It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board

• why does my toddler take his nappy off and smear it everywhere?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-13-2009, 02:40 AM   #1
    bungstersbird
    (female)

bungstersbird HB User
    why does my toddler take his nappy off and smear it everywhere?

why does my toddler take his nappy off and smear it everywhere?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
    Seraph
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
    Re: why does my toddler take his nappy off and smear it everywhere?

Basically because he can. Apart from saying No, stop it, there is not much you can do. Can you put him in onesies that he cannot get open? Good luck.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
    worriedtoo
    (female)

worriedtoo HB User
    Re: why does my toddler take his nappy off and smear it everywhere?

hi bungsterbird... oh dear poor you... not a pleasant problem to have to keep dealing with!? i think there could be lots of reasons for toddlers to start poo smearing... my 2 year old is fascinated with poo and has recently kept asking to see it in her nappy etc. The other day she said "look mummy" and when i turned round she had done a poo in the middle of the front room floor - luckily they were the small hard poos so i could just pick them up with a wipe!!!!

How is your little ones behaviour in general? Does he generally do what you ask him or is he a bit of a handful?

It could just be an odd phase that he is going through and might be nothing at all to worry about. I think alot of children go through this fascination with poo and do the same as your son and then simply grow out of it or stop doing it.. not a nice phase though eh - and probably one some mums don't tell their friends about!!!

One thing that does occur to me is that my friends little girl smeared poo and she was diagnosed with autism at a very young age. Poo smearing is very common in children who have autism or other communication disorders. Not saying at ALL that your toddler has autism it really could just be a phase he is going through but i just know that it is a very common problem in children with autism. My friends daughter really "got something" out of smearing poo - it was a real sensory high for her - which i know sounds gross to us but to her the feel and smell of smearing was very satisfying for her. My friend found the solution by dressing her daughter in a pair of leggings, with a UV swimsuit that does up at the back.

sometimes it is really hard to differentiate between toddlers who are just being todlders, or whether there is an underlying cause for their behaviour. Especially with autism because other than communication problems and funny habits (which again all kids have) you would not be able to tell by just looking at a child that there was any problem. But you are doing the right thing by trying to find out "why" he is doing it and by talking to others - good for you.

sorry to waffle on and if it carries on then talk to your health visitor about it - they will be able to reassure you and find out some more information about your particular problem to see if there are any other possible causes. I'm sure it is probably a phase he's going through - get one of those UV swimsuits and hopefully that will stop it!

take care

worried1

Closed Thread