It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pituitary Disease Message Board

• How does cortisol relates to ACTH?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 03-31-2016, 11:34 AM   #1
    BAWEBER
    (female)

BAWEBER HB User
    How does cortisol relates to ACTH?

Hi, new here. Just a quick question. I'm suspecting a Pituitary Adenoma. Had labs drawn by endo a couple different times. 1st cortisol was 12 ACTH 14. Second was cortisol 3 ACTH 9. Third was cortisol 14 ACTH 16. She says I don't have a problem. I think I do. My question is should my ACTH be higher? My cortisol seems ok on 2 of the draws but I know the upper range for ACTH is 50 so I feel like my ACTH is low in relation to my cortisol. Thoughts??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2016, 01:47 PM   #2
    Jem412
    (female)

Jem412 HB User
    Re: How does cortisol relates to ACTH?

The normal range for ACTH is 9 to 52, although, it can be different per laboratory. In regards to ranges for cortisol, were you fasting when you got the bloodwork done? Normal ranges for cortisol depend on which time of the day. Several months ago, my cortisol was too high fasting in the morning and was at a level of 31. My new endo just ordered a pituitary gland work up (including testing my ACTH), so I can't speak too much on that yet. However, there are several different Pituitary Adenomas with different possible symptoms. What are your symptoms? Did your endo do a thyroid work up?

Old 03-24-2017, 12:31 PM   #3
    Dragonfly Wings
    Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User
    Re: How does cortisol relates to ACTH?

Hey there,

All lab ranges, and across different countries, are different so I am not 100% certain on your results but I did want to ask if they were drawn at around 8am? This is the best time for cortisol/ACTH levels to be accurately read. I hope this helps you!
    K.

Reply Reply