It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board

Strategies for Coping With Fear of Poison?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #1
mit
(male)

mit HB User
Strategies for Coping With Fear of Poison?

My 9 year has had major issues with eating. It's always been a struggle to go out to dinner as a family and she's extremely picky of what she'll eat. Even things that she has eaten before, she'll decline eating it other times and often would opt to not eat which leads to mood swings.

I pushed her a bit more recently since we were not going to be going home any time soon and I knew she had not eaten anything all day. In tears she finally broke down and said she was afraid someone was going to poison her. Bam... now with this bombshell, I was able to retroactively understand the behavior all along. I asked where she got the idea and she said from a movie she had watched maybe a year or two ago. Six Sense - movie where the step mom poisons the girl. Yes, she was too young to watch that but at the time she was big into plot twists and I thought about the ending more than bits that might have affected her.

So now what. I told her that she's older now and can process the information better. The girl in the movie is an actress and is alive and well. There's small risks that everyone takes every day and the statistics of this one is probably less than being bitten by a shark in your car.... or something along those lines.

What are some other words of encouragement, insights, or other things that may help her put this fear into perspective and leave it in her past? If you've conquered a fear, what was something that helped you internalize to yourself "hunh... when you put it that way... it does seem like something I shouldn't worry about".

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply