It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board

• 8 years old too old for birthday party?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-24-2002, 06:34 AM   #1
    Cheryl3

Cheryl3 HB User
    Post 8 years old too old for birthday party?

Hi,
    My son will turn 8 in a couple weeks and I'm wondering if this is too old to have a "birthday party," the kind where you go to a game room or mini golf course, have pizza, do cake, sing happy birthday and all that stuff. My husband was in charge of planning his birthday party last year and didn't do a thing, so I kind of feel like I should give him one last "hurrah" this year.

Also, I'd like to ask the kids NOT to bring gifts, (he'll get plenty from our large extended family), but I'm afraid that some would anyway and then those who didn't would feel bad. Any opinions on this?

Thanks!

------------------
    Cheryl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2002, 08:31 AM   #2
    Greenberry
    Veteran

Greenberry HB User
    Eight is a perfect age for a birthday party! I wouldn't hire a clown or have pony rides, or anything like that, but 8 years old is still a LITTLE KID! What makes you think that 8 is too old for a birthday party? I had birthday parties up until I was at least 15 or 16, with my friends all coming over to my house, and my dad would cook out and we'd have cake and ice cream, or my parents would take me and a bunch of my friends out somewhere.

Birthday parties are one of the greatest parts of childhood. The most fun birthday party I ever had was when I was about 11 or 12. My mom bought three or four different kinds of ice cream, and three or four different topping syrups and sprinkles and nuts and cherries and whipped cream, and all of my little girlfriends came over and we made our own ice cream sundaes. It was great! I wouldn't give up those memories for anything!

Oh, and about gifts, I would put "No presents PLEASE" on the invitation. (I am doing that for my daughter's party this year.) Some people may bring something anyway, but when I receive an invitation that says no gifts, I usually don't take one, and if someone else does, that is just fine with me and doesn't hurt my feelings one bit (but I AM less sensitive than most people). Some people just can't follow directions (LOL!)! Keep the present-opening--if anyone brings one--low-key. It would be good the minute someone shows up with a gift, have your son open it in their presence, so they get to see him to open it and acknowledge it, and then kind of set it off to the side. That way the whole group's attention won't be on the gifts, but will instead be focused on celebrating the wonderful occasion of your son's birthday!

[This message has been edited by Greenberry (edited 09-24-2002).]

Old 10-11-2002, 01:40 PM   #3
    lovelyme
    Inactive

lovelyme HB User
    HECK NO!!!! Definitly not young and I agree with letting him decide! Think mock camp out in back yard with tents!! Don't have tents, use blankets and chairs outside to make one! hy can eat popcorn and have smores (minus the fire)!

Old 10-22-2002, 12:36 PM   #4
    mamaof3

mamaof3 HB User
    I agree on letting him decide. My son wants to have cake and ice cream but just have a few kids spend the night. So whatever he wants. His is in three weeks. Good Luck. And http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/birthday.gif to your son.

Old 10-22-2002, 02:45 PM   #5
    Fearless
    Inactive

Fearless HB User
    Hi there,, gawd i hope not, Im preparing not only for my 5 soon to be 6 yr old birthday party for the first time, but also for my 12 almost 13 yr old. I say your never to old for all that fun, hee hee.

Old 10-22-2002, 07:17 PM   #6
    wattagirl
    Veteran

wattagirl HB User
    my niece and nephew are 12 and 13-they don't want parties so we have started letting them choose one friend and they stay the night-one of us take them out to eat-one takes them to the movies-maybe to the mall-you know just teen stuff-lol

Old 10-23-2002, 07:41 AM   #7
    mlgable
    Inactive

mlgable HB User
    You are never to old for birthday parties but let your child decide what he would like to do for his birthday. Would he like a party at home or a sleepover or maybe go to a roller skating rink for a party? I find holidays of any sort are a great excuse for some kind of a celebration.

Closed Thread