It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board

• Parenting a Child Who Has Bipolar

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #61
    langlee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

langlee HB User
    Re: Parenting a Child Who Has Bipolar

Thanks for all of the good wishes for Zac's birthday! He had a good weekend with both family and friends and is particularly happy that this is a short school week!

Paige, thanks for popping up over here and sharing your thoughts. You and Zac seem to share alot of the same sleep/concentration issues and I hope that both of you are able to conquer those challenges soon. We are trying the sleep meds and if that doesn't work, I am trying a Sleep Disorder Clinic. I see that one of our local hospitals is advertising their SDC and we are determined to get to the bottom of his sleep issues!

I'm still trying to catch up on everyone's posts but for now, love to all of you.

Hope

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2007, 09:49 AM   #62
    Paige1989
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Paige1989 HB User

The sleep disorder clinic looks like it'd be a lot of help if the sleep meds don't work...my pdoc is suggesting Rozerum because it's not addictive and isn't like the rest of the meds - it regulates your body clock instead of just knocking you out...and if he's having trouble with school, search bipolar world and there's a site that has a lot of tips...it's geared towards college students, but it can apply to others, especially with IEP and 504 Plan updates...just an idea.

~~Paige
    1mg. Klonopin
    0.5-1mg. Ativan
    I'm not crazy ~ I'm mentally interesting!

Last edited by Paige1989; 11-06-2007 at 09:50 AM.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:54 AM   #63
    langlee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

langlee HB User

Thanks, Paige. Good luck with the Rozerem and I'll keep you posted about the Sleep Disorder Clinic.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:12 AM   #64
    bpmom07
    (female)

bpmom07 HB User

Good afternoon everyone! Here is a update....

Amanda had some testing this morning and the lady who did the test said that they see a lot of ADHD in her and if she was younger she would give Amanda that diagnosis, but since Amanda is more Bipolar and they don't like to do a duel diagnosis, they are dropping the ADHD diagnosis and just going with Bipolar. She said that this is probably where Amanda did have ADHD to start off with, but is changing over to just Bipolar and soon there will not be any ADHD left. She also said she saw some Borderline Personality Disorder as well, but not enough to diagnose. She said that now that we have a better picture of Amanda her psych should feel more comfortable in treating her so he can find the right med combo to get her back on track and on the road to stability.

We went over how Amanda was acting the other day in school and decided it wasn't dulling, it was just that her thoughts were racing and she was trying to get it all out at once so that is what was making her jump around like that. Her case worker was there and Amanda was doing what she saw last week and I explained what was going on and she said that made more sense, LOL.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:18 AM   #65
    langlee
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

langlee HB User

Glad to hear that you are getting a more finite diagnosis. Hopefully this will help with the classification and give Amanda a greater chance of success!

Old 11-06-2007, 01:15 PM   #66
    teresa2007
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teresa2007 HB User

Tsohl,
    I know i have to be careful what i say but are you not able to post over BP board anymore? I went to read my thread and its gone
    My daughters hours have been cut down to 2 days a week and my mom whatches him sometimes and her step mom so im enjoying that!
    But i did pick up another paper on child care for her today b/c i told her i simply cannot do it much anymore.
    Shes been really depressed b/c she doesnt have as much money and cant get any assistant either so its been really hard for her.
    I have to push her constantly its like pushing a cart with square wheels, you know what i mean I always thought it would get easier when their older boy i dont know now, what do you do with a 23 yr oldarhhhhhggg!
    Love ya Tee

Old 11-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #67
    Lor60
    (female)

Lor60 HB User

Welcome Tee,

I laughed out loud over your shopping cart with the square wheels. At least your 23 year old daughter has her own place. Please just say no to the Thanksgiving dinner for 30 plus. I am sure that someone else can do it. How about your MIL?

Keep posting and let us know how things are going with your children. I'm glad you will have a little more time for yourself.

Chelle, How are you and Amanda doing?

