It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board

• Parenting a Child Who Has Bipolar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-29-2007, 08:20 AM   #16
    jahdac821
    (female)

jahdac821 HB User
    Re: Parenting a Child Who Has Bipolar

Hi my brother who is 23 was diagnosed when he was 20 as being Bipolar with moderate Schizphrenia. It's taken a lot of time to adjust to HIM and how HE is on an everyday basis. My mother is a single mom and we both still live with her. He's now on many medications for those illnesses as well as the insomnia he experiences from them, the mood swings, and he visits his Psychiatrist twice a month for counseling.
    It's very very difficult living with someone who suffers from this. We've had to learn to adjust ourselves to meet his needs and to let him be the first to speak to us (so we can understand which phase he's in) and walk on eggshells a lot of the time.
    Let me know if you need some medication advice, or any on this topic. I've researched it thoroughly and am in nursing school.
    Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2007, 08:42 AM   #17
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Jahdac ~ Thanks for chiming in....yes that walking on eggshells feeling is very commonly experienced when we have a loved one with BP. From my understanding, schizoaffective disorder is a bit more involved and more difficult to stabilize as your family is experiencing with your brother.

What meds is he on at present??? The sleep is a MUST in order to keep things going well.

I have a friend who runs NAMI who's son is your brother's age and is schizoaffective....I am going to inquire what she has found to work out best with him. I know that he is in his third year of college and just received a wonderful scholarship for excelling in his studies. And when the newspaper interviewed him and he accepted his scholarship award he openly shared his mental illness and challenges in getting to where he was hoping by doing so that he could remove the stigmatization that occurs when people hear about anybody having Bipolar or other mental illnesses.

Thanks for offering your insight...we look forward to hearing more from you.

~ Goody

Old 10-29-2007, 12:53 PM   #18
    langlee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

langlee HB User

Absolutely, Eyes! I'd love to know what you told your adult "child". Thanks for finding us here!

And Jahdac - welcome! Any and all insight is always appreciated!

Hope

Old 10-29-2007, 01:17 PM   #19
    tsohl
    Inactive
    (female)

tsohl HB User

Hi Everyone,

a family reunion

I'd be interested in hearing what you told your son, too, EYES.

My son is going to be able to stay with his pdoc. He has gone into some sort of hospital setting, but he is going to see s few patients on Saturdays...so I am pleased about that.

EYES, in case you missed it, son is getting married on June 7th...so that's our exciting news!! And then (god willing) he'll be going off to grad school -- so he'll be going through quite a few changes, too!! I'm on the alert already.

Blessings,

xx Tsohl

Old 10-29-2007, 02:57 PM   #20
    neiceydixon38
    (female)

neiceydixon38 HB User

Hi I am new to this, my 14 year old daughter has been diag with bp and I am just starting the whole medication journey. Hope you can help me to understand my role as a parent and what I need to do to be active in her mental health wellness.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:42 PM   #21
    tsohl
    Inactive
    (female)

tsohl HB User

Hello neiceydixon,

Welcome to the board. Sorry about the reason you are here looking for information, but you will be able to have many of your questions answered. A number of moms have children who are near your daughter's age. I don't happen to be one of them, as my son is 25, but many issues are the same, and I've already been down this path!

Why don't you tell us a little bit more about your daughter...like when/how she was diagnosed, what meds she's on, etc. Do you have a family history of depression or bipolar disorder??

So glad you found us. Please feel free to post with your comments and questions. You will quickly make friends here.

xx Tsohl

Old 10-29-2007, 04:04 PM   #22
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Hey, Tsohl and EYES!!! Count me in on any insight a dad can still give his adult child...BP or not it will be well worth hearing!!!

Tsohl....that's wonderful news about your son being able to see the same pdoc...one more worry to cross off of mom's list...right????

Well...today Erin came home and retreated to her room. She mentioned a little tiff she had with "Al" on the way home on the bus. Then she talked it out on the phone with him and then went down for a nap and is still sleeping. Yup....the change in season is definitely affecting her but not too badly but some thing to definitely consider mentioning to the pdoc when we go see him next week.

Kait and I have spoken and she still is on the Wellbutrin....she doesn't really want to talk about much to do with the meds with me so I am backing off for a while but did tell her that we need to schedule a followup conference call with the pdoc at Dr. Amen....she has a tight schedule with this internship until mid-November so we will try to set something after that. It is so difficult when they are adults.....I just hope that Kait finds the way to help herself with the jumpstart we gave her and knowing that she is now equipped to get the help that she needs and that we are 100% behind her.

I guess that's our update for now.

(((HUGS))) to all ~ Goody

Old 10-29-2007, 04:26 PM   #23
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Oooops.... sorry Neiceydixon....I missed your post just as I was posting mine.

Anyway...a big welcome to you.

