It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parenting Issues Message Board

• Sick kids going to school

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2003, 07:54 PM   #16
    LookingForHealth
    Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
    youre right (post above me), it is so frustrating when a sick child is dropped off at daycare or school. fevers are almost always contagious. i am fed up with wiping green snot noses and calling moms to come get their kids. like the adults want to get sick??? then whos going to watch their kids??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2003, 07:55 PM   #17
    LookingForHealth
    Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
    youre right (post above me), it is so frustrating when a sick child is dropped off at daycare or school. fevers are almost always contagious. i am fed up with wiping green snot noses and calling moms to come get their kids. like the adults want to get sick??? then whos going to watch their kids??

Old 03-30-2003, 08:57 PM   #18
    Irish Cream

I don't agree with parents sending them to school/day care etc if they are sick. But I can understand where they are coming from.

I had a boss once that his motto for us managers was we don't get sick,we don't get hurt, we don't feel pain. That pretty much also went for employees kids too. He'd get upset if you called in because your kid was sick and you needed to stay home.

Parents I guess need a plan what to do if their child gets sick. Parents need to decide who will stay home. Maybe mom the first time/day, dad the next. Or if that isn't possible have a neighbor who will. Trade babysitting with them if they have kids. Discuss it with your boss before it happens.

When I worked at a day care we had one little boy who's fever shot up in the afternoon. Dad picked him up and would show up the next day and the boy would feel great(temp down & acting like normal 2 year old) Same thing happened again. 3 days this happened and on the fourth day he came in without his son. The military DRs finally decided the boy had pneumonia(sp).

Old 03-30-2003, 10:43 PM   #19
    LookingForHealth
    Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
    in this world, these common illnesses are here to stay. why? because of the work pressure. the parents get into these controlling jobs where they cant even take a sick day off...guess what? the kid is sent to school sick, or just as bad, stays home ONE day and returns the next day, equally contagious. it takes several days to no longer be contagious.

Old 03-31-2003, 07:18 AM   #20
    Kimianne
    Veteran
    (female)

Kimianne HB User
    Thumbs up

I agree in theory to all that is being said here. And I think that most parents WANT to stay home and take care of their sick babies.

I am a single parent and am EXTREMELY LUCKY with my present working situation. My boss insists that I be able to stay home when my son needs me and has made, on my recommendations, several considsiderations for my assistant and myself to be able to be there for our children.

However, this is usually the exception and not the rule in a professional setting. Realistically, although everyone wants and needs to take care of their children when sick I can see where some jobs are put in jeopardy. Jobs are hard to come by and I can see people being afraid to risk what they have.

I think the solution has more to do with our society and employers then the actual parents.

------------------
    Kimi

Old 03-31-2003, 10:34 AM   #21
    Piperdreams
    Inactive

Piperdreams HB User
    I agree Kimi. That's why I like my current job. I work for the federal government now (used to work for a big family owned company) and when I take my sick leave here I donot get interrogated like the way my previous employer did to me.

Piper

Old 03-31-2003, 07:07 PM   #22
    wattagirl
    Veteran

wattagirl HB User
    i think too that most companies or bosses wouldn't say too much if the parent hasn't already missed a lot of days for other reasons-i know mothers that would never call in so they could save their miss days for reasons such as their child being sick

Old 04-02-2003, 06:44 AM   #23
    Kimianne
    Veteran
    (female)

Kimianne HB User
    Wattagirl:

I somewhat disagree with your statement. Companies do not like unscheduled time off- period.

In today's economy it costs them too much to miss deadlines.

Although my boss has no problem with time I need for my son, in fairness to him and the company I apply my personal or sick time earned to the time misssed.

He is still one of the exceptions to this problem and not the rule.

------------------
    Kimi

Old 04-02-2003, 06:44 AM   #24
    Kimianne
    Veteran
    (female)

Kimianne HB User
    Sorry posted twice!

[This message has been edited by Kimianne (edited 04-02-2003).]

Old 04-02-2003, 07:06 AM   #25
    Mo7609
    (female)

Mo7609 HB User
    The problem with the grade schools is that they encourage the children to come to school (even sick!) becasue every time that a child is sick the school looses money! Personaly if my children are isckthey stay home; if they just have a non contageous runny nose or something to that affect then they go to school. but at least in or school district they engourage them to come even if they have to leave after an hour; this way they can say that they were there and get their money. Pretty messed up.... and then we wonder why our kids come home sick!

Old 04-02-2003, 09:31 PM   #26
    LookingForHealth
    Inactive

LookingForHealth HB User
    since this is a never ending nightmare with schools...kids should try to be taught not to put their dirty fingers in their mouths, nose or eyes!! they should keep bath and body works kids antibacterial wipes or foam pump in their backpack (or is that considered a drug at school???)

Closed Thread