It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board

• How do you define personality disorder?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2005, 10:03 PM   #1
    Pootsi
    Veteran

Pootsi HB User
    How do you define personality disorder?

Can you develop a "personality disorder" when you've been raised spoiled rotten without having to suffer any consiquences for wrong doings, not being held responsible, given anything you want even if the family suffers, being allowed to behave almost anyway you want ever since you were little like running around stores all wild without punishment and stuff like that?
    Do you think that would make it hard to live in the world as an adult?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2005, 12:59 PM   #2
    greenachres
    (female)

greenachres HB User
    Re: How do you define personality disorder?

This is a late answer...as i just looked in on you....I certainly think so,why do you ask ?At least it can contribute to your personality in a negative way and make it hard for the person to make adjustments as they become older and their way of looking at the world is very much focused towards taking taking taking....which damages their social relationships,causes extreme anger,jealousy....later on,self-hate,self-harm,etc....etc

Old 05-21-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
    Pootsi
    Veteran

Pootsi HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenachres
    This is a late answer...as i just looked in on you....I certainly think so,why do you ask ?At least it can contribute to your personality in a negative way and make it hard for the person to make adjustments as they become older and their way of looking at the world is very much focused towards taking taking taking....which damages their social relationships,causes extreme anger,jealousy....later on,self-hate,self-harm,etc....etc
    I think so to. I watch the show Starting Over about 5 woman that come in a house with two life coaches and a psychotherapist and they work with each woman with their particular issues by giving them different tasks and assignments to help them. On the S.O. websight we've been arguing about whether if this one lady had a personality disorder. The lady that I felt had a personality disorder just couldn't be helped, she didn't get any of it and needed more help than a "life coach" can give her. The psychotherapist couldn't spend enough time with her to help her.
    I really wasn't sure if a personality disorder is there from birth or if it can develop from how you were raised.
    Thanks for your response!

Old 05-21-2005, 06:34 PM   #4
    greenachres
    (female)

greenachres HB User

hi,me again...well,only from experience and also people I know,I honestly can`t say..lol...a friend of mine who has a child who is now 40ish,was a great parent,fair and just...and that child (adult )now is still destructive in many many ways.....my own child...adult too now ,has been diagnosed with pers.disorder and yup,I was`nt a strong mum (did`nt know how to be )...but she was born wilful...she is my first born,but then there is a history of mental disease in the family...we are all working on helping her,but it is terribly hard for her to recognize it in herself,and when she does ,she becomes very depressed,...it is a juggling act....we have to give her a lot of hard love.....just to mention,we have ADHD, aspergers,OCD,tourettes syndrome,irritable bowel syndrome,plus some other annoying stuff...AND i am going through menopause......my daughters personality disorder is the hardest to handle but,as we love her dearly,and it is so debilitating in way of what she is capable of doing.....it gets in the way of a lot of positive things

Closed Thread