I have a 16 year old daughter who started her journey with BP just around your daughter's age. Started out with some impulsive behavior such as self injury and taking a bottle of aleve after having a fight with a friend. Then it turned into irritability, agitation and argumentiveness. A hospitalization and treatment with an antidepressant only made things worse. Ends up that she was triggered into a mania and finally diagnosed with BP.

The meds took a while to find...as I said we started with Celexa then to Zoloft....when she became manic and was diagnosed we went to Risperdal and then added Trileptal as a mood stabilizer. She developed adverse reactions to those and went on Lamictal and then Seroquel was added. This all happened over a period of 5 months and then after another 5 of adjustments we finally got ourselves to stability. She has been stable now since March and we are having a little breakthrough depression, not bad, but something that may warrant an adjustment in her Lamictal.

Anyway....the best advice I can give you is to learn as much as you can about Early onset BP. Teens present with totally different symptoms than adults do and sometimes what may appear as behavior problems are actually signs of hypomania. The more you learn about the disorder and the meds as well as keep a diary of your daughter's responses to them the faster you will be able to work with the pdoc in finding the right ones for your daughter.

What would you say is your daughter's level of functioning at this point in time??? Is she doing alright at school and what support or accomodations does she have in place at school??? My daughter luckily didn't end up needing any because the school has been able to accommodate her pretty well.

Most importantly, know that there are others here who are more than willing to help you through the tough moments...for a while there it will be a rollercoaster ride but eventually you will begin to see that there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.

Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. There are plenty of us around who will be more than happy to help you out.

((((HUGS))))) ~ Goody

Old 10-29-2007, 04:35 PM   #24
    bpmom07
    (female)

bpmom07 HB User

neiceydixon38, Welcome! I have a 13 year old daughter diagnosed with BP last October and due to a not so good pdoc, she is still not stable. Even though it has been a year, I still feel like a newbie to this, but will help as much as I can.

Tsohl, Welcome back! I missed you! Happy to hear you can keep the same pdoc.

jahdac821, Welcome to you as well! It will be great to hear and learn from your experience. Like others have said, we all know all to well what it is like to tip toe around our kids.

Goody, sorry to hear Erin isn't doing to well right now. I hope the pdoc can help her through this.

Eyes, yes, please tell!

Not much to update here. Things are the same. Babysitting went well, but now I smell like baby, LOL. Hope everyone has a great evening!

Old 10-29-2007, 09:09 PM   #25
    Lor60
    (female)

Lor60 HB User

Welcome Neicey,

I have a 14 year old son who has had problems for about two years. We have had several dx and tried many medication combinations. Things are better but we still have a little way to go. The other moms on this board have been my lifeline. It's so comforting to find people who "get it" and who are a little further ahead on the road to stability. I hope you can come here for answers and support.

I think it must be the season. It sounds like everyone is seeing some changes right now. Tonight was a little rough for us. Drew was either inappropriate and silly or irritable and edgy all evening. We managed to get some of his homework done but I will have to try to get him up early to finish. He is leaving on Wed. to go on a trip with my husband and is excited about this so maybe that was part of it.

I spoke to our pdoc tonight about the school issues. He initially talked to me
    again about increasing the wellbutrin but when I told him Drew was starting to get "reved" up again at night and we were having a hard time getting him to bed he thought we should hold off for a little bit and see what happens.
    So I am keeping my fingers crossed that this was a one night thing. It's always something.

Welcome back Tsohl. I'm glad your back. EYES, I appreciate all your insight and am glad you found us again.

Lor

Last edited by Lor60; 10-29-2007 at 09:10 PM.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:13 AM   #26
    twoeyez
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

Hello all Friends...and new Friends too....

Well here is what I told my "Adult"child about "Changes I had to make in my life almost 25 years ago,when I was in need of begining stability with BP.

- Change my concept of "Pride". I had to much feeling of Honor. To "puffed" up.

- Change speech patterns. Tone of voice. A sound of "Dominance". Meaness. Rudeness. Learn to speak softly.

- Change my point of view. An "Air" of always beeing "Right".
    Would always counter other's point of view. Made them feel worthless/useless. Needed to let go of having to win an argument.

-Difficult to admit a mistakes.

-Using a "Sarcastic" type of Humor.

-Change listening habits..be a better listener.

-Change conversation habits. Would always interupt or "talk over" what others were saying.

-Change on how to "Respect" other's feelings and thoughts. Even when I diagreed.

- Change the way I "think',so that my "Life" may change.

-Change or suspend my "Pomposity" and "Ridigity for other's to reccognize my "Flexibility" and be able to find trust in me.

-Needed to let go of "Striving". To Change how I see what's here "Now". Or to Change how I look at always "Striving". And then to develope "Contentment" without anxiety and fear.

