It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board

• What on earth is a personality disorder?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-29-2003, 10:35 PM   #1
    Pootsi
    Veteran

Pootsi HB User
    What on earth is a personality disorder?

How can someone have a personality disorder?
    I didn't know there was a standard personality to go by.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2004, 04:37 AM   #2
    skr
    (female)

skr HB User
    Thumbs up Re: What on earth is a personality disorder?

YEAH!!! Like we are all supposed to conform to a certain personality?? right. I was told i have personality disorder. Heck, thats NORMAL

Old 01-07-2004, 05:08 PM   #3
    Pootsi
    Veteran

Pootsi HB User
    Re: What on earth is a personality disorder?

I know, they always have to put a label on everything to make people feel like they have a brain disease or something.
    There may be learned behavior that can be changed, but a personality disorder.

Old 01-20-2004, 09:53 AM   #4
    mouse62
    Inactive

mouse62 HB User

Sorry I have to disagree. There are many personalities, and many identifiable personality characteristics -- a DISORDER just indicates that one or more of these characteristics has been taken to an unhealthy extreme:

ex. neatness and organization has become obsessive-compulsive thoughts and behavior
    Confidence becomes narcissism
    Shyness becomes a complete inability to interract with others (aviodance)

Old 01-20-2004, 01:16 PM   #5
    Pootsi
    Veteran

Pootsi HB User

If it's called a disorder, it sounds like the person didn't have control over it, and that would mean they couldn't help it when it happened.
    Wouldn't that mean the person didn't have a choice and they can't change it.
    It's like taking the responsibility away from them.
    I just think it's another way for healthcare to make more money.
    Unless we have a real disease, they shouldn't put a label on it.
    It may be a matter of letting your anxieties take over your life, or finding a safe place to be in order not to face a deep seated unresolved issue or a belief of somekind that they have on themselves that the person grew up with.

Poots-

Old 01-26-2004, 02:38 PM   #6
    Pootsi
    Veteran

Pootsi HB User

Exactly what I think.
    I think when there is a choice involved, it's not a disorder.
    Some of us have more sensitivity than others and may take things harder.
    Or could of had more truamatic things happened without appropriate tools given to us by our parents to handle life's ups and downs.
    I believe it is a matter of what direction the person chooses to take with it.
    And also, if people choose to go over the line with their curiousities (knowing how risky it can be, afterall, we are only human), we can get pretty lost, mentally.
    It's a choice.
    I'm not saying someone like that shouldn't be helped, because they obviously need a new direction to be pointed out to them.
    They may have become desensitized with their own behavior.
    Just my belief

Pootsi-

Old 01-28-2004, 06:38 AM   #7
    frosty87
    (female)

frosty87 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pootsi
    If it's called a disorder, it sounds like the person didn't have control over it, and that would mean they couldn't help it when it happened.
    Wouldn't that mean the person didn't have a choice and they can't change it.
    It's like taking the responsibility away from them.
    OMG I really really really hope I am not understanding what you are trying to say.

So an asthmatic or someone with high blood pressure for instance should not seek medical help and/or take medication to help controll their particular disorder either since of course "they didn't have a control over it" either therefor, in your not so humble opinion "can't change it" either.

Old 01-28-2004, 12:12 PM   #8
    Pootsi
    Veteran

Pootsi HB User

Asthma is a sickness, not something you brought up on yourself, same with high or low blood pressure.
    A behavior is a choice.
    If I choose to react before thinking, it was my choice. If I choose to stay secluded from society or not socialize (cuz maybe I feel safe there, having no challenges, no fear, etc) then I choose the consiquences that happen to me from putting myself in that position.
    We're talking about two different things here.

Old 01-28-2004, 01:33 PM   #9
    frosty87
    (female)

frosty87 HB User

Many mental disorders are just a physical and just as unwanted and just as unmanageable without medication as are the medical conditions it is just harder to for people who would rather jump to an easy conclusion then do some actual homework to find out what they are talking about to see it does not mean they are any less real.

With that said I am going to bow out of this conversation. I wish you well. And hope you some day do find out what information you were looking for that brought you here. And hope you have your eyes and heart open so you can see it.

Last edited by frosty87; 01-28-2004 at 01:40 PM.

Old 01-29-2004, 12:52 PM   #10
    mouse62
    Inactive

mouse62 HB User

A personality disorder is not the same as a neurosis or a psychosis.

Among people who have no personality disorder you can find the whole range of non-personality disorder mental illnesses: depression, anxiety & phobias, schizophrania, bi-polar, PSTD, etc.; if you want to include alcoholism/addiction in here, that's ok.

Likewise, many people with personality disorders don't even suffer from any of the above conditions. Usually the reason they end up being identified as a personality disorder (also known as character disorders) is because they have run-ins with the law, or can't hold a job, or can't maintain a marriage, etc.

And of course many people have both -- personality disorders and mental illnesses.

