It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board

• Parenting a Child Who Has Bipolar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-01-2007, 09:20 PM   #46
    mamiacp
    (female)

mamiacp HB User
    Re: Parenting a Child Who Has Bipolar

Goody-I do think there is something to Amanda stressing out during this time of year. The first 6 weeks of school is over and I think it is that the school year is just going full force by now.It is just starting to cool down here and she prefers the warm to the cold season. She always seems to be cold. So the seasonal effects are a definite possibility. We move the clocks back this weekend so I am going to pay special attention to her moods. Also I wanted to agree regarding Amanda's attention to how she dressed before she was stable. Last year she never gave attention to her personal appearance, even neglecting to brush her hair, bathe or even brush her teeth regularly. I think this was her depressive side surfacing. I remember when my father was very low how he also lost interest in his personal grooming. Also, she would put clothes together that were very inappropriate and just plain odd. Now she calls herself "a prep" (I think that still means preppy). How things change.

Last night she wanted to stay home and pass out the candy, but she wanted to dress up first. She decided she wanted to look like Carrie Underwood (I had a very blond long wig she used when she was Cinderella several years ago) So she put on her jeans, cowboy boots, her hat, a too small tshirt and the wig and makeup. Well I thought her costume was pretty clever especially that she came up with it herself. When we ran out of candy at 7:45, we decided to go out and look for her daddy, sister and brother who were out trick or treating. But I told her she would have to change because the costume was a going to get alot of unwelcomed attention. I thought she would protest but she just said "Mom, you are so overprotective" and went to change, came outside and off we went. Whew! I know you all understand how significant that was because one year ago we would have had a raging episode lasting for hours.

I don't know if I mentioned the doctor added a small dose of Prozac to the Abilify, Trileptal and Metadate. So far so good. She has another appointment this week with her pdoc (she went on Tuesday) and her daddy is taking her. Next week we also are having a 504 review.

Well need to get some sleep. Tomorrow I am going with 20 first graders to the zoo on a field trip. Then we leave to camp for the weekend.

Sending well wishes to everyone and especially for your kids.

Cristina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2007, 06:30 AM   #47
    bpmom07
    (female)

bpmom07 HB User

I'm still sick and my brain is all foggy so please forgive me for not remembering what everyone has writen and responding to you.

Amanda woke up twice last night with night terrors, not remembering either of them. The first time was around 9:30pm. She started screaming bloody murder while calling out my name. When I went to her and told her it was just a dream, that woke her up and she was all confused about what was going on. She got a drink of water and went right back to sleep. 2 hours later she was yelling and screaming in her sleep again, but this time it sounded more like she does when she's raging and woke herself up, but when I said something to her she didn't know what I was talking about. After that she wanted to stay up saying she was too scared to sleep, but I talked her into trying by thinking happy thoughts and she went back to sleep after about 15 minutes. I didn't hear anything else from her the rest of the night. She was already awake when I got up and said she had been up for about 45 minutes. She was in a good mood, but yelled at Brandon a couple of times. I have a feeling that she is going to be way manic when she gets home today.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #48
    Lor60
    (female)

Lor60 HB User

Hi Chelle, I hope you are feeling better by tonight. Please don't forget to take care of yourself. I think as moms we put ourselves last. Amanda needs you and it is hard to have the patience we need if we don't feel well. Any news about hositalization?

Cristina, I hope you have a relaxing camping weekend. We used to do a lot of camping when our older kids were young. Last year we started taking our younger kids. We live less that a mile from a state park. Now when we camp, I stay til about 10, then go home to walk the dog, shower and sleep in my bed. I show up first thing in the morning with the coffee.

Paige, Thank you for stopping by. I really enjoy your teenage insight into the things we are dealing with. My son is not very talkative especially about his disorder so it is helpful to get your input. I hope things are going well for you and you are able to pace yourself and get caught up on some of the work you missed.

Hope, How did the meeting go? I met with the school nurse today and we have a meeting with the CARE team in two weeks. I am continuing to enjoy the peace and quiet around here with my husband and Drew gone.

Lor

Old 11-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #49
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mamiacp View Post
    Goody-I do think there is something to Amanda stressing out during this time of year. It is just starting to cool down here and she prefers the warm to the cold season. She always seems to be cold. So the seasonal effects are a definite possibility. We move the clocks back this weekend so I am going to pay special attention to her moods.
    It is amazing Cristina, that Erin also complains all the time how cold she is. In fact today I was discussing how during Christmas break that we join her cousins upstate for some skiing and snow tubing. She use to love to ski in her pre-BP days but she said that she hates the cold and needs to go someplace warm!! So that is something that I am noticing around here too!!

