It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board

• My daughter's teacher is concerned...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #1
    tlhalabama
    Veteran
    (female)

tlhalabama HB User
    My daughter's teacher is concerned...

This morning, my daughter's preschool teacher told me that she is doing well in class, learning and behaving well. My daughter is 6 and is finishing up at preschool. We choose to keep her there for another year for maturity purposes as well as to help her academically. She is doing great and we feel that come this fall, she will be ready for kindergarten.

The teacher did tell me that she is a little concerned about my daughter. She is a very loving, huggy, emotional little girl. Her heart is as big as the world. The teacher has noticed that my daughter is gullible and easily persuaded into doing things with other kids that get them into trouble. I guess you could say she is a "follower". The teacher is worried that when she goes to kindergarten, the other kids are going to get her to do things for them and to get her into trouble.

Is there anything that we can do to help our daughter? I love her sweet gentle personality but I do not want her getting into unnecessary trouble because of other kids.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2008, 12:37 PM   #2
    CaringMom
    Veteran
    (female)

CaringMom HB User
    Re: My daughter's teacher is concerned...

I understand your concerns. Though my daughters are pretty well grown, I remember back when they were young, and even in high school, how certain kids can persuade another to do something.
    You may want to see about movies or books that deal with this. I really liked that movie "Mean Girls"; though she is young for that. But that's what I'm getting at; something you can discuss. Basically it's bullying and peer pressure. You have been teaching her since she was old enough to understand what is right and what is wrong. Hopefully if she is ever in that position, her conscience will lead her in the right direction.
    Keep the communication lines open between the two of you. If this would happen, you may be able to pick up on it.
    I wouldn't fret over something that may never happen; just be aware of what is going on in her life as she grows.
    I'm sure others will have some other/better ideas. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:15 PM   #3
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hi: I agree with caringmom, that you just need to sit her down and be honest with her about the world outside. You don't have to scare her or take away her sweetness. She just needs to know that there are many different kinds of people out there and some children do not know the difference between right and wrong. Sometimes even the ones who do know the difference, choose to do bad things anyway.

I would deal with these situations as or if they arise. Giving her too much to think about at this age might only confuse her. But, most importantly, teach her to "fight her own battles". Don't be in a hurry to jump in and call a teacher or a parent if there is a problem. Just discuss the pros and cons with your daughter, give her advice as to how she should handle it and let her do it on her own. This is the only way she will learn independence. If mom and dad jump in, she will assume she never has to stand up for herself, and will be at more risk of being taken advantage of.

Best of luck and don't worry too much. She will do just fine.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
    tlhalabama
    Veteran
    (female)

tlhalabama HB User

Thank you guys for the advice.

We did sit her down the other day to talk a little about this. In just casual talking, I asked her what she would do in certain situations and each time she said that she would tell her friends to stop.

I really hope that she does this.

We even reaffirmed our talk about right and wrong.

Closed Thread