It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pituitary Disease Message Board

• Help! High FSH of 195!

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 12-22-2016, 12:50 PM   #1
    Luckotheirish
    (female)

Luckotheirish HB User
    Unhappy Help! High FSH of 195!

I have endometriosis, so a year ago I was having irregular bleeding, so I went on Lo Loestrin BC pill. My periods stopped for the last 6 months. I got off the pill a 2 months ago because it killed my libido. Well now I still haven't had a period, I'm exhausted, headaches, still no libido and I feel foggy.
    My doc tested my hormones and it was 195 FSH!!!! I'm 44. He told me I'm in menopause. Is this normal? I feel terrible, I'm too young, and I think that number is too high. Is there something else wrong? I'm so scared!
    How can I go from a period to abnormal periods for 2 months to no period for 6 and be ok in menopause? Did I skip everything? Could there be something else wrong with me? How high can FSH levels go?
    Please advise if you can. I just don't feel right.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #2
    AglaiaD
    (female)

AglaiaD HB User
    Re: Help! High FSH of 195!

I don't have an answer, but want to share that I'm basically in the same boat. I'm 39 and my FSH is 159, which is higher than menopausal level. I have also wondered how high FSH can go, but haven't found any information on that. I've gone just over a year without a period and am wondering how this will affect me with things that older women are more at risk for - osteoporosis, etc. I see a doctor for follow-up next week, so will report back after that.

Old 01-26-2017, 08:39 PM   #3
    Luckotheirish
    (female)

Luckotheirish HB User

I would suggest going to an endocrinologist. She said it could be high because my body is fighting and trying to make more estrogen so I can start a period. She tested me again, and it's now down to 150, and I'll get tested again in 2 weeks. She said hopefully it will be down again by then. If not, she'll look into it further. She said she has seen some as high as 600! She said I may start my periods again, or I may not. She said she will give me another couple of months to see if I do. It's been over 6 months with no period! She also suggested doing weight lifting. She said that can help it along....exercising using weights.....

Old 01-26-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
    Luckotheirish
    (female)

Luckotheirish HB User

P.s. I also had a uterine biopsy just to rule that out. It came back negative. Tomorrow I have an appointment with a neurologist to see if maybe there's a cyst in my head that is causing the levels to be way off....

Old 01-26-2017, 09:47 PM   #5
    AglaiaD
    (female)

AglaiaD HB User

Thanks for sharing that, and that is interesting that yours has started to come down again. I last had my level tested in December and those are the results I get next week. I'll be sure to ask if this can come down again or if we should check it a bit more regularly. Last time I saw this doctor she was sure it's menopause ... had a lot of other blood work done at the same time to support that. But, alas, she's no emdocrinologist. Is the doctor you're seeing an endocrinologist? I think overall my symptoms have been pretty mild. Sure, there's been hot flashes and such, but I think nothing to the extent of what we often hear from women. I don't have kids and at this time am fine with that, but would like to do whatever I can to keep healthy - bones and all that. It sounds like I will be put on estrogen along with the progesterone cream that I'm already on.

I'm curious what the rationale is for the weight lifting. Did she say? I don't do weights and just gpt more back into running. Other than that I have one big hiking or ski day each week, but that's basically it for exercise. I could stamd to lose 10-15 pounds, so am focusing on eating healthier and living healthier in general.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:57 PM   #6
    AglaiaD
    (female)

AglaiaD HB User

P.S. - I too a, comstantly exhausted, have foggy thinking, and a hard time concentrating. I've been thinking this was due to work stress, so don't know. I don't know what 'typical' symptoms would be for FSH this high. I have also been going to acupuncture for the last 8 months or so.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:55 AM   #7
    Luckotheirish
    (female)

Luckotheirish HB User

Yes, I am seeing an endocrinologist. I also saw an oncologist, who checked my biopsy. My doc was nervous because I had signs of menopause, but my uterine lining was at a 6 mm. I was told to use weights because it can change or rest my hormones....that's what she said...not sure how.
    At this point I almost wish it was menopause, because that means I lucked out a breezed they the whole thing qyuickly instead of years like most people. . But I really don't think so.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #8
    AglaiaD
    (female)

AglaiaD HB User

Interesting. My doctor is convinced that for me it is menopause. I had my last pelvic ultrasound half a year before my periods stopped and the uterine lining was 7mm at the time. I'm intrigued by the weights thing. Did your doctor tell you how much weight she wants to you to do?

Old 01-29-2017, 07:08 AM   #9
    Luckotheirish
    (female)

Luckotheirish HB User

She said just light weights. She thinks it may boost certain hormone levels or change them if I use weights and may kick start me out of menopause. We will see.....

Reply Reply