Lor

Old 11-06-2007, 08:15 PM   #68
    bpmom07
    (female)

bpmom07 HB User

Tonight was a horrible experience! I wasn't in the mood to cook dinner and the last thing the kids needed was fast food, so I decided to take them to Golden Corral so they could get a good meal. BIG mistake! I guess I'm just not supposed to take Amanda out in public? She was loud, she kept messing with Brandon, she wouldn't stay in her seat, she wouldn't eat her food, then out of nowhere said her stomach hurt and yes, she laid down on the floor, took her shoes off and every time I asked her to get her shoes back on and sit at the table she screamed NO! and just did whatever she wanted. I was sooooo embarrassed and wished that I could have gotten our food to go! My only saving grace was we got there before the dinner rush started and sat in the smoking section so at the time there wasn't very many people there, but I'm sure the employees cheered when we left. I did tip the waitress well for having to deal with us and swore that I will not take her out again until she is stable. Oh great, I managed to not cry all night and now I have tears!

Old 11-07-2007, 06:31 AM   #69
    Lor60
    (female)

Lor60 HB User

Hi Chelle,

Sorry you had such a bad night. Maybe you can try takeout. When my kids were little and my husband was traveling, I would take them out for dinner. I usually ended up regretting it because it just wasn't relaxing. By the end of the day they just did not enjoy sitting in a restaurant to eat. I like those places where they bring the food to the car and you can take it home to eat. With kids it's cheaper anyway because they can split.

I don't understand why they don't want to do a dual dx. BP and ADHD are frequently found together. My son was just dx'ed ADHD although he had signs before.

EYES, I am taking your a advice and trying not to give advice to Drew. He seems to be feeling better. He is a little irritable and moody but I think it is more like a "normal" adolescent thing. He does seem a little less motivated for school work. He is able to do his work without me sitting with him now so I have backed off. The problem is he has started procrastinating so by the time he gets to it he is rushed and has limited time.

I am in the process of changing jobs. I only work per diem, but the company I work for cannot understand why I cannot attend an 8:00 meeting. Obviously, they have never had to get an adolescent with BP out of bed and to school on time. I was very clear on my hours with my new employer so hopefully this will not be a problem.

Goody, I am wondering how Kait is doing. Drew seems to be doing OK with the welbutrin. He is reporting that he is able to focus a little better. I'm not sure if it is directly related to the welbutrin or just that he is less depressed but he is able to get his work done faster.

Hope, How did the meeting with the school go?

We are having some fall weather down here so I am going to get out to enjoy it.

Lor

Old 11-07-2007, 07:41 AM   #70
    twoeyez
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

twoeyez HB Usertwoeyez HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lor60 View Post
    EYES, I am taking your a advice and trying not to give advice to Drew. He seems to be feeling better. He is a little irritable and moody but I think it is more like a "normal" adolescent thing. He does seem a little less motivated for school work. He is able to do his work without me sitting with him now so I have backed off. The problem is he has started procrastinating so by the time he gets to it he is rushed and has limited time.
    Lor and all you Moms. Hear are some words of wisdom for you to help support your BD child. Watch what happens to them when you work on "Calmness".

In my last post,I talked about mom's abilities to to give support to their BP children. I mentioned that fathers have their own wasy to guide their BP children. My father was BP,however when he had his stable times;he taught me the concepts of "Calmness" :

He always said "Seek a calm inner responce to the circumstances of your life".
    In the mists of any kind of unrest--be it an argument,school pressures,a traffic jam,a monetary crisis,parental pressures,or anything at all--make the immediate decision that you will find the "Calm Center" of yourself. By not thinking of what is taking place,and instead taking a few deep breaths in which you opt to employ your mind of judgements;it becomes impossible to mentally "flit about llike a fool" . Work toward having the innate ability to choose "Calmness" in the face of situations that may drive you to mood changes.Your willingness to do so,especially when chaos and anger have been your previous choices,puts you in touch with "Calmness".

