It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pituitary Disease Message Board

• Pituitary Macro Adenoma Surgery

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-11-2016, 10:24 PM   #1
    Houza
    (male)

Houza HB User
    Pituitary Macro Adenoma Surgery

I am scheduled to have surgery for the removal of a pituitary macro adenoma.

I have had CT scan and MRI scan done. After consulting with the neuro, the procedures listed for the operation is listed below. Please help me understand what it means. I am really worried. Will I be left with facial scaring? How serious is this operation. The neuro says he has done many of these operations in the past.

Will I be having lots of pain afterwards. If you had any of the procedures done will you please share them with me.

I am booked for 8 days in hospital.

1. Hypophysectomy or excision of pituitary tumor, transnasal or transept all
    a
    pproach, non stereotactic.

2. Bone graft

3. Excision or destruction(e.g.laser) intra nasal lesion; external approach( lateral rhinotomy)

4. Craniofacial approach to anterior cranialfossa, extramural, including lateral rhinotomy, ethmoid tony, spenoidectomy, without maxillectomy or orbital exenteration

5. Creation of shunt, ventricular-peritoneal -pleural, other terminus

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
    TrulyBlessed79
    (female)

TrulyBlessed79 HB User
    Re: Pituitary Macro Adenoma Surgery

Hello,
    My name is Cynthia and I have had this type of surgery 2x, and will be in the process of scheduling another one. The only facial scars that I have is located right up under my nose (not very bad). Although the operation is a very serious one, I hope and pray that everything will work out fine for you.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-18-2016 at 08:07 PM.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #3
    Houza
    (male)

Houza HB User

Hi Cynthia, thanks for the reply.

A few questions?
    How long were you in hospital?
    Did you have to go to ICU afterwards?
    Did the neuro use the endoscopic method to remove the tumor?

Thanks

Hadray

Old 04-20-2016, 06:52 AM   #4
    TrulyBlessed79
    (female)

TrulyBlessed79 HB User

Hadray,

With the first surgery, I think I was in there like a week. I was in recovery most of the first day, and then I was transported to ICU. But with the second surgery I was in the hospital like 2 weeks, because I experienced some complications with the surgery. I had to go back in the hospital about 5 months later for a spinal drain leakage, in which then after surgery I ended up with (2) pulmonary embolism (blood clots in lungs). Yes, I did have the endoscopic surgery done. I think it was a much better option, than doing the cranial surgery (where they cut in your head). I do plan on have a consultation done in July at UAB, my doctor recommended that I go there to have my next surgery, because he said that they have newer technology than what they have here in Mobile, AL. If you don't mind me asking, what city/state are you having your surgery?

Old 04-22-2016, 07:16 AM   #5
    Houza
    (male)

Houza HB User

Hi

I am in hospital, in the ICU. Today is the day after the surgery. I was told I will be moved to the wards tomorrow.

I am have lots of headaches. But they do give me some stuff, like mybulin, and I am on balsol drip.

Besides the headaches I feel ok. Did not have any nausea, which the doctor says is a good thing.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:17 AM   #6
    Houza
    (male)

Houza HB User

Hi

I am in hospital, in the ICU. Today is the day after the surgery. I was told I will be moved to the wards tomorrow.

I am have lots of headaches. But they do give me some stuff, like mybulin, and I am on balsol drip.

Besides the headaches I feel ok. Did not have any nausea, which the doctor says is a good thing.

Old 04-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #7
    TrulyBlessed79
    (female)

TrulyBlessed79 HB User

I'm so happy that you are doing pretty good, besides the headaches. Sometimes the headaches can be pretty normal right after surgery. Praying for a speedy recovery. Please keep me informed of your status.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Houza View Post
    Hi

Old 05-13-2016, 07:17 AM   #8
    TrulyBlessed79
    (female)

TrulyBlessed79 HB User

Hello,

I hope and pray all is well with you, just wanted to check and see how things are going for you since the surgery.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:31 PM   #9
    Houza
    (male)

Houza HB User

Hi

I am doing well. Will be returning to work on the 27th of May. There is almost no scaring. I was in ICU for 5 days and I day in the surgical wards before they released me.

I am scheduled to have another MRI scan in three months. To check if the tumor is coming back.

I am also on diabetes medicine. But they will make a diagnosis in three months when I have my sugar checked again.

We don't have an endocrinologist here in town, but there is a physician that has an interest in endocrinology. I have an appointment with her in three months as well.

I don't know if the tumor effected some of my hormones, but I still have very low libido.

Reply Reply