It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Personality Disorder Message Board

• BPD And Me ...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-24-2009, 06:06 AM   #1
    Hemels
    (female)

Hemels HB User
    BPD And Me ...

Hi Guys,

I was diagnosed with C-PTSD in February this year. After reading up and learning alot about this condition I soon realised that this wasn't the full story. 5 weeks ago I fell very ill and ended up being sent to the hospital where I saw a Clinical Psychiatrist. He diagnosed me with Borderline Personality Disorder with C-PTSD and placed me on new medication.

I have found it very hard to live with this for months and months. My doctor says that from looking at my medical records I have lived with this since I was 12 and due to mis-diagnoses from my previous doctors has been left untreated and thus has gotten out of control.

I am frightened that this condition is going to come between me and my current boyfriend. He says he understands and can deal with it but he seems to come accross to me as upset, distraught and somewhat conserned. Me and my boyfriend go way back to us being 15, we have been best friends for 10 years before we got together and nearly 2 years ago he rescued me from my abusive boyfriend (I was with at that time and had been for 8 years) I was informed that people with BPD find it hard to have personel relationships - Is my relationship with my boyfriend doomed? How can I make him see and understand this condition better? Does anyone else have any issues with their partners?

Any advice would be great guys thanks

-------------------------------
    Borderline Personaility Disorder with Complex PTSD.
    Meds
    - Citalopram - 20mg
    - Seroquel - 100mg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
    Sunka
    (female)

Sunka HB User
    Re: BPD And Me ...

Hi....I would think that if your current boyfriend has known you for years then he is aware of how you are and can deal with it. That doesn't mean he has to be happy & chipper all the time, he is human too, so if he is having a bad day don't assume it's because of you - although it may FEEL like it is. Usually the trouble with relationships comes with a brand-new relationship because the people involved are just getting to know each other and that's hard for a personality-disorder person to deal with; it feels like you have to be nice to get someone to like you or be with you and with PD that's not always possible, you will have bad days. And adding PTSD to the mix is hard too, you always have echoes of the past. I don't know what the C part of C-PTSD is, is it "chronic"????
    Just keep coming to the message boards here and you will find a community that understands how you feel because we feel that way too. You won't always get a speedy reply but just know there's people out there for you. I just happen to be having a good day and can respond...a few days ago I was a mess!! Luckily I got a good BF who can understand my rapid ups & downs & sideways moods.
    Keep in close touch with your doctor!!
    Have a good day...!!!!! See you again soon!!

Old 11-28-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
    reg12
    Veteran
    (male)

reg12 HB User

Hello Hemels,
    Actually the symptoms of both C-PSTD and BPD due to childhood abuse can be very close. These seem to be very difficult for a lot of Ts and PDOCs to figure out. I have found quite a few of them do not have experiance with dissociative issues, so they call it PTSD. Therapy should have been similar for both.

About your boyfriend, first you need to understand. Then I have found some real good information on the internet. I have one article that was made specifically for the spouse of a person with these kinds of issues. It explains it in a way that a guy can understand what is happening. Feel free to ask questions. People on here help each other as you know.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:18 AM   #4
    Hemels
    (female)

Hemels HB User

Hi Guys,

Thank you for the replies

Sunka, I understand where you are coming from with your advice. I know my partner has off days too but like you said even if I acknowledge that my partner is having a bad day my PD doesn't just stop and make me not take things to heart. As for your question - C-PTSD is Complex Post Tramatic Stress Disorder. It is the way the defrinciate between those that have PTSD from one single event and those that have it due to a series of different events over a given time.

reg12, Yes I was informed that therapy is the same for both conditions. Despite this I wanted to know the full story of what was going on with me not just half. Thats why I carried on digging. I would be greatful if you could forward me some ways of finding the information you are speaking about as I have searched and searched till i'm blue in the face and yet come out with nothing.