Oh, BTW, no one said that this is something you are just born with -- it could be nature and/or nurture that leads to the disorder; but once it's there, IT'S THERE.

Also, no one said it could not be changed. People with certain disorders respond wonderfully to treatment -- I believe avoidant personality disorder is in that group. Other, such as those with anti-social disorder, are extremely resistant.

Right now there are at least 12 diagnosed personality disorders. If you don't think this even exists, maybe you should do some research and get videos of some real case studies, where you can meet (via video) people with these disorders and learn to recognize them.

Old 01-30-2004, 04:55 PM   #11
    wannabehotguy
    Inactive

wannabehotguy HB User

Signs of Personality disorder: Do you notice people not wanting to be around you.

That is one sign.

take care.

Old 01-31-2004, 04:09 PM   #12
    Pootsi
    Veteran

Pootsi HB User

mouse62,
    Thanks for explaining.
    I do completely believe it exists. That is, people that get lost or off track with themselves like that. That's probably most of us.
    When I first saw the word, it just didn't make sense, calling someones personality a disorder.
    But you explain if well.

Sorry for my ignorance.
    Pootsi-

Old 02-04-2004, 12:27 PM   #13
    marj

marj HB User

Hi Pootsi,

If I had heard this in passing without any context, it would sound strange to hear about "personality disorders." Like mouse explained earlier, these are medical definitions listed in a big book for Psychiatry (DSM-IV R). You are partially correct that these codes were defined so that psychiatrists could bill for treatment. That's really no different than a service station charging for repairs to a computer control panel, because you noticed that only the heater works (and it's the middle of summer!) That part is designed to sense and react, but when it doesn't work right, those in the passenger compartment suffer the consequences. In the car example, since the computer is unable to do a self-diagnostic, it doesn't think anything is wrong.

Personality disorders require quite an extensive work up and must fall under strict criteria. This is not a label to be taken lightly. Few people actually meet the criteria, but many exhibit a great number of signs, and thus they are said to have personality disorder 'traits'. Like you suspected, most people have various combinations of being "Weird", "Wired", or "Wimps" without being particularly pathologic. What psychiatrists and society worries about are those who become dangerous to others or dangerous to themselves. Serial-killers often have anti-social traits, which include high intelligence, charm, and a flagarant disregard for life, which manifests itself as torturing and killing small animals at a young age. Borderlines are people described as hot-cold, love you-hate-you; one moment they can't stand you, the next minute they've slashed their wrists because you broke up with them. If you are interested in the others, I encourage you to read up on them. It's a fascinating field.

Most persons with personality disorders and traits are just annoying to the people around them. Often times, they can't seem to figure out why their life seems so bad or why others treat them differently when the problem is largely self-generated. If they go to therapy, they often get tremendous results and live much happier, productive lives afterward. However, very few ever make it to therapy because of denial ("I'm not the one with the problem...no one else in the world understands my problems," or something to that effect.) Or they find someone else with a compatible personality disorder and become co-dependent, which is REALLY bad.

Sorry to bombard you with all this information. Unfortunately, it was kind of like asking, "Tell me about quantum physics in three sentences or less." By the way, unless they are a mental health or a medical professional, no one should casually throw these terms around.

God Bless,

Marj

Old 02-04-2004, 04:40 PM   #14
    Pootsi
    Veteran

Pootsi HB User

That's very interesting!
    I didn't realize we were that vulnerable to those extremes, unless someone had something really wrong, like from a birth, especially with the serial killer type person.
    Does a personality disorder start from a young age, like from confusion, getting lost with yourself, abuse, or what? How does is happen?
    It is really sad when they don't get help, and have to live the rest of their lives feeling that way, especially knowing that they don't have control if they were put in the right circumstance.
    Thanks for the info. Marj

Pootsi-

Old 02-05-2004, 04:25 AM   #15
    marj

marj HB User

I wish we had a better understanding of these "dis-orders". If you can wade through the medical literature, you'll see that many have tried to find some kind of organic (as in "from an organ") source for these, but it seems to be a combination of nature and nurture. For example, schizophrenics often have a parent who was bipolar, and dependent personalities often grew up with a depressed family member. In the first example, neuroscientists are finding DNA malfunction that correlates with bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. It is more difficult to separate genetics from environment in personality...

I could go on about this, but I think one key to understanding personality disorders -- whether you have to be around someone who you suspect might have those traits or think/have been told you might have one -- is that there are some deep-rooted insecurities that are acting out. A narcissist is actually someone who is terribly unsure of their worth and go out of their way to prove, quite actively and in-your-face, that they deserve your approval. A schizoid is one who has difficulty reconciling their belief in the supernatural and a society they feel disapproves of their eccentricities. That encompassing insecurity is what keeps them from asking for help that may improve their life. The irony is that often times, these people are motivated by their insecurities and become materially "successful", hence they balk at the idea of getting therapy to gain spiritual wealth.

God bless,

Marj

Closed Thread