HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos/)
-   -   PCOS with regular period and without elevated DHEA or Testosterone? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/polycystic-ovary-syndrome-pcos/233694-pcos-regular-period-without-elevated-dhea-testosterone.html)

curlyroller 12-16-2004 10:06 AM

PCOS with regular period and without elevated DHEA or Testosterone?

hi. my name is rachel, i'm 29, and this is my first time here. i'm concerned about having PCOS, but not sure if i don't have some necessary symptoms.

i was diagnosed with hashimoto's disease in july 2004. as a part of the blood workup, they looked at my LSH, FSH, etc. everything came back "normal." here are the results:

testosterone, total: 15ng/dL (lab lists normal for premenopausal women as 15-70ng/dL)

% free testosterone: 2.24 (lab lists normal for premenopausal women as .05-1.8)

testosterone, free: 3.4 pg/mL (lab lists normal for premenopausal women as 1.0-8.5pg/mL)

DHEA S: 517 (lab lists normal as 62-615)

insulin: 13 (lab lists normal as less than 17)

FSH: 3.1 MIU/ML (lab lists normal by cycle phase. follicular phase 2.5-10.2, midcycle peak 1.6-18.8, luteal phase 1.5-9.1. first day of my last period was the 16th, and i had my blood drawn on the 19th. what phase would i have been in?)

LH: 1.9 MIU/ML (lab lists normal by cycle phase. follicular phase 1.9-12.5, midcycle peak 8.7-76.3, luteal phase < 16.9. first day of my last period was the 16th, and i had my blood drawn on the 19th. what phase would i have been in?)

prolactin: 6 NG/ML (lab lists normal for non-pregnant women as 3-30)

hemoglobin A1c: 5.4% Total HGB (lab lists normal for non-diabetics as < 6%)

my doctor and i are both concerned about that hemoglobin A1c. i am very overweight, and i am very concerned about insulin resistance being a problem.

i have ever increasing dark hair on my upper lip, chin and nipples. my acne is also getting much much worse.

last week, i went to the er with excruciating abdominal pain and they discovered multiple follicular cysts on my left ovary and a 4cmX4cm hemmoragic cyst on my right ovary.

but, my periods have always been very regular. is it possible to have PCOS but have regular periods and non-elevated DHEA/testoserone? how is an accurate diagnosis for PCOS made?

thank you in advance!

rachel.

Ron 12-16-2004 10:35 AM

Re: PCOS with regular period and without elevated DHEA or Testosterone?

[QUOTE=curlyroller]hi. my name is rachel, i'm 29, and this is my first time here. i'm concerned about having PCOS, but not sure if i don't have some necessary symptoms.

i was diagnosed with hashimoto's disease in july 2004. as a part of the blood workup, they looked at my LSH, FSH, etc. everything came back "normal." here are the results:

testosterone, total: 15ng/dL (lab lists normal for premenopausal women as 15-70ng/dL)

% free testosterone: 2.24 (lab lists normal for premenopausal women as .05-1.8)

testosterone, free: 3.4 pg/mL (lab lists normal for premenopausal women as 1.0-8.5pg/mL)

DHEA S: 517 (lab lists normal as 62-615)

insulin: 13 (lab lists normal as less than 17)

FSH: 3.1 MIU/ML (lab lists normal by cycle phase. follicular phase 2.5-10.2, midcycle peak 1.6-18.8, luteal phase 1.5-9.1. first day of my last period was the 16th, and i had my blood drawn on the 19th. what phase would i have been in?)

LH: 1.9 MIU/ML (lab lists normal by cycle phase. follicular phase 1.9-12.5, midcycle peak 8.7-76.3, luteal phase < 16.9. first day of my last period was the 16th, and i had my blood drawn on the 19th. what phase would i have been in?)

prolactin: 6 NG/ML (lab lists normal for non-pregnant women as 3-30)

hemoglobin A1c: 5.4% Total HGB (lab lists normal for non-diabetics as < 6%)

my doctor and i are both concerned about that hemoglobin A1c. i am very overweight, and i am very concerned about insulin resistance being a problem.

i have ever increasing dark hair on my upper lip, chin and nipples. my acne is also getting much much worse.

last week, i went to the er with excruciating abdominal pain and they discovered multiple follicular cysts on my left ovary and a 4cmX4cm hemmoragic cyst on my right ovary.

but, my periods have always been very regular. is it possible to have PCOS but have regular periods and non-elevated DHEA/testoserone? how is an accurate diagnosis for PCOS made?

thank you in advance!

rachel.[/QUOTE]

Hi Rachel,

I think you need another test for Hemoglobin A1c
Also, a test called "C Peptide" would be good to compare to insulin levels.

