It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board

• Sociopath...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2007, 08:45 PM   #1
    Patryn
    (female)

Patryn HB User
    Sociopath...

Okay... I don't really know how to start this. So I guess I start when I first went into treatment. I was 6 years old... so that would be 83. I was diagnosed as ADD, I continued therapy and nothing ever changed not even with the massive amounts of medication that were prescribed to me. At 12 I was put into a psych unit, same thing... only they added a diagnosis of ODD to the ADD. From there my behavior escalated into grand theft auto, breaking and entering and theft of moveable property. The courts mandated therapy, which I was already in, by the time I was 15. I was assigned a new doctor who added that not only was I ADD and ODD but that I also had a borderline personality disorder. By this time I was taking so many meds that I couldn't keep up and function at all so I started tonguing ad trashing them so that I could live. I was using drugs, lots of illegal drugs so that I fit in somewhere. By 20 I had been locked up in jail for fraud, by 23 identity theft, and by 25 for multiple other things. But at 23 I was diagnosed as Bipolar and Schitzoaffective. Now at 30 I will be going to jail again soon I believe for criminal activity and drug abuse. I can't seem to stay out of trouble and I jut got a new diagnosis from my court appointed psych center... I am listed now as a sociopath. I am confused by this. I admit that I don't have sympathy or empathy or any of that, I lie and use everyone that I can and I don't ever feel bad for it. I feel that I deserve to get whatever I can by whatever means possible, even if that means prostituting myself. But does this sound sociopathic? I am looking into information about this disorder, and I see that women are not generally bothered by this disorder... and I am a woman. I am charming and everything that men need me to be, heck I am everything that everyone needs me to be. But my family sees through me. I don't like this. But does this mean that I am a sociopath. I can not find the info that I want... or need. Is there a book out there that I can get that will tell me what it is and how it is treated? Because now that I have been diagnosed sociopathic, my doctor removed all meds and has changed my appts from monthly to every other month and to me it seems they have given up! Is there anyone that knows if there is treatment or am I completely hopeless?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2007, 02:33 AM   #2
    Laylah
    Inactive
    (female)

Laylah HB User
    Re: Sociopath...

There is practically limitless information you can source on the internet regarding this and every other ailment imaginable, so I'd encourage you to simply type the word 'sociopath' into a search engine and you'll have more information than you could ever read in your lifetime. Also perhaps go to the library and I'm sure you'd find material in the mental health section if you'd prefer to read from books. If there’s nothing on sociopathy in particular you can always order it in. As to the actual diagnosis though, why would you be in such a hurry to assume this diagnosis is correct if all those that have gone before haven’t? I wouldn’t be so quick to accept this diagnosis if I were you; as there doesn’t seem to be much evidence to support it.

Also, I'd like you to have another read of this line you wrote:

"I feel that I deserve to get whatever I can by whatever means possible, even if that means prostituting myself. But does this sound sociopathic?"

I don’t have extensive knowledge about sociopathic tendencies, but enough to be relatively confident that this wouldn’t be a typical socipathic attitude and it wouldnt be a likely indication of sociopathy in a person. A sociopaths general behaviour would learn towards an inclination to put others through hardship in order to achieve their aims, not themselves; and a willingness to enter prostitution is a willingness to self-harm on a mental, emotional and psychological level and also to put oneself at great physical risk.

This of course does not mean that you are not in fact suffering from this mental disorder; just that this attitude is neither typical nor an indication of it. Maybe you could source some psychoanalysis outside of the professionals you have been working with up to now and get a second opinion on this?

Last edited by Laylah; 08-13-2007 at 02:35 AM. Reason: misspelling

Old 08-13-2007, 06:15 AM   #3
    rosequartz
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

you sound like a sociopath and also a narrrrcissist.
    there is a good book called "the sociopath next door", and a book on narrrrcissism called "malignant self-love".
    lack of empathy is a trait of both.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
    desperate1
    (female)

desperate1 HB User

I have an admittedly perhaps naive response/question that perhaps folks could comment on:

Doesn't the following question asked by Patryn imply a "want" to be treated and change, and therefore a tiny step toward empathy/sympathy?

"Is there anyone that knows if there is treatment or am I completely hopeless?"

I'm no expert, so I'm open to opinions that I'm way off base here.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
    akazie
    (female)

akazie HB User

From my limited understanding of Antisocial personality disorder (aka sociopath) is that there is no known medication that helps , that is probably why your doctor has taken you off your meds but there is Psychotherapy that might be helpful to you. Good luck and keep us updated with your process

Closed Thread