It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board

• People with personality disorders bully and label others as mentally ill.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-14-2004, 04:38 AM   #1
    penbat
    Inactive

penbat HB User
    People with personality disorders bully and label others as mentally ill.

Psychopath guru Robert Hare said that people with personality disorders (narcissism, psychopathy etc) cause far more damage in this world than people who are mentally ill (schizophrenia, paranoid, psychosis etc) . The one biggest difference between people with a personality disorder and someone who is mentally ill is that a mentally ill person will usually ask for help while a person with a personality disorder will always deny that he has a problem and blame someone else.

A fair number of psychiatrists have personality disorders and they bully and label their patients as mentally ill when really the patients often just have "psychiatric injury" caused by abuse and bullying from others with personality disorders.

See: http://www.bullyeq.com/more_on_psychos.htm

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2004, 02:00 PM   #2
    shorty04
    Inactive

shorty04 HB User
    Re: People with personality disorders bully and label others as mentally ill.

I have borderline/paranoid PD and I don't fell I blame others. hmm.

Old 09-15-2004, 01:14 AM   #3
    penbat
    Inactive

penbat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shorty04
    I have borderline/paranoid PD and I don't fell I blame others. hmm.
    Ok OK I plead ignorance about BPD. Maybe it is not a typical PD. I still think my points are valid. Maybe BPD isn't really a PD.

Old 09-15-2004, 02:21 AM   #4
    Redhead23
    Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

I don't think it's personality disorders per se, but certain personality traits as this seems to happen in a variety of people, whether they have PDs or not.

Certain learning disabilities can also cause skewed perspectives that lead someone to interpret situations totally different to others, often causing the person to feel they did things right and others acted wrongly.

Damage to certain areas of the brain can cause something called anosagnosia, or "disorder-blindness". This can happen with many things, and in someone who has a PD or other problem, and who has anosagnosia, a lot of what others do and say (for example when others try to help them because they struggle with something) may seem totally irrational because the person genuinely thinks they are healthy and everyone else is "abnormal".

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 09-15-2004, 04:17 AM   #5
    penbat
    Inactive

penbat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Redhead23
    I don't think it's personality disorders per se, but certain personality traits as this seems to happen in a variety of people, whether they have PDs or not.

Certain learning disabilities can also cause skewed perspectives that lead someone to interpret situations totally different to others, often causing the person to feel they did things right and others acted wrongly.

Damage to certain areas of the brain can cause something called anosagnosia, or "disorder-blindness". This can happen with many things, and in someone who has a PD or other problem, and who has anosagnosia, a lot of what others do and say (for example when others try to help them because they struggle with something) may seem totally irrational because the person genuinely thinks they are healthy and everyone else is "abnormal".
    Certainly in the case of psychopaths, specific abnormal physical brain structures (the amygdala for example) causing faulty brain wiring has long been observed and researched used MRI scanners. I liken this in some respects to color blindness - you are just born color blind and there is nothing that can be done about it.

Old 09-15-2004, 08:11 AM   #6
    PAmermaids
    Inactive

PAmermaids HB User

i think you are right about the BPD being in denial, i would think form my experience that once you do realize you have it, you change cuz you see the things you are doing and thinking from other ppls point of view. i feel like no one would want to act that once they relized they were doing it (that way meaning how i acted- paranoid that everyone was against me when, wondering why people would abandon me, when i was in reality pushing them away) and also i think my mom has BPD in the way that she see's a situation sort of skewed, but can't understand why ppl don't see it her way, like it is their problem not hers, its very hard to explain, i wouldn't say blame exactly, but it certainly could come to play in a blame situation. it's hard fo rme to explain, sorry, just my pov. its an interesting subject for me anyhow

Old 09-15-2004, 08:38 AM   #7
    penbat
    Inactive

penbat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PAmermaids
    i think you are right about the BPD being in denial, i would think form my experience that once you do realize you have it, you change cuz you see the things you are doing and thinking from other ppls point of view. i feel like no one would want to act that once they relized they were doing it (that way meaning how i acted- paranoid that everyone was against me when, wondering why people would abandon me, when i was in reality pushing them away) and also i think my mom has BPD in the way that she see's a situation sort of skewed, but can't understand why ppl don't see it her way, like it is their problem not hers, its very hard to explain, i wouldn't say blame exactly, but it certainly could come to play in a blame situation. it's hard fo rme to explain, sorry, just my pov. its an interesting subject for me anyhow
    My understanding is that she is projecting all her problems onto other people and making out that they are all their problems not hers. Some people can see through the crap and some get taken in by it unconsciously.

Old 09-16-2004, 02:22 AM   #8
    Redhead23
    Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PAmermaids
    i think you are right about the BPD being in denial, i would think form my experience that once you do realize you have it, you change cuz you see the things you are doing and thinking from other ppls point of view.
    That is fantastic for people who do this, but again there are many who either ignore their diagnosis, use it as an excuse or are simply incapable of viewing things from others PoVs.

It's a very commendable personality trait to be so insightful and willing to adapt through the knowledge of having a disorder, but sadly not everyone with a specific disorder is either willing or able to do so.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Closed Thread