It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• PCOS and Metformin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
    faith88

faith88 HB User
    PCOS and Metformin

Hi, it's been almost a year since my last post! When I joined this board last summer, I was seeking answers to my non-stop vagainal bleeding and spotting(months at a time) and infertility. My DH and I have been TTC #1 for 2 years with no success. Recently, I was finally referred to a fertility doctor and he diagnosed me with PCOS. I already knew a lot about PCOS because of info I read on this board (thanks!) and recently I started on Metformin. The doctor said that Metformin would not help with the bleeding - but in some miraculous way, it stopped! The doctor also said that I might have increased prolactin, but I am still waiting on the results of the second blood test to confirm that. I read that this could also be a reason for my infertility. The good news it, we finally have a PLAN. The doctor mentioned IUI and I am all for trying anything that will get us PG soon! Since I have been diagnosed with PCOS - I have been doing a lot of research on the internet. I read on another board a lot of success stories with PCOS women who started taking Metformin and conceived in a very short period of time. Currently, I am on 1000mg a day ... any other comments/success stories out there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2004, 09:28 AM   #2
    StrwbrryShrtcke

StrwbrryShrtcke HB User
    Re: PCOS and Metformin

Faith,

Congrats on atleast getting a plan and a diag. I have been on 1700mg a day and have noticed a difference in the way I feel. But no difference in my menses or so far trying to get Pg. We just had an ER on 5/3/04 and ET on 5/6/04 and no waiting for test day for +++++ on 5/17/04. We did get to 5wks pg in Jan but lost the baby. So here we are again. Good Luck to you.

S

Old 05-13-2004, 06:01 PM   #3
    faith88

faith88 HB User

Thanks for the reply and I am sorry to hear that you MC'd .. I am terrified of that happening, it must have been really hard to deal with. Do you think you MC'd because of PCOS? I heard that there is a higher chance for women with our condition. Let me know what you think .. thanks!

Old 05-14-2004, 09:19 AM   #4
    StrwbrryShrtcke

StrwbrryShrtcke HB User

No one will really ever know. As my RE said that he doesnt know if it was the passenger or the vehicle that had a problem. So we will never really know. But they do say that a healthy women usually has a 60% chance of miscarriage on their first pgcy. We will see.

S

Old 05-18-2004, 10:43 PM   #5
    chirp

chirp HB User

Good luck on the met. I have taken chlomid, injectables, met. and now I'm on to ovarian drilling. I didn't respond to any of the above. The met. has helped with hair growth and my skin cleared up, but nothing else. I can only take 1000mg a day or I get an upset stomach or heart burn. I really have pretty regular cycles, just not on an exact day of each month so that didn't really change. My Dr. said he usually continues met. through out a pg to reduce chances of MC. Did you keep taking it? Just wondering because PCOS does carry a higher rate of MC according to my DR.
    best wishes

Old 05-20-2004, 12:29 PM   #6
    StrwbrryShrtcke

StrwbrryShrtcke HB User

Yes I was on the Met the whole time. It has helped me with hair, weight, and acne as well. Just wish it would help with regulating my period and the ultimate goal of carrying to full term.

S

Closed Thread