It is also cute how you stayed home handing out candy together and how Amanda wanted to dress up ike Carried Underwood....Erin loves the American Idol singers who have made it big!!

Chelle ~ Sorry that you had a rough time last night with Amanda....I am sure that you were making up for it today catching up or at least I am hoping that you did. I hope that things are better for you all tonight.

Lor ~ Glad to hear that you are enjoying the quiet moments....gives you a chance to recharge yourself. Hopefully hubby and Drew are having a good time camping.

Paige....I too soo enjoy your posts. Thanks for popping in and I am hoping that today was a better day for you at school. I will check in on your thread on the BP board.

Well, just wanted to pop in and say a quick hello before settling down for the night.

Love to all ~ Goody

Old 11-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #50
    bpmom07
    (female)

bpmom07 HB User

Hi Lor. I bit the bullet today and went into the doctor. Turns out they will bill me later and I can make payments so I didn't need to wait after all. He confirmed I do have strep throat and wrote a script for Amoxicillin. I went to Walmart and it was on their list for $4 so that helped a lot.

Amanda has been better since Tuesday so her tdoc said to just continue to watch her and if she gets really bad this weekend to take her to the ER and to tell her pdoc everything that has been happening when I call him tomorrow and she what he has to say. She said to stress to him how manic she is and that she has been like this for months and is steadily going downhill. I'm thinking that she may not meet criteria for hospitalization right now since she isn't a danger to herself or others. Hopefully her pdoc will recommend something tomorrow.

I am getting a break from her tonight. She is staying the night with the neighbor who lives across the hall so she's close, but not under my roof. It's been nice having it just Brandon and myself tonight and no stress other then dealing with normal 4 year old stuff.........aaaaahhhhhh it's very quiet now. I think I'll go to sleep. Night all

Old 11-02-2007, 08:32 PM   #51
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Chelle ~ Glad that you posted with an update....it's good thing you went in to see the doctor and were able to get yourself on an antibiotic and even better that you have Amanda staying across the way so that you can make up on that lost sleep from last night. Try to take it easy this weekend and ask the kids to take care of mommy for a change!!!

Hope you feel better soon.....sending extra ((((HUGS)))) your way ~ Goody

Old 11-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #52
    bpmom07
    (female)

bpmom07 HB User

MY kids take care of mommy for a change? Thanks for the laugh Goody . Last night was wonderful! I slept all night long and Brandon let me sleep in until 9am .

I just got off the phone with Amanda's pdoc and he said that he doubts that she needs to be in the hospital right now. He said to stop her morning dose of Seroquel and increase her evening dose to 150mg. He also made them squeeze her in for next weekend, so we have an appointment next Saturday at 10am.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:11 AM   #53
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

I know, Chelle But it was worth a try!!!

Glad you got a good night's sleep. I hope that the switch in Seroquel will make things better. How did the sleepover go for Amanda??? Is she back home yet???

I hope that the Amoxicillin kicks in soon so that you are back to feeling better.

I am trying to think of things to do today....we have Hurricane Noel hitting with high winds and rain and it is chilly too!!! A good game or movie day is what I think. Erin woke up, had breakfast and is back to bed.

It is a dreary day here and I read a magazine, worked on a jigsaw puzzle and I think I will do some Christmas shopping on line since it is so quiet here.

Hopefully you can squeeze in an afternood nap to catch up some more.

((((HUGS)))) ~ Goody

Old 11-03-2007, 09:46 AM   #54
    bpmom07
    (female)

bpmom07 HB User

There is a Hurricane in NY? I don't think I've ever heard of that before . When one hits the southern parts we can sometimes too get stuff from it. You're welcome to come here. It's supposed to be around 60 today and the sun is shining. On rainy days we usually watch movies or read or do crafts. Brandon loves it when we pull out the playdoh and sit down and play with him, LOL.

I guess the sleepover went well. She's ran in and out a couple of times today to bring her meds home and get something to eat and has gone right back over there. She said she'll come home to stay and clean her room once they leave this afternoon. I'm sure she'll come home, but I really doubt she'll clean her room. If I can talk Brandon into taking a nap today then I will take one with him. Hey I know, if I offer to let him nap on my bed he may take me up on it.

