It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board

• Dental Phobia

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #1
    SFGirl86
    (female)

SFGirl86 HB User
    Dental Phobia

Hi all.

I'm really struggling right now with dental problems. It seems like it's one thing after another with my teeth.

I have a really severe dental phobia. I've had it for years, but it's gotten worse over time. Every visit to the dentist makes my fear and phobia worse. I've gotten to the point that even having tooth pain or thinking about a dental appointment will make me feel physically ill.

I've had a lot of dental work done in my life. Most recently had to get a root canal on a molar that was really hurting me. To make matters worse, it took my dentist and the endodontist 8 months, to figure out what was going on to treat me properly. I went back to both of them repeatedly and they couldn't find anything wrong until a couple of weeks ago. I finally got the root canal done, but this whole situation has made my phobia worse.

I'm also dealing with adult braces and TMJ problems. Any dental work is very difficult for me due to the anxiety, fear and TMJ pain. I'm also getting increasingly harder to numb for dental work.

I finally convinced myself to try a sedation dentist. I'm really shaken in the faith of my current dentist and doubt that I'll go back to him. This new sedation dentist offers Nitrous Oxide. I have mixed feelings about it, but it sounds like the best way to help me with this problem at present.

I know I have a bunch of dental work that needs to be done, so the nitrous oxide seems like it'll help with my anxiety and phobia during the appointments and work.

This whole thing has gotten really bad now. I don't even want to go to a dentist ever again, but I know I need the work done.

Any advice or comments regarding dental phobia/anxiety and nitrous oxide would be great.

Thanks.

JJ

Last edited by SFGirl86; 07-05-2015 at 09:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #2
    Shirob
    (female)

Shirob HB User
    Re: Dental Phobia

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SFGirl86 View Post
    Hi all.

I'm really struggling right now with dental problems. It seems like it's one thing after another with my teeth.

I have a really severe dental phobia. I've had it for years, but it's gotten worse over time. Every visit to the dentist makes my fear and phobia worse. I've gotten to the point that even having tooth pain or thinking about a dental appointment will make me feel physically ill.

I've had a lot of dental work done in my life. Most recently had to get a root canal on a molar that was really hurting me. To make matters worse, it took my dentist and the endodontist 8 months, to figure out what was going on to treat me properly. I went back to both of them repeatedly and they couldn't find anything wrong until a couple of weeks ago. I finally got the root canal done, but this whole situation has made my phobia worse.

I'm also dealing with adult braces and TMJ problems. Any dental work is very difficult for me due to the anxiety, fear and TMJ pain. I'm also getting increasingly harder to numb for dental work.

I finally convinced myself to try a sedation dentist. I'm really shaken in the faith of my current dentist and doubt that I'll go back to him. This new sedation dentist offers Nitrous Oxide. I have mixed feelings about it, but it sounds like the best way to help me with this problem at present.

I know I have a bunch of dental work that needs to be done, so the nitrous oxide seems like it'll help with my anxiety and phobia during the appointments and work.

This whole thing has gotten really bad now. I don't even want to go to a dentist ever again, but I know I need the work done.

Any advice or comments regarding dental phobia/anxiety and nitrous oxide would be great.

Thanks.

JJ

Awwwwww! I feel your phobia! I am terrified of hospitals period! Anything that is associated with hospitals am terrified! I just had a toothache! Good Lord that thing hurt like hell! I was crying like a baby! But i took some garlic and just like that the pain is gone! But my auntie told me about oil pulling with coconut oil! Its really good! I started doing that and now my teeth are getting better! And plus i pray alot and read the bible so i quote scriptures! Phobias will make u do things that u never dreamed of doing

The Following User Says Thank You to Shirob For This Useful Post:
    SFGirl86 (04-05-2016)
    Old 03-16-2016, 03:28 AM   #3
    JhonWright
    (male)

JhonWright HB User
    Re: Dental Phobia

I know exactly how this feel, i am scared of the dentist as well. I didnt go for 15 years coz the thought of it made me feel sick, when i was a child the dentist my family used was nicknamed Jas, you can imagine how lovely he was. Eventually i had to go coz i didnt want my kids to have the same fear as me and i was lucky that i had a sympathetic dentist and although, it took years, i can now go to the dentist without throwing up. Now I would recommend anyone who feels nervous to pay Jas and the team a visit and like me you will feel and look great as a result

The Following User Says Thank You to JhonWright For This Useful Post:
    SFGirl86 (04-05-2016)
    Reply Reply