ones off by hand. some people also overlook buying the spray and using it on the kid's car seats, and the car itself if you have cloth seats. dont forget to wash hair scrunchies and to bag up your stuffed animals. I sprayed the mattresses and turned them over. Be careful to follow all the directions, these products contain very strong chemicals and can be harmful to your child if overused. Lice is a pain to deal with, but it's pretty much a given every family will deal with at least the threat of it if they have school age kids, Like the other poster said, It does not mean that you are dirty or anything. Good luck parents! ~Fabby

Old 11-27-2005, 10:29 AM   #10
    PinkPiglet
    Veteran
    (female)

PinkPiglet HB User

My daughter got head lice about 2 weeks ago. It was (is) nastry. I tried the lice shampoo and it did not work at all! However, someone said to try hair conditioner (just like someone here said to use mayo). Put the conditioner in dry hair (slather it) and then put on a shower cap for 2 hours.

Wash it out and then comb it and look for nits. Works great. I think we may be just about at the end of the lice. Thank heavens. This is a first for us and I never want to do it again.

Old 11-27-2005, 03:17 PM   #11
    Jess75
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

In addition to the ROMBI comb, the TEA TREE oil...I also read that DENOREX EXTRA strength KILLS them INstantly. I'm using all three and I haven't found any so far, but I'm on a lookout cause they could easily come back, but if I read that Denorex about 2x a week will keep them away and I'm using the Tea tree oil on alternative days with the nit comb, and electrical comb. NOT TO MENTION that those blood suckers HATE garlic so I bought garlic pills which are good for you anyway, and I read TOO that someone JUST TOOK garlic and got totally rid of those suckers!!!

Closed Thread