It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• Could both my daughters have pcos?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-12-2004, 09:23 AM   #1
    krs_mom

krs_mom HB User
    Question Could both my daughters have pcos?

I have two daughters ages 15 and 12 the 15 year old has had her peroids for about 3 years now but they are never on time she may go 3 to 4 months and not have 1 and since she started her peroids she has gained alot of weight but this time when she got her peroid she had very bad cramps and heavey bleeding and she never did before.My 12 year old has had her periods for about 10 months now and shes only missed 1 maybe 2 peroids since she started getting them but she too has gained alot of weight but she is a very heavey bleeder every month(2 to 3 packs of pads a month).i was just wondering if any1 may know what this could be.Im also a heavey bleeder (2 to 3 boxes of tampons a month)but never went to doc for it.I hate the idea of taking them to a gymo at thier age and having them do exams on them and my girls r scared to have them done also.can any1 tell me what they think.COULD IT BE PCOS??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2004, 02:56 PM   #2
    bordrgrl
    Inactive
    (female)

bordrgrl HB User
    Re: Could both my daughters have pcos?

Could be. But they most likely won't even want or need to do an exam. Blood tests will tell them a lot. And while transvaginal ultrasounds are more helpful, my doc opted for the abdominal ultrasound when I was a virgin. While he could see enough to where he didn't feel the need to try transvaginal, he showed it to me. It is much less invasive than an exam.
    If the doc thinks they need an exam, there are some great pediatric gyn's out there. My sister had to go to one and had a very comfortable experience. They have tiny instruments and are used to treating very young girls. I would talk to their regular doctor and see what s/he suggests.

Old 12-13-2004, 03:34 PM   #3
    lobo1977

lobo1977 HB User

do they have other symptoms? I wouldnt see a pediatric gyn for the 15 yr old, if she has her period I think of her as an adult An endocrinologist will know the right tests for them, I suggest a woman and someone a bit younger as the ones 55+ dont always know much about PCOS.

My sister and I both have PCOS - she was RX at 29 and myself at 26, but signs were there around 17-18.

Old 12-13-2004, 07:08 PM   #4
    alleycat
    Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Your 15yr old daughter sounds like me (I was diagnosed at age 18 eairler this year)I could go all the way to 6months without a period but most of the time I skiped 3 or 4 months. I always had bad cramps and alot of weight gain but I also started growing facial hair. You don't have to take them to a gyno lots of people have been diagnosed through a family physican. Although I personaly beleive the sooner it is diagnosed the better it is so you can make certian changes in your life (such as diet, exersice ect) which might be harder the older you get. Good luck and it is my sincerist hope that they don't have PCOS.

Last edited by alleycat; 12-13-2004 at 07:09 PM.

Old 12-13-2004, 07:44 PM   #5
    krs_mom

krs_mom HB User
    Question Re: Could both my daughters have pcos?

i have been reading on pcos and they have a few symptoms .1 that i forgot to say was Anxiety& Panic they both been put on med for it around the time they both started getting their peroids.it worries me that my 12 year old bleeds so much every month and that my 15 year old is having hers so far apart and now shes starting to get cramps so bad for 1st 2 days that she just stays in the bed.can any1 tell me how they test some1 thier age because they both are fighting me on seeing a doc for it because they dont want an exam done.Thanks

Old 12-15-2004, 05:42 PM   #6
    alleycat
    Senior Veteran

alleycat HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by krs_mom
    i have been reading on pcos and they have a few symptoms .1 that i forgot to say was Anxiety& Panic they both been put on med for it around the time they both started getting their peroids.it worries me that my 12 year old bleeds so much every month and that my 15 year old is having hers so far apart and now shes starting to get cramps so bad for 1st 2 days that she just stays in the bed.can any1 tell me how they test some1 thier age because they both are fighting me on seeing a doc for it because they dont want an exam done.Thanks
    They don't always do a pelvic exam. If you take them to a family physician they will probably just do blood work.

Closed Thread