It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board

• Borderline-Narcissistic Comorbidity

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2007, 04:23 PM   #1
    EchoNayana
    (female)

EchoNayana HB User
    Borderline-Narcissistic Comorbidity

This is my first post here. I'm 18 years old and in college. I have been diagnosied with Borderline Personality Disorder with Narcissistic Personality Traits. I was wondering if it is common for these two disorders to be comorbid (coexist)? I believe I am a compensitory Narcissist which means my ********** comes from insecurity and weakness not by true self confidence. Can someone have two personality disorders? I know that Bipolar and BPD can coexist but what about 2 personality disorders? Your imput would be appreciated. I would give you my symptoms but you all probably know the symptoms of borderline PD and Narcissistic PD.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
    strongernow
    Inactive
    (male)

strongernow HB User
    Re: Borderline-Narcissistic Comorbidity

Yes they can coexist. I think, from what I've read in psychological articles that most people with personality disorders have traits of more than just one personality disorder.

Are you one of those people who talks on and on about yourself. You boss people around. Make people feel bad about themselves.
    Just curious...like why and what is the reason for that?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EchoNayana View Post
    This is my first post here. I'm 18 years old and in college. I have been diagnosied with Borderline Personality Disorder with Narcissistic Personality Traits. I was wondering if it is common for these two disorders to be comorbid (coexist)? I believe I am a compensitory Narcissist which means my ********** comes from insecurity and weakness not by true self confidence. Can someone have two personality disorders? I know that Bipolar and BPD can coexist but what about 2 personality disorders? Your imput would be appreciated. I would give you my symptoms but you all probably know the symptoms of borderline PD and Narcissistic PD.

Last edited by strongernow; 04-03-2007 at 08:35 PM.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #3
    EchoNayana
    (female)

EchoNayana HB User

Thank you for your reply. I do talk about myself because supposedly I need "narcissistic supply" It just makes me feel good when the center is on me. If that at all makes any ssense. But the thing that is getting me is that Borderlines self harm (I did last night) and narcissists do not. Yet they can get suicidal with prologed stress. I am a psych major so I love studying this stuff. The whole suicide ideation thing is getting me though. If you ever get the chance read the book Malignant Self Love is you are interested in psychology and/or **********. I could relate to this book a lot. I had 6 out of the 9 critera for NPD (5 is needed to make a diagnosis). Borderline- I had 8/9 out of the critera. But I'm still young and maybe my personality will develope into something more positive. As far as making others feel bad, I don't realize I'm doing that. It is just habit. I guess if it benefits me I don't really care. Anyway thanks again for your reply.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
    strongernow
    Inactive
    (male)

strongernow HB User

That is cool. What do you mean by "I guess if it benefits me I don't really care"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EchoNayana View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I do talk about myself because supposedly I need "narcissistic supply" It just makes me feel good when the center is on me. If that at all makes any ssense. But the thing that is getting me is that Borderlines self harm (I did last night) and narcissists do not. Yet they can get suicidal with prologed stress. I am a psych major so I love studying this stuff. The whole suicide ideation thing is getting me though. If you ever get the chance read the book Malignant Self Love is you are interested in psychology and/or **********. I could relate to this book a lot. I had 6 out of the 9 critera for NPD (5 is needed to make a diagnosis). Borderline- I had 8/9 out of the critera. But I'm still young and maybe my personality will develope into something more positive. As far as making others feel bad, I don't realize I'm doing that. It is just habit. I guess if it benefits me I don't really care. Anyway thanks again for your reply.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
    SwimmerGirl12
    (female)

SwimmerGirl12 HB User

As you study psych you will realize that no disorder is cut and dry. You will find that MOST people with personality disorders have bits and pieces of more than one kind. Just b/c people with NPD don't cut doesn't mean they all don't cut. You have to think of mental illness on a spectrum.

Closed Thread