It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board

Xanax XR & alcohol

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2018, 12:41 PM   #1
BearMama29
(female)

BearMama29 HB User
Exclamation Xanax XR & alcohol

Hi...first time here...
I have a meds question...
Iím currently on:
Prozac 20mg/day
lamictal 100mg/day
Xanax XR 0.5mg taken at bedtime

Everything Iíve read says you cannot drink at all on Xanax but being that mine is extended release and a super low dose...can I have the occasional glass of wine?

Anyone have experience with this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2018, 12:50 PM   #2
thinmatches
(male)

thinmatches HB User
Re: Xanax XR & alcohol

Ok, so the problem here is they potentiate each other and are both CNS depressants... meaning if you have too much of either one, you'll stop breathing and not wake up or other not so fun things.

Of course there are reasonable rules and limits that could be maintained for an occasional night of drinking, but that's something I'd talk to your doctor about. Ask him the same question you did here. But even if your doctor does advise you that you should be okay with an occasional beer or glass of wine, never drive with both substances in your system, no matter how far you are below the legal limit. It's a costly ticket waiting to happen.
I'm also on xanax XR and I do occasionally drink, however I know well enough to never tell another benzo user that just because I do, that it's okay for them. If you decide to venture out without getting advice from your doctor, use some common sense. Know you limits and stay far away from them.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #3
ConAx
(male)

ConAx HB User
Re: Xanax XR & alcohol

According to the Mayo Clinic, it is quite rare to suffer a fatal overdose with Xanax alone. When fatalities do occur it's because the individual mixed in another chemical. Alcohol was the first mentioned. Next was heroin with a meth story thrown in. Look, I've been there. I used to experiment with as much as possible until my heart stopped at 25 years of age. If you need to ask on here if it's OK, brother, just move on. I take methylphenidate and was told it's perfectly safe to use Xanax to curb the crash by my doctor and the pharmacist. Make those calls. Alcohol and Xanax has killed. Walk away from that thought.

With sincere concern,
CA

Reply Reply

Tags
alcohol, xanax xr