It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board

• Avoidant personality disorder

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2003, 04:06 AM   #1
    newsgirl

newsgirl HB User
    Question Avoidant personality disorder

Can anyone explain what avoidant personality disorder is? Is this related to social anxiety? Is there meds prescribed for this? What are coping and treatment methods?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2003, 07:44 AM   #2
    Asenath

Asenath HB User
    People with Avoidant Personality Disorder have a chronic fear of interpersonal relationships. The consistently look for excuses NOT to socialize. If a friend forgets to call them, they say "oh well, she's not my friend after all!"

Obviously, people with APD are extremely insecure and angry at the world. Oftentimes, they had an incident in their youth that impacted them tremendously. A rejection of some kind, either from a parental figure or friend. If you've ever seen the movie "Rebel Without a Cause" there is an interesting scene where Natalie Wood kisses her father and her father responds by slapping her and telling her teenage girls don't do that. These kinds of incidents enforce APD behavior.

Any medication that reduces anxiety (effexor, Buspar)may work to some degree, but I dislike psychiatric medicne in general because of side-effects, and the fact that they do not treat the underlying problem. A couple glasses of wine helps a person with APD open up a little, but this can't be done all the time. Psychotherapy is the best route.

Old 02-26-2004, 06:48 PM   #3
    clover777

clover777 HB User
    Re: Avoidant personality disorder

Quote:
    Originally Posted by newsgirl
    Can anyone explain what avoidant personality disorder is? Is this related to social anxiety? Is there meds prescribed for this? What are coping and treatment methods?
    From what I've read avoidant personality disorder is a more extreme form of social anxiety disorder/social phobia, where people avoid practically all contact with people and social relationships.

I've also read that psychotherapy can actually be a bad thing for people with social anxiety, because it makes you focus more on yourself and negative things about yourself. I've experienced this myself. I guess cognitive behavioral therapy is supposed to be better than psychotherapy though.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:15 AM   #4
    Cashodeen
    (female)

Cashodeen HB User

I am curious about this disorder too. I've always thought that social anxiety disorder and avoidant personality disorder couldn't be very related because one is an anxiety disorder and one is a personality disorder.

Old 05-03-2004, 04:26 PM   #5
    CurlyQ 18

CurlyQ 18 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cashodeen
    I am curious about this disorder too. I've always thought that social anxiety disorder and avoidant personality disorder couldn't be very related because one is an anxiety disorder and one is a personality disorder.
    I am not completely sure but when i took my pyschology class isnt anxiety disorder a type of personality disorder so could they not be the same thing?
    I am not entirely sure but its seems like a good guess

Old 05-03-2004, 11:22 PM   #6
    Cashodeen
    (female)

Cashodeen HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CurlyQ 18
    I am not completely sure but when i took my pyschology class isnt anxiety disorder a type of personality disorder so could they not be the same thing?
    I am not entirely sure but its seems like a good guess
    I'm not exactly sure I know what you're saying. Are you asking if an anxiety disorder a type of personality disorder?:

Quote:
    ...isnt anxiety disorder a type of personality disorder...
    Are you asking that? If you are...Anxiety disorders are not a type of personality disorder AT ALL.

Closed Thread