- Change how I would act and react with others. Be in charge of my emotions ( don't fly off the handle).

- Change to be "Responsible for all my "Actions".

- Change and/or control "Ego",inwardly,for more Self Esteam,Self Control,and Self Confidence.

I give full credit to Mrs Eyes for helping me acheive these "changes" (of which I am still working on) in my life. I pray that my "adult son" was a "good listener". If he heard - "Change your Thoughts,you can Change your Life" - he will be on his way to regaining his stabiity.

Carry On,

Last edited by twoeyez; 10-30-2007 at 08:16 AM.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:36 AM   #27
    tsohl
    Inactive
    (female)

tsohl HB User

Thanks, wise 'ole EYES. These are words we can all learn from...but I am going to pass them on to my son as he enters a new phase in his life.

Hope you are well, and that those knees are healing nicely!!

xx Tsohl

Old 10-30-2007, 08:48 AM   #28
    bpmom07
    (female)

bpmom07 HB User

Eyes, thanks for sharing that! If you don't mind, I would like to save that for my daughter.

We may be looking at having Amanda hospitalized again. Her tdoc saw her at school today and said that her thinking is very disorganized and her speech was very jumbled up and out of sequence. She also said Amanda was very spacey today and she couldn't answer any of her questions and could only think about making sure I found out that she forgot her glasses and her teachers say she needs her glasses. This on top of her "imaginary friends", which her tdoc thinks is a delusion makes us think she has been manic too long and may need to be in the hospital again. She wants us to keep a close eye on her the rest of the week and if she isn't any better then we will talk hospital.

Last night she threatened to run away because I wanted her to go to bed before Dancing with the Stars was over. She seemed to rethink that when I told her that if she did I would have to call the police and she didn't want to have to deal with that so thought it best to stay home. She fell asleep a little after 9pm, but woke back up at 10:45pm saying she had a nightmare and couldn't go back to sleep. I was already in bed, but not asleep yet thank goodness or she would have stayed up all night. I heard her moving around at 11pm and found her with all the lights on and watching TV while eating a snack cake that I had told her earlier that she couldn't have because it was her brother's. I tried to explain again how important sleep is for her right now and remind her how bad of a day she has when she stays up all night, but she was still bound an determined to fight me on going back to bed. She has had a bad cough lately and her regular doc prescribed some cough medicine that makes her sleepy as well, so she took some of that and layed back down in bed and read for an hour and finally fell back to sleep around midnight.

This morning, it was almost impossible to get her moving. She laid in bed for 20 minutes screaming that she wasn't going to school and I couldn't make her, then finally got up and started screaming at her brother for talking and changed her clothes 100 times because nothing looked right, finally deciding to go with pants that are 3 sizes too big and a shirt that is too small. By then I was too tired to fight her anymore and she was in danger of missing the bus so I had to let her go to school like that. The saddest part for me is she thought she looked really good and I know the other kids are going to make fun of her, especially if the kids today are just as mean as they were when I was her age.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #29
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Chelle ~ You are right...your daughter is really showing signs of unstability....I remember when Erin was at her worst she would threaten to run away. And she did at least 3 times. Nothing she did ever made sense...she too would dress inappropriately and not care wearing this heavy eyeliner, black nailpolish, and looking quite Goth. And her hair was not really brushed and just pulled into a ponytail all messy. She also did anything she pleased and whatever she needed at the moment despite any given consequences as Amanda seems to be demonstrating. Very unstable and at her worst.

It's a complete difference to look at her now when she is stable with her french manicure and blown out hair that takes her hours to get looking right!! Barely any makeup...just a touch of mascara and some concealer beneath her eyes to hide the darkcircles that sometimes are there. The smell of hair spray and mousse all over the house....it's a pleasure to wake up to that and see the difference in her. And I know that Amanda will get there too and sometimes it takes a hospitalization to get things started and on their way.

So....hang in there and allow the tdoc and pdoc to determine whether Amanda will require a hospitalization. YOu have said that things have not been good for a while and this may be just what she needs. Something needs to be done for her and it is good that the tdoc sees that and is willing to push for whatever is going to help Amanda out.

(((((HUGS)))))) to you and Amanda. Please keep us posted and know that you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Love ~ Goody

PS ~ EYES....thanks once again for the wise words. I am sure that your son is going to benefit greatly from them as will many others here. Take care of those knees and make sure that you keep up with the PT!!

Last edited by goody2shuz; 10-30-2007 at 09:42 AM.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:41 AM   #30
    bpmom07
    (female)

bpmom07 HB User

Thanks for your post Goody! Yes, her tdoc is a god send. She is the one that got Amanda admitted the last time as well. She said today that we don't want to wait until she gets as bad as she did last time when she was punching the walls and hitting her head on the wall. She was hospitalized the first time only 2 months ago :O .

Closed Thread