It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board

• I need suggestions on how to tame my 2 year old son

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-04-2002, 05:59 AM   #16
    DSW67
    Inactive

DSW67 HB User
    I agree with Chelle, it sounds to me like you have a very intelligent child that bores easily. Get him involved with structured activities that will keep his hands busy in a constructive way.

I did spank my children when they were little, I don't anymore, there are more effective ways of punishing them now. When they were little time outs did not work at all. Spankings got there attention, they knew they messed up and to straighten up. Two year old do know right from wrong.

Deb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2002, 12:32 PM   #17
    Greenberry
    Veteran

Greenberry HB User
    I have found that spankings work very well for my daughter as well, when I can use them. She really doesn't mind sitting in time-out. I have put her in time-out, and she just sits there quietly, and then goes and plays like nothing has happened. I don't think punishment is effective unless a child actually knows that they are being punished and dislikes the punishment.

Old 01-19-2003, 05:27 PM   #18
    Cheryl3

Cheryl3 HB User
    2-year-olds definitely know right from wrong! In fact, this awareness starts at approximately 12-15 months. I'm not advocating spanking for parents who are uncomfortable with it, but the bottom line is that children need to learn that mom and dad are the boss. Whatever it takes to instill that notion in your individual child is what you need to do. Our function as parents is to protect our children. If a child ignores your commands, this is a big problem and ultimately his safety is in jeopardy. A healthy fear of disobeying mom and dad is one of the best gifts we can give our children. I know that's how I lived to be an adult

[This message has been edited by Cheryl3 (edited 04-10-2003).]

Old 01-23-2003, 10:46 AM   #19
    msrivers

msrivers HB User
    He's two for goodness sakes!! Don't take this wrong, please don't, but he is STILL JUST A BABY!!! I am going through the "terrible two's" with my third child. She is by far the most active child I have ever had. Each child is different and you have to parent them to suit their individual needs. What worked for my son and other daughter doesn't always work with Sara. She has earned the nickname busy body in our family for SURE!! This might sound far fetched, but I childproofed the places I didn't want her getting into. Then I placed a call to the local grocery store where they save the BIG sturdy cardboard boxes for me.
    I save the empty toilet paper and paper towel rolls. I throw all of this together in the living room, which is childproofed, and she can rip and tear and destroy to her hearts content. Of course I don't know if this will work for every child, but Sara thinks it is the cat's meow. When she gets too tired and starts throwing her tantrums, or doesn't get her way and starts throwing a tantrum, we place her in her crib until she calms down. I ignore the stares and strange looks I get when we go out in public and she gets cranky. Who cares anyway? She is just a baby. She isn't doing it to be malicious or hurt anybody, she is just testing her boundaries, being a baby, doing what she is supposed to do. I don't know if any of this helped, but I have learned to try to keep things in perspective.

Old 01-23-2003, 12:09 PM   #20
    *SoccerMom*
    (female)

*SoccerMom* HB User
    Hey Kadree~
    Are things getting any easier? It has been about 5 months since your original post so hopefully things are getting easier. Things are better around here with my 3 yr old "cyclone"....each day gets easier!

Closed Thread