It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board

• Cost of DBS/STN surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2001, 04:25 PM   #1
    Bruce
    Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
    Post Cost of DBS/STN surgery

I am seriously considering paying for this surgery myself. One estimate was about $20,000 for the total bill. Does anyone know the cost of the surgery in the Indiana area?

Bruce

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2001, 05:01 AM   #2
    seasongood

seasongood HB User
    Well, Bruce, I can only surmise that nobody knows anything about the cost of the DBS surgery in Indiana. Are you willing to go out-of-state? If so, I can do some basic research for you at Hopkins and Baltimore or George Washington Hospital Center in DC.

I can only imagine how frustrated you must be feeling. Wish I could be of more help to you.

Love, Sylvia

Old 03-05-2001, 07:36 AM   #3
    LiceN

LiceN HB User
    Bruce, I am sure you read Dr. Abe's recent post concerning the "soon to be" approval of this surgery. He stated that Med.Care would soon follow and pay for such. Hope this is for ALL STATES. Certainly has been most unfair for some to get approval and other states not. Hang in there,and lets all pray that this surgery will be available thru MC for all who desire it. Betty D.

Old 03-05-2001, 01:58 PM   #4
    Googy
    Senior Veteran

Googy HB User
    You know how I feel about this Bruce,Have it done and then fight the grievance board of medicare if they dont pay.I did this once for therapy for Bill that was done at the hospital.It took some time to get reinbursed.But of course was not a huge amount ,under a $1,000.I sent one letter filing a grievance with the denial statement they sent.

It will all work out Bruce,I know !

Googy

Old 03-05-2001, 05:05 PM   #5
    Bruce
    Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
    Thank you ladies. If the price is reasonable I have decided to go for the DBS surgery at the hospital nearby. I don't walk good enough to travel out of the state. Googy, your suggestion was a good idea, because someone on a different board had the surgery on one side and medicare will pay for that much. He had his surgery in Texas and the medicare coverage was exactly the same as here in Indiana.

I have to admit that the strain from waitting so long is starting to get to me. My insomnia has returned. Bruce

Old 03-05-2001, 05:49 PM   #6
    julie

julie HB User
    Hi Bruce and all,
    Sorry to hear you are still waiting for surgery. Due to a new job I do not get on the internet very often.
    I don't know if anyone will remember me. I used to read this board every day, it was a help. My husband's health has been in a steady decline. Googy, how do you get used to always taking care of people and very seldom getting the care back? I know I just need to toughen up but I miss what we used to have.
    My best to all, Julie.

Old 03-06-2001, 02:58 PM   #7
    Googy
    Senior Veteran

Googy HB User
    Julie,

I have missed you,I'm so happy to see you on this new BB.A big welcome.I do have a nurses aid now every other week to take care of Bill.It is expensive,but I need the rest.With you it is so much harder.I did work also in the beginning.It has been a hard road dont think it is easy.I just get up every day and do the best I can.That is what you have to do. We cannot change anything,It could be us dealing with this PD.
    Much Love,

Googy

Old 03-18-2001, 03:00 PM   #8
    pete

pete HB User

ello, Bruce,
    Well i am now an unofficial, prestaged, pd patient inwaiting to be prescheduled for a DBS--in short, the surgeon will dp it, when he find his mis placed-"round to it."
    Bruce and anyone who can offer some insight to the topic below, please feel free to jump in:

I am an "in waiting" parkinson patient for a DBS. I don't have an established date(surgeon' schedule.)
    I have heard about the mapping of sites to give surgeon a safe journey to all of his destinations in the brain. I have also heard that some don't use this routine. If you have experienced either of these as patients of the DBS or you just know something about this, would you mind sharing it with me?

thanks so much-pete

Old 03-18-2001, 05:56 PM   #9
    Bruce
    Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
    Pete, glad to hear you are getting close to having the surgery.I can't remember where I read this, but it said most of the neurosurgeons do the mapping to find the target, but a few do not do the mapping. My impresssion from the words I read, only the most experienced and skillful surgeons were confident enough to perform the surgery without doing the mapping.

I decided I was tired of waitting on the FDA and medicare and pay for the surgery. Then I will battle medicare with enough paper that maybe they will get tired of putting up with me. I have a tentative date the later part of April.

Good luck on your surgery and take care.

Bruce

Old 03-24-2001, 05:24 AM   #10
    Lory
    Inactive

Lory HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by Bruce:
    I am seriously considering paying for this surgery myself. One estimate was about $20,000 for the total bill. Does anyone know the cost of the surgery in the Indiana area?

Bruce
    Bruce, thanks for the current quote. I'm going to be a keynote speaker 4/2/01 for a PD support group's first meeting, and wanted to include this info in my repertoire, 'cause I know the question will be asked by someone. Lory

Old 03-24-2001, 01:06 PM   #11
    Bruce
    Senior Veteran

Bruce HB User
    Lory, the $20,000 estimate is not an accurate figure. The people who gave me that estimate don't know what they are talking about. The hospital gave me an average amount for the hospital's cost of $21,000. I have already paidthe surgeon's fee and it was $7200. These figures don't include the neurologist's fee or the anestheologist's fee. I am guessing at least $40,000 and wouldn't be surprised if the total is even higher. I am still not clear if I have to pay for the followup adjustments or pay more for extra days in the hospital. The neurologist refused to give me his fees.

Anyway, I believe they misled me and I am not happy with getting the run around.
    Bruce

Old 04-02-2008, 07:04 PM   #12
    kv123
    (male)

kv123 HB User
    Re: Cost of DBS/STN surgery

Hi,
    The total cost for hospital stay + surgeon + neurologist + anesthesiologist + 2 MRI's for the insertion with one day ICU stay, total cost for the insertion alone is between $50-60K in Connecticut.

Many neurosurgeons find that the neurophysiologic monitoring helps refine the final location - especially the depth. If this is not used and the patient does not respond well to the test stimulation or has untowards side effects, the monitoring can definitely help the surgeon reorient the trajectory of the electrode into a better position. Remember - the STN cannot be seen on a standard planning MRI. It's position is inferred from other structures and the inital electrode pass is performed withe use of coordinates derived from a stereotactic atlas and the position of the anterior and posterior commisures. The main other determinant is the surgeon's own experience.

Good luck,
    - A DBS surgeon

Last edited by kv123; 04-02-2008 at 07:06 PM. Reason: make clearer

Old 03-23-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
    clsc
    (female)

clsc HB User
    Re: Cost of DBS/STN surgery

This is interesting, and some comments on this thread answer questions that have been forming in my mind.

Does anyone know whether or not it's standard for Medicare to cover this in all states now?

Closed Thread