It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• I am worried: PCOS problems?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2003, 06:51 PM   #1
    abc760

abc760 HB User
    Post I am worried: PCOS problems?

I have a worry.

I have been diagnosed w/ PCOS about two years ago. However I haven't started taking the birth control pills to stabalize my hormones until about 3 months ago. I know to help stabalize PCOS they suggest a high protein diet, and exercise (there is a problem w/ the insulin levels). I have already been running for the past month or so, though this weekend I didn't b/c I injured my calf. On Monday and today I began to eat more protein and I cut back quite a bit on my carbs. Sounds fine, right?

The problem is yesterday during this diet, I got horribly hungry. I took it in stride though I got to the point where I had to find something with carbos to eat (cereal =)...). Then today, though I just barely eaten an hour and a half ago (salad and chicken) I suddenly had rush of hunger to the point I was shaking, dizzy, and almost passed out. I ate a slice of left over pizza and I felt fine almost immediately. Is there something wrong here? Am I doing something wrong? It's not that I am not eating enough; it's the same amount of food I normally eat (I am pretty much a light eater).

The PCOS thing sucks, and w/ the birth control on top of it I am almost certain I will not be able to lose any weight at all. PCOS already causes my metabolism to be almost non-existent. I am getting pretty discouraged b/c for some reason I have never been this hungry before in my life. I am constantly craving food, and a lot of food, all the time. Gah.

thanks for any help =)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2003, 09:00 PM   #2
    sjg2752
    Inactive

sjg2752 HB User
    abc760,
    Have you had your blood tests done at the Drs.for sugar,& thyroid etc. It sure sounds like your blood sugar is taking a dive down.That can cause you to have the shakes,and not feel well at all.
    I'm on Atkin's diet, and I know for the first few days on the 2 week induction diet you don't feel good at all with not having all the sugar & caffine.
    You could ask your Dr.what she,or he recommends for a diet for you.
    Lots Of Luck! I hope you feel better fast!! sjg

Old 09-25-2003, 01:32 AM   #3
    globalgypsy

globalgypsy HB User
    Hi!

I was Diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16 (I'm now 25) and its been so long since I've really thought about it... I learned some interesting info from your post, thanks!

I'd say that if you can't cut carbs out, try to eat whole grains -- brown rice, wheat bread, more fiber. I've been on atkins for 5 days, and I was hungry for the first two days. Try to carry around cheese with you, string cheese is great. Or maybe check into a low carb bar that you could throw into a purse or backpack.

Anyway, good luck!

Old 12-16-2003, 06:16 AM   #4
    katrinakoenig

katrinakoenig HB User
    Thumbs up Re: I am worried: PCOS problems?

Hi abc760,
    I don't know if you will still read this after 2 months. I hope you're doing better now. I just wanted to share a little of my knowledge and experience.
    First of all, information is a very GOOD thing. I recommend you read all you can about PCOS, diet, exercise, medication, symptoms, etc. That is what helped me the most.

I just want to mention two things about your hunger. First of all, increasing your exercise will increase your hunger. Try eating more protein because that fills you up. Try to stay away from simple carbs (white bread, white pasta, etc). If you need the extra energy for strenous exercise, eat small amounts of whole wheat products. Some recommend leaving cereal out of your diet, but there are many whole wheat cereals out there which also are fairly high in proteins. This may be an option for you.

Also, you mentioned that three months ago (about 5 now) you started taking hormones. This can also change your appetite. Birth control pills, as far as I know, cannot actually make you gain weight. What they do is increase your cravings and appetite. This is why exercise and diet regulation is so important.

As for your non-existent metabolism, weight training can help a lot with this. Start with low weights and increased reps. Any gym with a trainer can give you a routine.

Drink lots of water. This helps a lot with hunger and with skin problems.

Hope this helps! I know, it's an on-going battle.
    Hang in there!

Old 12-16-2003, 08:50 AM   #5
    needasolution

needasolution HB User
    Re: I am worried: PCOS problems?

This is weird because I think I might have PCOS can you guys tell me about your symptoms

Old 12-16-2003, 08:00 PM   #6
    sillynilly

sillynilly HB User
    Re: I am worried: PCOS problems?

[[waves merrily]] Hello. I am abc760 so I am still around.

PCOS is basically just an insulin imbalance, where the pancreas produces too much insulin. However the side effects of PCOS causes alot of hormonal imbalances as well. Symptoms of PCOS is as follows:

- irregular periods: abnormal, irregular, heavy or scanty (oligomenorrhea)
    - absent periods (amenorrhea)
    - ovarian cysts
    - hirsutism (excess facial and/or body hair)
    - alopecia (male-pattern hair loss)
    - obesity
    - acne
    - skin tags
    - acanthosis nigricans (brown skin patches, often found on the nape of the neck)
    - high cholesterol levels
    - high blood pressure
    - exhaustion and/or lack of mental alertness
    - decreased sex drive
    - excess "male" hormones, such as androgens, DHEAS, or testosterone
    - infertility
    - decreased breast size
    - enlarged clitoris(rare)
    - enlarged ovaries
    - enlarged uterus

PCOS effects 5-10% of all women. It is the leading cause of infertility in women.

If you think you have PCOS: Go straight to an endocrinologist. They specialize in glandular disorders; in this case, the gland in question is the pancreas, which is overproducing insulin. Seeing an OB/GYN is only really useful if you are trying to get pregnant and, even then, a reproductive endocrinologist would probably be better informed.

The best way to maintain PCOS is actually through diet and exercise. A diet focused on low carbs and healthy foods, and steady amount of exercise, is your best bet to decrease the side effects of PCOS.

PCOS is a disease, and unfortunately, your are already at a risk for diabetes and heart disease. Too stay healthy, one HAS to keep a healthy weight.

All information was found on different websites as I am so lazy I rather copy and paste then actually type it all out =). I would post them but it is not allowed.

Thank you for the replies =). I have converted to healthier eating and haven't been around processed foods for awhile. That worked well for awhile and I got down to 140, but unfortunately I fell into stress and depressed (home-sickness ) related eating, though now even though the stress/depression is gone, I am still doing poorly diet/exercise wise due to finals...I have no time whatsoever. I think I 've been having pizza 24/7 for the past 4 weeks . And been getting around 4-5 hrs of sleep per night O_o. Ah college life.

If you want anymore information about PCOS, be free to ask.

~sillynilly~
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I am not on a diet. I am not trying to lose wieght. I am just eating healthy,exercising and enjoying life as best as a college student can. If I end up smaller, well, that is just an added bonus.

Last edited by sillynilly; 12-16-2003 at 08:02 PM.

Closed Thread