It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board

• my 13 year old daughter has bipolar disorder

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
    huskermom
    (female)

huskermom HB User
    Re: grogginess and aggitation from seroquel

Hello, I am new to these boards. I am trying to seek answers to be able to help my 13 year old daughter. It seems that you need to do the leg work and research for yourself. I have learned not to just "trust" the pdoc just because they have a degree. They are NOT living w/ this illness and they don't have to live w/ the side effects. I am in the process of weaning my daughter off of Seroquel. She was on 900mg a day and was pretty much in a fog. She has gained over 50lbs in 5 months and has ulcers from this drug. Seroquel can also cause diabetes.

I guess everyone's body reacts different to different things, but always do your own research and fight for your rights. This illness can be horrible to live with if you aren't on the right treatment plan. Or if you stop taking your meds because the side effects aren't worth it. My daughter has been on this med for a year and she can barely stay awake in school. I am searching different options for her. My thoughts are with anyone w/ this illness.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-24-2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: posted commercial website

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #2
    m1e1b1s1
    (female)

m1e1b1s1 HB User
    Re: my 13 year old daughter has bipolar disorder

Just a thought...

I know someone who's 11 year old was diagnosed first with ADHD, then as being Bi-Polar. She was put on meds, and in a constant "fog" so after being tired of hearing the same thing from the doctors, they changed docs...

her diagnosis was changed, she does not have bi-polar disorder.

Did you know that someone suffering from depression, who has ONE manic episode can be labeled as bi-polar?

My cousin does have bi-polar disorder, has been on meds since he was 15, after "tweaking" them for a while, he's been fine ever since...however the KEY to his treatment has been therapy. He currently has 2 therapists, however when he was in school, he had 3 as he had one he saw in school.

I also care for a child that was diagnosed again, as having ADHD.....I talked to mom, as I cared for this guy for 4 years...i had an issue with this diagnosis and didn't feel it was right and told her to watch the schools as I find they are much to quick to diagnose this. I was sitting with his grandmother one day, when she got a call (she was dropping the brother off), she was to come pick up that night...she didn't and mom did, and was visibly upset. The school called and asked for them to call his doctor, as he was urinating much too much. He was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes...he's been on insulin and guess what........no more signs of ADHD......

Just get GOOD treatment and GOOD doctors.....make absolutely CERTAIN that this is the correct diagnosis. Read up on diet, diet has HUGE impact on mood.

My husband was put on ritalin as a child, due to hyperactivity.....after 2 days of being in a "fog" my MIL took him off the meds and said she'd much rather deal with a hyper child than a zombie....he was fine in the end, she changed his diet (no citrus, red coloring, sugars etc).

GOOD LUCK TO YOU :-)

Closed Thread