It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board

• Parenting a Child Who Has Bipolar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-28-2007, 09:47 AM   #136
    bpmom07
    (female)

bpmom07 HB User
    Re: Parenting a Child Who Has Bipolar

There has been a change in plans after talking with the hospital social worker and Amanda's tdoc. I am going to let Amanda come home after her time at the hospital so she can spend Christmas at home and so I can judge her stability then, and if at that time I feel she still needs more help, then we will send her on to the residential facility.

Today they are doing testing on her and tomorrow they will have a treatment meeting to decide her course of treatment and then they will call me with the results tomorrow afternoon. I asked them to assess and treat her ADHD as well and explained how her pdoc didn't want to treat for both and how I felt about it and how it would be best to do it while under their care instead of trying to do it at home when she can't be monitored as easily.

So everyone keep their fingers crossed that they will find the correct med combo and I will get my little girl back in 7-10 days!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2007, 10:13 AM   #137
    bpmom07
    (female)

bpmom07 HB User

Lor, I'm sorry I forgot to answer your question. The hospital is 2 1/2 hours away from here. I really want to go down and see her this weekend, but the weather isn't looking too good. They are calling for freezing rain on Saturday and snow on Sunday. Since they only have visiting hours on the weekends, it looks like I won't be able to see her again before she comes home .

Old 11-28-2007, 11:18 AM   #138
    Ivorygirl
    (female)

Ivorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB User

Thanks for the update, Chelle. I think that even though you may not get to see Amanda over the weekend it might be better....the time my daughter was away they made sure that we didn't visit her so they could get a good eye of the situation without any interference. They did allow one phone call daily, we started out in the evening and she got too upset before going to bed and so we checked in with her each afternoon instead.

I want to stress with you a few things just from experience. Sometimes us moms can enable things to go on just by trying to protect our kids from anything that may frighten them or cause them any distress. However, by doing that we may be inhibiting the necessary growth or change that is necessary for things to improve.

I KNOW more than you will ever know how difficult it is having Amanda not at home. I was there!!

You need to make it quite clear to Amanda that you want her to get well and that she is not going to be away from you one minute longer than she has to but until you, her pdoc, her tdoc and even herself are convinced that she is truly ready to come home she won't!!! Even if it entails her having to be away for Christmas, it will be one Christmas compared to all the Christmases in the future!!!

The important thing is to get her stabilized....otherwise you will be putting a bandaid on the situation that will not allow for the proper healing to occur and you will keep on having to bandage it up and it will get infected and worse.....you must take care of this properly and sometimes it involves doing things that are not what we would like to do.

Make sure that this doesn't become what you want and need or what you think will spare Amanda any discomfort. My daughter cried on the phone but during the day it was reported that she was doing fine. So if Amanda does that (which I am sure that she will) you tell her to hang tough, that you love her and that you will all know when the right time to bring her home is. And reassure her that this is not a punishment, that it is difficult to not have her home with you but that it is all worth it if it will make her better.

I hope that you realize that this is your opportunity to aggressively get things in order. Use it and hang tough and do everything you possibly can to make sure that when Amanda comes home that she is truly ready to.

Sending you lots of supportive hugs and prayers ~ IG

Old 11-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #139
    bpmom07
    (female)

bpmom07 HB User

OH IG, the residential center is not off the table completely. I just want a chance to gauge whether she needs it after leaving the hospital. If she needs it, she will go, but I don't want to send her there unless I know she does need it, kwim? That is why I am praying that the hospital will find the magic bullet while she is there and she comes home stable and will be able to stay. But, if they don't then I won't hesitate to send her on. Her tdoc said that every child she has ever sent to this hospital has came home a new person and hasn't had to send any of them on for more treatment.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #140
    mamiacp
    (female)

mamiacp HB User

Chelle,

I thought that I would re-mention about looking into a local support group. Is it possible there could be a chapter in your area that you can go to during this time? I am sure the talking with others would be really helpful and there would be some people there that can help you get through this time.

You are in my thoughts.

Cristina

Last edited by mamiacp; 11-28-2007 at 06:47 PM. Reason: needed revision

Old 11-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #141
    Lor60
    (female)

Lor60 HB User

Hi Chelle,

I just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you and Amanda tonight. I know she will get the help she needs and one day you will have your daughter back.

Lor

Old 11-28-2007, 09:58 PM   #142
    teresa2007
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teresa2007 HB User

Hey marlo,
    I did have a pretty good thanksgiving but i think im getting the blues im feeling really lonely alot right now but im trying to stay positive for the kids, its really hard especially with christmas around the corner.
    What happen to Goody and Tsohl? does anyone know?
    Thank you marlo for those hugs, i appreciate you remembering that im one of those kind of people that needs lots of hugs.
    Hope you and your family had a wondeful thanksgiving! Love Tee Hugs

Old 11-29-2007, 07:44 AM   #143
    mznell
    Inactive
    (female)

mznell HB User

Hi Tee,

Oh my goodness, you were up late writing your last post! I hope you had a good Thanksgiving. Just remember that all the hubbub of Christmas is mostly reserved for the kids. Try to keep it light and happy for your little ones. I know your church is important to you, so try to keep the focus for yourself on the TRUE meaning of Christmas. Any person with depressive issues really feels the stress around holidays. I know it doesn't help to know there are others out there feeling as bad as you do...you might want to use your computer and read more about the depression alliance where you will see other women like yourself going through similar things. It is important that you do not let yourself feel isolated and alone. There are many who care about you, even though they might not be able to tell you so directly.

Are you able to get your meds still? I think there was a doctor friend of your hubbie's that was helping a bit with that. What ever happened with Moundbuilders? I think you mentioned they were in danger of closing for financial reasons. Your town definitely needs more mental health resources and trained doctors and nurses.

Well this is long enough for now. I'm glad to be your new friend and will be here to help in any way I can. Try to hang in there and remember there are people who love you and care about you. You are not alone.

sending you lots and lots of Thursday (((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))) ))

Closed Thread