It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board

• what to do with baby/toddler when you want a shower

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-03-2003, 10:09 AM   #1
    LookingForHealth
    Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
    Post what to do with baby/toddler when you want a shower

"Although it really is never safe to leave a baby unattended, you can take steps to make it somewhat safer for you to take a quick shower.

First, if you have more than one shower in your home, use the one that gives you the best visibility of the rest of the bathroom. Clear glass doors and walls typically provide much better visibility than curtains or opaque glass.

Second, make sure your child is restricted to the bathroom area. You may need a safety gate or door latch for a toddler, while something like a bouncy chair, Exersaucer, or playpen may suffice for a younger child.

Third, prevent your child from getting at choking and poisoning hazards by latching your cabinets and keeping medications, appliances, and jewelry out of reach. A plugged-in hairdryer, curling iron, or electric shaver can seriously burn, shock, or strangle a child very quickly.

Fourth, prevent access to the toilet with a toilet latch.

Finally, be quick.

Remember, while it's never safe to leave a baby unattended for any reason, if you really need a shower and no one else is available to supervise, taking these steps will make it much safer for your child."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2003, 08:11 PM   #2
    rainflower

rainflower HB User
    Smile

I cant resist this since I was one of the few people who take showers with their children...
    Good Grief...take them in with you. Babies are never too young to get used to water in any safe supervised manner. I know its not the relaxing experience but if you have no one else to watch them then go for it. When my sons were toilet training I sat them on the toilet with a book and they talked with me and sat there until I was done...two for one!!

Old 02-03-2003, 08:27 PM   #3
    Blastoff9600
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Blastoff9600 HB UserBlastoff9600 HB User
    I am a part time single mom(air force wife in other words). So I spend alot of time with it being just me and our sons. Our oldest is six now so he takes showers or baths by himself for the most part. Our youngest it 2 and he takes showers with me when I need to take it during the day or a time when he is awake. Most times I just wait until after they have had their baths and are in bed. I then hop in the shower.
    I have done the shared shower thing quite often. A neat things my kids love is getting one of those bath seats that they can sit in. I then have the shower on but the tub plug in so that it can fill up some while I shower. This gives my son some water to play in so I dont have to hold him the whole time.
    TTC #3 since 01/02

Old 02-03-2003, 10:52 PM   #4
    bruised

bruised HB User
    When the kids were babies I would have a shower and they would be in their crib.When they were toddler age I put a gate up in the hall with toys and shut the doors and kept the hall light on.Never had any problems.Same with house cleaning.Their rooms were child proof,so I would put a gate on their door and have it open so I could hear and check on them.I knew their room was safe so it never bothered me.Those gates came in handy.But I usually have the door open to hear now,and d has shower with me because she's the curious cat now and gotta watch her.

Old 02-04-2003, 09:32 AM   #5
    mommyof5

mommyof5 HB User
    Talking

I have taken them all in the shower with me from about 18 months. It actually worked really well for me because bending over the bathtub really hurts my back( I have a sciatic(sp?) nerve problem). When they were younger I brought the exersaucer right in the bathroom (it's 9 by 12 feet) and when they were even younger I put them in their infant car seat. If they were still in cribs, I would take my shower during their naptime, I just brought the baby monitor in and blared it.

mommyof5

Old 02-04-2003, 07:21 PM   #6
    wattagirl
    Veteran

wattagirl HB User
    i tried the takeing a shower together thing but it made me nervous-i was scared my 18 mnth old would fall or i would-so i just take it when she is napping-after she is gone to bed -or when dad is here-i always leave the monitor on when i do it when she is asleep

Old 02-04-2003, 09:02 PM   #7
    LookingForHealth
    Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
    One should never take a bath with a baby/infant, if you fell asleep or passed out in the tub, they drown.

Instead of saying "never" I should say, if you're doing it together for the bonding of it, make sure it's either quick for you, or someone is aware you are in there besides yourself.

I've heard of deaths from this. I would never have thought of that till I heard about it.

Old 02-04-2003, 10:29 PM   #8
    bruised

bruised HB User
    I don't think showering is "bonding"or is it?I do it only because it's quicker to get d ready and she loves the bath too much sometimes she doesn't want to get out.So for me it's a time issue.

Old 02-12-2003, 09:59 AM   #9
    Cheryl3

Cheryl3 HB User
    nt

[This message has been edited by Cheryl3 (edited 04-10-2003).]

Old 02-12-2003, 02:27 PM   #10
    LookingForHealth
    Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
    I don't mean be paranoid....but a bath, not a shower, would be an obvious thing to to watch out for if you take a small infant in with you. In this case, the minute something happens to you, the baby dies. If you're not in a body of water, or are out in public, it is unlikely that your problem will go unnoticed and people would allow a baby to just wander away. It's just one of those very rare things where an infant has zero chance to survive (your bath)

Old 03-23-2003, 01:03 AM   #11
    Kristie Alsteen

Kristie Alsteen HB User
    when my son couldn't sit up on his own yet i buckled him in his carseat or put him in his bouncer thing and showered. When he could sit in the baby seat with the suction cups that stick on the tub I showered with him in it close to the drain so the spray wasn't on him. When he outgrew that I had to take a bath with him because he wasn't steady enough on his feet for him to stand in the shower without slipping, so we'd take our bath and then dry off and then i'd take the shower head and wash my hair after the shower with him in the bathroom. (I hate rinsing my hair in bathtubs, my hair is very long) When my son stopped slipping in the tub we started to shower together. Now that he is 3 we don't shower together as much because he will sit and watch one of his disany movies while I shower as long as I leave the bathroom door open so he can still hear me and talk to me.

I think that showering with your children is a good idea because they see their parents without clothes on, which shows them that there are certain places it is ok to be undressed and other places you have to wear clothes. It also shows the child that our bodies are not something to be embarrased about, and in my case my son noticed when he was 2 that I didn't have a penis but he did, and that "I have underware for my boobies" but he don't. I also allowed my son to watch me brush my teeth, trim my bangs, and put deoderant on, which has made it much easier for me to get those things done on him. YES HE SITS VERY STILL FOR ME TO TRIM HIS HAIR, because he knows that momma has do have those things done to her. But after he started wanting to wear deoderant I started doing certain things when he was alseep for fear of him wanting to have all of those things done (Shaving,anything that only women do,...)

Basically my experiance has been that the more I let my son see that he is that same as me (except the penis or lack of) and that he needs to do the same things as I do to keep himself cleen and healthy the easier it has been on me to get him to do those things.

Closed Thread