It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Phobias Message Board

• Immunizations for child with needle phobia

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2014, 11:28 PM   #1
    MissPoss
    (female)

MissPoss HB User
    Immunizations for child with needle phobia

Hi all,

I'm after some advice. My teenage daughter has a phobia of needles. She is due for immunisations, and I very much want her to be immunised, but I honestly don't know how we're going to do it.

They tried to give her her shot at school, but had to call me as she had a panic attack and was held down by several people so she didn't run. I took her to the local clinic the next day, and she sat in the room, waited patiently, asked lots of questions...and then come needle time, she panicked again. I was trying to hold and soothe her, and the nurses tried several times to give her the shot, but it got to the point where it was dangerous. There was a risk of someone else being jabbed, and the needle breaking. She's quite a strong girl, and taller than me, there's no way I'm going to be able to do this by force, and really, I don't want to. She knows logically it won't hurt that much, but the phobia gets the better of her in the moment, and there's no way we can get it to happen.

Any advice on what I should do? Whether it be her immunisations or something else, she is going to have to have a needle at some point.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2014, 05:38 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Immunizations for child with needle phobia

Give her a tranquilizer. Surprised they haven't suggested it already. Very common. I know several people who have various things like this and have to be "calmed" this way. One even can't get her teeth cleaned nor her vision checked without it.

You might also consider taking her to a psychologist who can work with her on this. There are visualization techniques to help with it. I did it in order to take a swimming class (terrified of the water) and to drive over a bridge I knew I had to go over (scared of certain ones of them too).

Last edited by Titchou; 03-07-2014 at 05:41 AM.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:49 AM   #3
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Yes I was going to suggest the same thing. My hubby has the same issue so we have a script fir he takes it at the drs ofc (cuz you don't know how long you have to wait.). Cathy

Old 03-07-2014, 05:27 PM   #4
    Penguinboy55
    (male)

Penguinboy55 HB User

Maybe the doctors should give her a mild sedation like lorazepam or Xanax. Those medications have a calming sedating effect and are usually safe. I have been on both for 2 months now due to my panic attacks and phobias.

Closed Thread