It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board

• Toddler hitting and pushing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
    Belly Kelly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Belly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB UserBelly Kelly HB User
    Toddler hitting and pushing

My son will be 3 years old in a few weeks. He talks very well for his age and the way to describe him is, "all boy." He goes to preschool two days a week (just started school in Sept.) for a couple of hours for social interaction and play.

He has been put in time out in school for pushing. Today at the park, he was playing with friends, another little girl was near him, and he hit and pushed her. She was screaming and crying. I grabbed my child, told him how hitting and pushing hurts, told him the little girl was crying and sad, and then told him we were leaving the park. He did not like that we were leaving and cried...but I knew it was the right thing to do.

He has hit other kids in the past and we always remove him from the situation and also put him in a time out.

Sometimes he will be playing with his friends very well for an hour and then all the sudden he will hit them.

I don't know what's up! I know he doesn't like kids to get him his space, but pushing cannot be the answer.

He doesn't go up to random kids and hit or push them normally (except for this little girl at the park). He won't just push a kid from behind or anything like that. It often happens with kids he knows or who are his friends.

Please tell me this is a stage? I thought this would have happened when he was younger, before he could talk. But my son is potty trained and speaks very well. He is a bigger kid - tall and looks like he is almost 4 years old.

Anyhow, between school, playgroup, the park, etc. I am starting to feel so bad. Can anyone relate???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
    abby1998
    (female)

abby1998 HB User
    Re: Toddler hitting and pushing

ME!!! My son has always had a tendancy to hit bite and shove he will be 3 in march. I used to feel horrible about it because it seemed so unprovoked. His daycare teachers even told us he hit other kids too much. It seems like you are going about this the right way. We stumbled across something that worked really well for us and has completely stopped his hitting problem: My son really likes to play computer games so we told him that he can play computer games at the end of every day IF there was no hitting. If he didnt hit any kids at daycare we made a really big deal out of it and gave him lots of positive reinforcement. If he did hit we told him calmly that there will be no computer games and why. After a week his hitting came to a standstill and he hasnt done any since.

So think of something really special that your child likes to do. You can even make a little chart with stickers or something. Ask the preschool teachers to make a mental note of any hitting, and give him lots of other opportunities to practice socializing without hitting. Good luck hope it helps!

Closed Thread