It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• What is PCOS??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-28-2004, 07:56 AM   #1
    Almostpretty
    (female)

Almostpretty HB User
    What is PCOS??

I keep seeing that on threads but have never heard of it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2004, 08:04 AM   #2
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User
    Re: What is PCOS??

it is where you develop cysts, acne like activity, on your ovaries, and it interferes with hormonal production, or is the result of hormonal production. It can lead to irregular periods and loss of fertility.

Old 01-28-2004, 12:19 PM   #3
    CourtneyIAM

CourtneyIAM HB User

It stands for Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome, I believe.

Old 01-28-2004, 01:06 PM   #4
    Almostpretty
    (female)

Almostpretty HB User

I wonder if this is something I may have. I know that my acne is hormonal but my doctor thought I should try accutane b/c he thought it doesn't matter why I break out, that should eliminate it no matter what.

I looked at some of the symptoms on line and I don't have a lot of them. Mainly that I break out and I think I am glucose intolerant. I've tried to make an appointment with an endocrinologist but none of them would even see me.

Well even if the accutane does work, I still plan on sticking to a low carb diet just because I feel so much better on it.

Old 01-28-2004, 10:47 PM   #5
    SweetJade1
    Senior Veteran

SweetJade1 HB User

Almostpretty,
    To put it bluntly, if you have a underlying hormonal problem, accutane will never cure you. From what I've read, it doesn't cure anyone...even Roche says it's anti-androgenic effects will return after treatment ceases (could take months - years to return though). Therefore, those that only take one course (we have people that have taken 5 courses and STILL have acne), probably were facing Pubertal Acne or a short bout of Adult Acne.

Now, PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. This is also known as Syndrome X, Syndrome O, Stein-Leventhal Syndrome, and Insulin Resistance. There are 2 forms of PCOS:

Insulin Resistance = increase Testosterone Levels

FSH/LH Imbalance = decreased Progesterone levels

I'm far from an expert, but I don't know if Insulin Resistance leads to both forms of PCOS or only one. Yet, I do know that women with ovarian cysts still improved on a form of Low Carbohydrate diet =)

I personally have the Insulin Resistance form of PCOS. My doctor actually said "you are either PCOS or IR, but either way we use the same treatments." I do not have typical PCOS symptoms, which is what misleads doctors into false diagnosis of patients. I am one of the Thin Cysters, although I do not have cystic ovaries, LOL. I'm underwieght, perfect menstural cycles, normal blood pressure, normal cholesterol, etc. On the "PCOS and Acne" post I go into detail about what my symptoms were, etc, but again I stress, you do not have to have all these "symptoms" .

It sounds like if you feel better on a Low Carb diet you may have the IR form. What are the rest of your hormonal or physical "symptoms" to this syndrome? You also mentioned that you might be Glucose Intolerant, well that describes Insulin Resitance and if you do, you want to keep on that diet in order to prevent you from entering into full blown resistance...Type II Diabetes!

So definately get yourself to an Endocrinologist and get tested (I listed some tests on the other thread) Depending on your hormone levels you will either use Insulin Sensitizing Drugs, Progesterone, or anti-androgens (Birth Control and/or Spironolactone). Although, ALL of those drugs serve the same purpose...they all act as anti-androgens (and hormone balancers) in one form or another ;-)

Personally, if you find that yours is sooo stubborn that you are stuck on 5 medications, you may want to focus more on your diet. I mean, if an Insulin Sensitizer can fix things...doesn't it make sense for us to all just start by actually following a diet that's Anti-Insulin Resistant??? Yet, your doctor won't stress this or if he does, it will be to tell you to eat Whole grains (which is better than Refined/white grains), but it's not as good as going Gluten-Free (or No Grain). If you are intested in that, just read "the Diet threads," LOL.

Best of luck and take care =)

Old 01-29-2004, 06:35 AM   #6
    Almostpretty
    (female)

Almostpretty HB User
    Re: What is PCOS?? Sweet Jade

Sweet Jade,
    I have also always been thin, and have regular mestrual cycles. The reason I have always thought my acne was hormonal is because I don't break out when I am on an estrogen birth control pill. I just hate being on the pill because all I want to do on it is sleep. I have no energy!

My skin also gets alot better when I eat low carb. It's just that I get alot of pressure from everyone around me who think I am to thin. It's hard to explain that I am doing it for my skin and because I feel better. And you know most diets are manageable when you can cheat one day a week or something like that. But with this I can never cheat.

One question: Do you eat raw honey? Does it cause a glucose spike?

Old 01-29-2004, 07:33 AM   #7
    prometheus
    Inactive

prometheus HB User

by the way, i eat raw honey. it is so good for us and yes it does cause glucose spikes, but my body can manage glucose properly, because it has enough magnesium to do so.

Closed Thread