Borderline Personaility Disorder with Complex PTSD.
    Meds
    - Citalopram - 20mg
    - Seroquel - 100mg

Old 12-02-2009, 08:19 AM   #5
    reg12
    Veteran
    (male)

reg12 HB User

I know what you mean about looking. It is a maze out there when you are dealing with some of these subjects. I have been trying to find answers also. I think because you are dealing with a very general area, then it makes it hard to write an effective article about a very specific event that happened. Also when dealing with the way an individual's mind processes information, the subject is too variable. However there are certain patterns that do seem to be in common. I have found a few lines here and a paragraph there that work with my problems, so you just have to keep searching. Now as far as the Ts go, ask for assistance. You are going to them for help. Take care

Old 12-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #6
    trg247
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I have the same diagnosis plus a couple more thrown in for good measure and through my experience the two (bpd & ptsd) tend to feed off of each other but at the same time are two separate disorders and needed to be treated as such. In my BPD retraining I have learned how to stay in the present moment and basically scan any though that goes through my head to make sure it is appropriate for the conversation and not trying to fill the false self image ego, needless to say this has taken a long time to get this far. The PTSD end is involved for a number of reasons/experiences that ended up creating my BPD enviroment are heavily linked. At the time the BPD was used as a safety net for what was happening in my life by becoming this "person" that everyone wanted me to be in order to stay safe or at least safer. Now that I am in treatment the therapists have chosen to get me to live more in today and what is happening at the moment instead of using the past to dictate the future. That being said their plan is to deal with my past when I am in a better place mentally and have more of a control of my state of my mind.

As for the BPD affecting your relationship. you have been with this person for a long time and for a long time you were BPD just missing the diagnosis. When my friends and family start acting weird when they find out I am BPD my answer is I was BPD ten years ago and no one seemed to mind. take care
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
    Pristiq
    Cymbalta
    Seroquel
    Temazapam

Old 01-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
    Ellie may
    (female)

Ellie may HB User

Hi I too have BPD and it is hard to deal with since it feels like it is everyone else who has a problem. Our perception is off and we are very sensitive to rejection. Its hard.

I was diagnosed with C-PTSD in February this year. After reading up and learning alot about this condition I soon realised that this wasn't the full story. 5 weeks ago I fell very ill and ended up being sent to the hospital where I saw a Clinical Psychiatrist. He diagnosed me with Borderline Personality Disorder with C-PTSD and placed me on new medication.

I have found it very hard to live with this for months and months. My doctor says that from looking at my medical records I have lived with this since I was 12 and due to mis-diagnoses from my previous doctors has been left untreated and thus has gotten out of control.

I am frightened that this condition is going to come between me and my current boyfriend. He says he understands and can deal with it but he seems to come accross to me as upset, distraught and somewhat conserned. Me and my boyfriend go way back to us being 15, we have been best friends for 10 years before we got together and nearly 2 years ago he rescued me from my abusive boyfriend (I was with at that time and had been for 8 years) I was informed that people with BPD find it hard to have personel relationships - Is my relationship with my boyfriend doomed? How can I make him see and understand this condition better? Does anyone else have any issues with their partners?

Any advice would be great guys thanks [/QUOTE]

Old 02-10-2010, 08:57 AM   #8
    AmVan
    (female)

AmVan HB User

Hi, I was DXed with BPD too. I also get depersonalization and derealization with it. I'm in a good theraphy call Dialectic Behavioral Therahy (DBT). It's similar to cognative thraphy, and it's been SO helpful to me. There's work involved but with the therapist's help it's pretty easy to get through. It sort of meshes in with who you are and becomes a natural part of your life. I believe it's a fairly new treament. You might want to look into it.

I'm also reading a book that could have been written for me. (Makes me really mad at times). It's call "Lost In The Mirror" It's an easy read. You might look into that too. I knew very little about it until I started this book. I was only DXed about a year ago.

Don't worry about your boyfriend. My husband tells me it's only a dx and that hasn't changed who I am. Best of luck.

AmVan - BPD, schizoaffective, dissociative disorders. Meds - Geodon, Prozac, lamictal

Old 03-02-2010, 11:38 PM   #9
    Indianmist
    (female)

Indianmist HB UserIndianmist HB User

My best friend and I both suffer from BPD. Yes you can have long lasting relationships with this disorder. I've been married for 12 years, but my husband and I have been together for 13 years. Though, my best friend is having a rough time of it in her relationship at the moment.

It's not easy and many times I have threatened divorce, but the key to managing this disorder is to learn ways to control it, and not let it control you. It takes time, and lots of therapy, but it can be done. The BDP is just a small part of who you are, but it's not the total sum of who you are.

Closed Thread