It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board

• Passive Aggressive Personality Disorder

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2005, 09:43 PM   #1
    Sheri198
    (female)

Sheri198 HB User
    Passive Aggressive Personality Disorder

I recently was diagnosed with passive aggressive personality disorder. My doctor only told be limited information. does anyone know anything about this disorder?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2005, 01:31 PM   #2
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
    Re: Passive Aggressive Personality Disorder

This is a new one for me- I can't say that I've ever read about this in the DSM-IV! By the name, I assume that it means that you let anger build up inside you, and don't let it out until it becomes too much, and then you'll explode with rage, but I'd check this guy's credentials- this doesn't sound like a ligitimate diagnosis...
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 08-29-2005, 07:31 PM   #3
    makome
    (male)

makome HB User

I have done some extensive reading over the last few days and everything I've read points to the fact that I have passive-aggressive personality disorder. Both at work and at home I have all the classic symptoms, e.g. procrastination, confrontation avoidance, undermining myself and others, afraid of intimacy, etc. Now that I believe I know what the heck is wrong does anyone have any thoughts, tips or exercises that might help me improve or reduce my passive-aggressiveness? I know I need professional help and I will definitely seek it out, but was wondering if there are some self-help techniques that anyone is aware of?
    Peace,
    Mak

Old 09-07-2005, 06:05 AM   #4
    angelblue65
    (female)

angelblue65 HB User

Marew-I just checked out the website you listed and OMG - it described my exBF (just recently ex) to a T and even more eerie, the female caught in this type of relationship described me as well. Very good information - thank you for sharing!

What confuses me more each day is how do you tell the difference between this (passive agressive), BPD, and symptoms of PTSD? There are so many similarities - just when I think "oh, that's what I was seeing in my BF, I read something else and that seems to fit too. Or is it that once you have one (a childhood trauma) you develop more than one thing.

Gatsbylvr, Marew, anyone?...........I'm very curious about this

Old 10-09-2005, 05:32 PM   #5
    joygrisham
    (female)

joygrisham HB User

My (very recently) exboyfriend displays traits of a commitmentphobic. But now, as I am reading the traits of a passive-aggressive, I realize he fits this to a *T*, too. Can someone list the major differences between these two disorders.

Is there a comprehensive list of passive-aggressive traits that I can see.

Thank you.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:37 PM   #6
    blindsided
    Inactive
    (female)

blindsided HB User

There are many websites out there that have information on the subject of Passive Aggressive personality traits. It is not considered a personality disorder...at one time it might have been, but not anymore. Some sites say that Passive Agressiveness is a disorder, but the sites that have qualified professionals providing insight say that it is not a disorder.

Here is one list of characteristics I found:
    procrastination
    argumentativeness
    dilatoriness at work
    querulousness
    obstructionistic behavior
    scornful of authority
    resentful of suggestions
    "forgets" obligations
    unaware of being incompetent

One thing that I found is that the symptoms are very similar to ADHD. It is important to understand both and compare.

Last edited by blindsided; 11-09-2005 at 02:45 PM.

Old 12-11-2005, 10:51 AM   #7
    MissHelen
    (female)

MissHelen HB User

I'm married to someone who I was told has this passive-agressive behavior. If you ask him to do something he agrees and never does it. He gets in trouble with the law and never goes to court. He's in jail now and I'm hoping he gets some more time when he goes to court (they'll make him go} I need more time to find a place without him. The passive agressiveness is when he just doesn't do what he needs to. He won't argue, he just doesn't do anything. This is my interpretation of what was explained to me 15 years ago

Old 01-04-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
    wannabehotguy
    Inactive

wannabehotguy HB User

Most dysfuctional men are passive aggressive. Often it is termed passive aggressive narcissist. These people are incapable of thinking about anything but their selfish needs and their selves. They are not capable of expressing rage or anger in a functional fashion. They withhold affection, blame others by sulking and not communicating, and most of all they are dishonest about everything from basic feelings to apologies. The passive aggressive person's problems are almost incurable. They learned their behavior from modeling. They simply repeated the same dysfunctional and inappropriate behaviors of their parents and care givers. Of course not realizing that they are hurting other people and preventing themselves from experiencing a joyful life. These people are emotionally 4 years old and often act depressed and lie. They can be charming and they will hide every so-called negative feeling especially ANGER from you. Impossible to deal with and I would screen all people who you percieve as passive aggressive and never talk to them again if you find out they are.

Closed Thread