It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Pituitary Disease Message Board

10 year old daughter pituitary issues?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #1
Momplus
(female)

Momplus HB User
10 year old daughter pituitary issues?

My daughter has anxiety and she had her thyroid levels tested.
Tsh 9.8 (normal range 0.36-5.80)
Free T3. 6.0 (2.7-6.2)
Free T4 1.17 (0.79-1.49)

They are conserned because her t3 and t4 levels are in the normal range. (T3 is on the high end of normal) she is going to her pediatrician on Tuesday to discuss whether she needs an MRI. The test is not normal for clasdic hypothyroidism. Subclinical hypothyroidism maybe? I read itís not common for children to have that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2018, 08:57 PM   #2
Harri3t
Senior Veteran
(female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User
Re: 10 year old daughter pituitary issues?

Pediatric thyroid issues are well above my pay grade. I still have a couple of thoughts to throw out here.

First does your daughter have symptoms besides anxiety? With a TSH that elevated I'd expect things like sleepiness, weight gain, being cold all the time, constipation and slow growth among others. Even if shes doesn't have all of these signs, I'd expect at least a few signs that her metabolism is on underdrive.

Second, who is they? Are we talking pediatric endocrinologists, preferably in a large city or at a large teaching hospital that sees lots of pediatric thyroid kids? If not now then I think you should think about being seen somewhere like that. The MRI is not a bad idea just to cover bases. Pituitary growths are fairly common and not really as scary as they may sound. They are usually benign and they may even be left untreated for the most part.

I don't think there is anything subclinical going on with your daughter especially if she has symptoms. Judging from her TSH and FT4 she may be clinically hypothyroid.(* late edit- I really misread her FT4 and need to withdraw what I said here. For some reason I read it as .77. I do not think your daughter is hypo using the correct results. I apologize for my careless error. I will let the rest of my comments remain.) Some thyroid antibody testing is probably in order at some point to rule out an autoimmune cause to this. Autoimmune causes are VERY common though I'm not sure that applies to younger children like your daughter.

Good luck and wishing you both the best. And I sincerely apologize for my error

Last edited by Harri3t; 02-10-2018 at 11:33 PM. Reason: I really misread her FT4 and need to withdraw some of what I said

Old 02-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #3
Momplus
(female)

Momplus HB User
Re: 10 year old daughter pituitary issues?

It's not a problem, really! I was referring to the ER doctor and nurses that tested her thyroid levels. She doesn't sleep well, and sometimes gets irritable. She has a lot of HYPER symptoms. She is not tired or is having any hypo symptoms at all. I am hoping its nothing too serious like you said. Thank you for your response.

Reply Reply