It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Parkinson's Disease Message Board

When the Medes aren't working?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #1
guy7723
(male)

guy7723 HB User
When the Meds aren't working?

What do we do when the meds are not working? My mother has PD and is only getting worse. She has a supposedly very good neurologist.

Her rigidity, balance, and speech-to name a few-are progressively getting worse. She has a walker but has fallen numerous times. Broken teeth and the last fall was backwards resulting in 5 staples in the back of the head.

So my question-
What do you do when none of the medicines are working? Do we just say oh well let's keep trying to change or alter how much medicine she is taking? Or is there something else out there that is working for someone else?

I just can't sit back and watch this strong woman be crumbled into pieces and just have the Dr say let's try lowering or raising the doses.
There has to be something out there that can help!

Please respond and thank you in advance!

Greg

Last edited by guy7723; 11-20-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #2
sparky1109
(male)

sparky1109 HB User
Re: When the Medes aren't working?

One way of combating the precarious "on" "off" nature of dopaminergic drugs is to eat a lot of carbs, spread out among 4 or 5 small meals a day saving protein for the last meal. The protein competes with the L-dopa on the muscle tissue receptors.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
rreliz
(female)

rreliz HB User
Re: When the Medes aren't working?

This drug enhances ghr I just started taking comtan in small D's (1/2 200 Mg tablet) first week take second week on
Third day was much better)

Old 01-05-2015, 12:21 AM   #4
PD12
(female)

PD12 HB User
Re: When the Meds aren't working?

I know from my experience it takes a week or two for the body to adapt to new or changes in medications. Part of that adaption is the timing of food, espically protein. During my "off time", when I have taken my meds, but they aren't effective yet, I sit or nap thus reducing risk of injuring myself. I also have found that avoiding heavy foods or large meals a min of 60 min prior to my next dose increases the effectiveness of that pending dose. Then the meds don't have to compete with food adsorption in the small intestine. Sense of balance is an issue; there are specific exercises that help me improve it. I go to excercise classes specificly designed for people with Parkinson Disease--a physical therapist can assist with balance problems. I have found there is no one pat answer, but many coping strategies can work together to help.

Last edited by PD12; 01-05-2015 at 12:39 AM. Reason: error

Old 10-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #5
shar23
(female)

shar23 HB User
Re: When the Meds aren't working?

I know what you mean meds are really not working that much anymore. My husband has Parkinson and he has really gotten worse. He has the ustep with laser walker and he still falls. Four weeks ago he fell over a rally onto concrete. The doctors up his meds as far as they could give him. He has a hard time walking with the walker falls backwards and forwards and to the point he is so afraid he is going to fall. He doesn't even like to go anywhere now just likes to sit home and watch tv. Not even exercising anymore. I am at my wits end figuring out how to help. It seems these drs. just hand them meds .. He does go to Physical therepy now twice a week. If you have balance issues the surgery wont work... anyone have any other ideas

Reply Reply