There was a time when I thought this was impossible. now I know even in the most troublesome of times, my reaction is to choose "Stillness"....will produce ...."Calmness".

Carry On,

Old 11-07-2007, 07:51 AM   #71
    bpmom07
    (female)

bpmom07 HB User

Lor, I don't understand it either. I'm thinking that it may just be that since the meds used for adhd can make bipolar worse they would prefer to treat only the bipolar. I'll ask her pdoc on Saturday what his thoughts are on it. All I want is for Amanda to be able to function and right now she isn't able to. If they can help her by only treating the bp then more power to them, but if not then I hope they will treat the adhd as well!

Yeah, I think next time I'm too lazy to cook I'll find a place here that does take out that isn't fast food or pizza. She is the one that asked for Golden Corral last night so I thought she would do better since it was her choice, but obviously not *sigh*.

Eyes, thanks for the words of wisdom!

eta: I just remembered that they said that she started off as ADHD, but is now transitioning into Bipolar and after awhile she will not have ADHD left at all and it will all be only Bipolar. Does that makes sense?

Last edited by bpmom07; 11-07-2007 at 07:53 AM.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:09 AM   #72
    Lor60
    (female)

Lor60 HB User

Chelle,

I guess there are two conflicting opinions. Some docs feel that BP and ADHD are frequently comorbid and some think that the BP child may initially present as ADHD but it may really be EOBP. It is important to stabilize the BP first with the mood stabilizers and AAP's. Some pdocs will use ADHD medication after the child has been stabilized for awhile. I know my son did not do well on stattera, however in hindsight I would have to say that he was not really stable at the time.

Anyway it does make sense to stabilize Amanda first and then see how she does.

Lor

Old 11-07-2007, 09:01 AM   #73
    bpmom07
    (female)

bpmom07 HB User

What are AAP's?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:53 AM   #74
    teresa2007
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teresa2007 HB User

Hello Lor,
    I know but i think that best described my daughter but your right i am glad she has a place of her own i just wish that she would take care of it better than she does.
    I feel like i still take care of her even tho she lives on her own and its really wearing me down with 2 little ones of my own and im trying to keep my head above water myself and it is not easy,thats why i think i have emotional breakdown alot
    I just wish i could get her to get her license that would help me alot
    oh about the MIL thing my husband is going to tell her that its not a good time for me so im really happy about that, we could have it at my SIL b/c they have it there every year so i dont know why she insisted on having it at my place? Hugs Tee

Old 11-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #75
    mamiacp
    (female)

mamiacp HB User

Chelle-Our experience with Amanda was an initial diagnosis of ADD(no hyperactivity) in the 4th grade. After trying every medication for ADD with anger and crying every evening she was diagnosed with BP. Our doctor, like Lor said, believes the stimulants make BP symptons worse and wanted to treat the BP first with the Seroquel and Trileptal. After about a year she added Metadate for the ADD symptoms. It took a while for her to stablize. I know what you mean about the screaming and crying and no amount of talk will calm her down. She can't and one thing our doctor said is that it is impossible to try to make our daughter understand when her thoughts are racing, irrational and unreasonable. The chaos in her head had to be calmed. I so sympathize with what you are going through because it happens so quickly and there does not have to anything that sets her off. I so hope that the doctor is able to work with you to get her stablized. Did you call your doctor and tell him about this latest episode? I wanted to mention that when our daughter started an episode (this was after she started Seroquel and Trileptal) our doctor told me to give her 25-50mg of Seroquel to calm her down. Sometimes this put her to sleep, but at least she was calm and it stopped the episode. Actually there was a period of time that she took Seroquel at night and 25 mg every 6 hours during the day. One last thing-does she sleep well at night now that they have increased the Seroquel?

I would say let your doctor know about this latest episode and write down everything before your next appointment. I know it may sound unbelievable right now but things do get better.

Cristina

Closed Thread