Old 11-04-2007, 03:38 AM   #55
    twoeyez
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

[QUOTE=goody2shuz;3286692]
    First things first, thank you, EYES for your continued support. You really help give us a great perspective on things in a very simplistic but meaningful way. I so enjoy your posts....they are so wise and valuable to knowing what will keep things stable for our kids as well as some milestones that they will need to master along the way and ways to help them through.
    QUOTE]

Goody,thanks for your confidence in my words.

I resently had that conversation with my adult son,who is now struggling with a depression. He asked me to share with him the "changes" I had to make in my life in order to continue with stability. He asked that I not give him any "advice" on how to make "changes" for stability. So that is what I did. (See the list of changes I gave him in my last couple of posts).

After I read him those "changes", he thanked me for not giving him a "lecture" of fatherly "advice" on how to control or deal with his BP. He said by listerng to my "changes", he could see that his life is very much like mine.

He stated that some times parents always need to continue to "guide" their children with "advice". And that there comes a time in their lives that "advice" is no longer needed. He said that just knowing a "parent" is "human" too, and that they are willing to express what they had to "change" in their life;is sometimes all that is needed for the "child" to grow with "change".

My son, as you all may know,is an ordained Lutheran pastor. He said that "the "child" may never leave our "soul". but that it yearn to become the "adult";as soon as it can. And that all parents need to "let them go" to make that happen.

Carry On,

Old 11-04-2007, 06:56 AM   #56
    Lor60
    (female)

Lor60 HB User

Hi EYES, Thank you for your post. I always look forward to your posts because they make me think. Are you sure you were never a teacher? I continue to struggle with when I should give "advice" and when I should back off and let my son find his own way. Having just turned 14, he seldom asks for my advice, although if the timing is right he will listen.

HAPPY 17th BIRTHDAY TO ZAC! I hope he is able to enjoy the day and that it is the start of a great year for your family.

Chelle, I'm glad the pdoc is going to be seeing Amanda more often. I think this is just such a hard time of year for our kids especially when they are not stable.

Hopefully everyone else is having a quiet and relaxing weekend. I will be spending the day with my daughters and then it is off to the airport to pick up Drew.

Lor

Old 11-04-2007, 05:50 PM   #57
    mamiacp
    (female)

mamiacp HB User

Chelle-I am so glad to hear that you will be seeing the doctor again Saturday and that he raised her precription of Seroquel. Our Amanda had such good results on Seroquel and it made a huge difference within a week. She was on 200mg for a year and has since stopped and is taking Abilify. You sound like you have a really good doctor who listens to your concerns. That is so so important.

Amanda had two appointments this week and she came home feeling well and was pleasant. The irritability has subsided and she is not snarling at everyone for piddly things. One of her struggles is receptive language. For example she does not take a joke well as she usually feels insulted or reponds with sarcasm. It is so frustrating as I can say something off the wall to our other two, but can't with her. Her doctor told her this can be part of being bipolar. So this is something that I brought up this week. She was more at ease this weekend and responed more appropriately to all that was going on. We really had a great time.

We will be meeting to discuss the 504 plan that is in place and make some changes if necessary. It is really hard to get all the high school teachers together at one time for a meeting, so I hope the majority to show and that the others will send their observations. That is what they are suppose to do. This is the first one at the new school. I have found the tone and course of the meeting depends on the principal present and the couselor. I am expecting both to attend and so far have been impressed with them.

Lor- Yes I was up with the coffee first thing in the morning and my husband and I went walking without the kids. I really had to talk him into the whole camping idea and that it would be a great way to connect be with the kids and have get away time together. It really is a test in patience and cooperation for everyone and I actually think it has been great for Amanda as it is something she loves to do.

Goody-When we went this weekend the temperature was in the 50's both mornings and she complained and begged to turn on the furnace as she said she could not sleep. I reminded her that I had told the children to pack warm pajamas and she had a babydoll style which did not keep her warm. She did not shoot back a sarcastic remark but said "teenagers need their sleep". She takes any thing that the doctor says so literally. Her doctor has been insistant that she get 9 hours of sleep a night which means being in bed by 9:30. We moved the clock back today so I am hoping that does not become an issue in her sleep patterns. It is getting dark by 6:00 here. Actually tomorrow we will be attending a funeral and I will be watching how she handles this. It is not someone she knew well or was close to, but we went to one about 10 months ago for an elderly man and she was sobbing remembering her grandfather. I have already had a talk with her and she wants to go to be with her cousin who's grandfather is the one who passed.

