It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board

• minor avoidant personality disorder?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #1
    pgs8113
    (male)

pgs8113 HB User
    minor avoidant personality disorder?

Hello,

I would like some advice

I find the workplace (or maybe mine in general) to be very similar to high school, you have groups of people that hang out and get coffee, etc.. and then people who choose to be on the sidelines (a.k.a, me). If you don't socialize, then you are talked about behind your back, etc. It's childish, really.

I personally don't care about making friends, I want to go to work and do a good job at it. I don't want to mix work with pleasure. I am not social and do not like being social (never have and never will). So when people ask me to go out for lunch, etc., I usually say no thanks. This is in turn makes co-workers think I am anti-social and they ask me what is wrong (and probably talk about me behind my back)...oh well. I always feel weird afterwards because I kind of wish I was more social, but I just don't like it. If I socialize I get very uncomfortable, nervous and I CAN tolerate it, but I am glad when it is all done.

The same applies to meetings, etc. I go if I have to, but avoid meetings if possible. I hate being in a small room with a lot of people. The same applies to training courses for work: I go if I have to, but try to avoid them.

So I guess my question is this, do I have some personality disorder, am I a weirdo for not wanting to socialize at work, etc.? am I a hermit?

Thanks,

****pedia states:
    A mnemonic that can be used to remember the criteria for avoidant personality disorder is AVOIDER.

A – Avoids occupational activities
    V – Views self as socially inept
    O – Occupied with being criticized or rejected
    I – Inhibited in new interpersonal situations
    D – Declines to get involved with people
    E – Embarrassed by engaging in new activities
    R – Refrains from intimate relationships

Last edited by pgs8113; 02-24-2007 at 01:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2007, 03:01 AM   #2
    prier
    (male)

prier HB User
    Re: minor avoidant personality disorder?

From what i know of APD, sounds just like it.

I suffer from this also, i've booked myself in to see a therapist, but am curious as too what i'm in for. If anyone has seen a therapist about this disorder what techniques have they given you to get over it?

Old 03-07-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
    dazzlediamond
    (female)

dazzlediamond HB User

I am the same way, sometimes wish I wasn't though. Very nervous/uncomfortable in social situations. Do not like unwanted attention. I can be social, but feel most comfortable just being with family and very few others. I have the attitude that work is to work as well....with a bit of socializing maybe during that time. Don't have a strong urge to get involved in groups.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
    sweet_tiff4prez
    Inactive
    (female)

sweet_tiff4prez HB User

Honestly to me that doesnt sound like avoidant personality disorder. it sounds like [url]http://en.****pedia.org/****/Schizoid_personality_disorder[/url] more than anything. But some personality disorders can overlap with each other. You can have two or more personality disorders.

Closed Thread