What is your diet like?

You can regress the symptoms if they are caused by insulin insensitvity
with a "low REFINED carb diet"... and a diabetic med such as glucophage
to prevent high blood sugar rises when you eat.

If your doc is not telling you this, you need another doc.
[I]{removed}[/I]
Ron

bordrgrl 12-16-2004 11:50 AM

You were most likely in the follicular phase of your cycle, unless you have very short cycles.
You can always have the testosterone/DHEAS repeated. Actually your DHEAS was pretty high. The "normal" ranges for blood tests are a bell curve, which means the closer you get to low normal or high normal, there are much fewer people who have blood tests like you. I hope that kind of makes sense :)
And I know I usually test the same way yours are. One of my testosterone's is high, and the other normal. Not sure which is which. But your % free testosterone is high. You could ask your doctor about spironolactone for that.
Vaniqa is also great for facial hair.

curlyroller 12-16-2004 11:55 AM

[QUOTE=Ron]I think you need another test for Hemoglobin A1c
Also, a test called "C Peptide" would be good to compare to insulin levels.[/quote]

why another hemoglobin A1c? i'll do a search on the c peptide. thanks.

[quote]What is your diet like? [/quote]

at the time of this test, it was crap. lots of highly refined carbs.

[quote]You can regress the symptoms if they are caused by insulin insensitvity with a "low REFINED carb diet"... and a diabetic med such as glucophage to prevent high blood sugar rises when you eat. [/quote]

my doctor already wants me switching to a low GI/GL diet, and i'm going to meet with a dietician soon to help me switch (i've got some food allergies/intolerances, and foods i need to avoid with my thyroid, so i need some help meal planning.).

[quote]If your doc is not telling you this, you need another doc.[/quote]

i fired my endo because not only was she not concered about my thyroid symptoms, or my hemoglobin A1c, but she couldn't give a crap about my wacky testoserone. my new doctor seems much better.

is there a chance this could be PCOS? how do they know? what can be done to treat it without drugs?

rachel.

hobbitcutie 12-16-2004 03:19 PM

[QUOTE=curlyroller]

[/QUOTE]

Well, one indication of PCOS is an uneven ratio between these two hormones. Yours is slight, but still very much an indication. It sounds like your tests were also given on the correct day of the cycle, so the tests should be accurate (correct me if i'm wrong, but i THINK the follicular phase includes the actual bleeding part of the period, so that would be the phase you're in).

curlyroller 12-16-2004 07:23 PM

[QUOTE=hobbitcutie]Well, one indication of PCOS is an uneven ratio between these two hormones. Yours is slight, but still very much an indication. It sounds like your tests were also given on the correct day of the cycle, so the tests should be accurate (correct me if i'm wrong, but i THINK the follicular phase includes the actual bleeding part of the period, so that would be the phase you're in).[/QUOTE]

very interesting. thanks for the information. i think you are right, that i was in the follicular phase. i will be sure to take this information to my doctor when i go to see him again in february.

is there a cure for PCOS, or is there only treatment of symptoms?

right now, i want to get my thyroid hormones right, eat a better diet (that is also lower glycemic index/load), get to the point where i am feeling good enough to exercise regularly, and lose weight. from the little bit i know about PCOS, all of these things would be good for it. are the only treatments drugs to treat the symptoms, because i'd really rather avoid that if i could...

thank you all so much for your replies.

rachel.

djl 12-17-2004 11:50 AM

Question
If you are on the BC Pill, does that affect the hormone level testings?? I am assuming that if you have your hormone levels tested, and on the pill since the pill IS hormones, that would not give you a actual true reading

bordrgrl 12-17-2004 03:11 PM

Yes being on the pill affects hormone tests. Sometimes they have reference ranges for women on the pill, but my doctor prefers not to use those.