Well, I have more laundry to do since coming home and the kids are hungry. I wonder if they will eat more hotdogs???

Cristina

Old 11-04-2007, 05:57 PM   #58
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

EYES ~ Thanks again for an insightful post. I am beginning to see how our parenting skills as we bridge our kids to adulthood takes on more of a "Let Go and Let God" type of parenting....afterall, they are on loan to us by HIM for a short time and basically all that we have done in terms of parenting has either been ingrained by now or isn't going to be at all. So....what you say makes complete sense....thanks for reminding us. Your son is lucky to have a father who can share his own life experiences knowing that some of it will help guide him through the rough spots.

Hope ~ I am hoping that Zac has a wonderful 17th year and that this year will mark his journey to stability before he goes off to college!!! I know that is what we are all hoping for!! Please let us know how you all celebrated and how the weekend went.

Chelle ~ hope that you are back to feeling better and that Amanda is responding to the extra Seroquel by now. It is good to know that she will be seeing the pdoc in less than a week. Erin sees the pdoc on Thursday and the only change I see may be a little adjustment in her Lamictal to help keep the depression down. She is sleeping a little bit more than usual but otherwise seems to be doing okay so I will let Erin and the pdoc decide what to do. They usually come up with what I innately think would work out best....this time it will be a surprise....I still think that she has room to go up with the Lamictal especially since she is on the BCP which is known to lower the overall effect of Lamictal requiring girls on the pill to require higher doses than others.

Lor ~ So how did the guys weekend go??? And did you have a good time with your daughters today??? I hope that you had a good time relaxing....I am sure that you are ready to take on anything right around now but let's just hope that Drew comes home doing well and has a good week in store for everybody. Let us know how things went.

Hoping that everybody else is doing well...Jules and Tsohl, you have been quiet and I hope that all is okay in your corners of the world.

((((HUGS)))) to all ~ Goody

Oh Cristina, sorry I didn't mean to leave you out here, just trying to keep up with everyone....welcome back...glad that you had a pretty good weekend as far as the weather is concerned. Erin does the same thing with clothes....she wears short sleeves in the fall/winter and then complains of being cold!! And she doesn't take sarcasm or kidding around too well either so it must be a BP thing.

I hope that you can unwind and take it easy talking the kids into having those hotdogs!! Good luck and hope that the laundry and unpacking goes well!! Love ~ Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 11-04-2007 at 06:04 PM.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:30 AM   #59
    twoeyez
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lor60 View Post
    Hi EYES, Thank you for your post. I always look forward to your posts because they make me think. Are you sure you were never a teacher? I continue to struggle with when I should give "advice" and when I should back off and let my son find his own way. Having just turned 14, he seldom asks for my advice, although if the timing is right he will listen.
    Lor
    Lor and Goody,Hope,Tsohl....Chelle and Cristina....too

First of all ...a big happy BD (17th) to Zac.

You all are very careing Moms and I think that Dads have a "diferent" type of "careing" imbeded within them when it comes to dealing with their BD childern. Somewhere it has been said "that children are joined to there Mom's hip" through out life. No wonder it is so hard to let them go . And even more so if the child is dealing with BP. So.....dear Moms....know that you all have a "right" to be concerned and "careing" for your childen. They were "within you" before birth and they have that "secret" need for security.
    But,as Goody has said so many times,"Let go.and let God". He will guide you Moms with the knowledge of "seting them free".

And Lor....Knowing when to change "advice" to a "suggestion" is something most young teens will always respect you for. Drew will hear a "suggestion",because he can give a "suggession" back to you.

I am not a teacher,however,I gave a lot of "insight" and "sight" to many people,because of my profession.

Carry On,

Old 11-05-2007, 10:58 AM   #60
    tsohl
    Inactive
    (female)

tsohl HB User

Hi Everyone --

Tee, I hope you see this post!! This is where I can communicate with you. I will be thinking about all my friends over on the bipolar board, but this is where I can post. So you'll have to come looking for me!

Hope you are doing well. I'm sending you a bunch of ((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))) .

Any luck with your daughter finding childcare for her baby??

I hope to hear from you soon over on this board!!

love ya,

Tsohl

Closed Thread