It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• PCOS, Sleep Apnea, & Weight Gain!!! Need Help! (Sorry its long)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-01-2005, 11:30 AM   #1
    MikeysWifey0316
    (female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User
    PCOS, Sleep Apnea, & Weight Gain!!! Need Help! (Sorry its long)

I was diagnosed w/ Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) in November of 2004. My Dr put me on metphormine (1000 mg per day) to help with this. So far, nothing is better. At the end of April 2005, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. I知 so exhausted all the time that functioning is getting harder and harder. It takes about all that I have to get through an 8-hour workday. Both my Apnea and PCOS doctors say if I could lose some weight it would help both problems. But, both Apnea and PCOS cause weight gain. Both docs even said it would be next to impossible for me to lose it right now. I guess I知 just looking to vent. I知 so frustrated right now. My weight is out of control. I think I知 currently at about 280lbs, I知 53 tall, and I知 24 years old. The PCOS has also caused higher testosterone, which lead to dark upper lip hair, receipting hairline, stray hairs on my chin and chest, and painful acne. So needless to say, I知 feeling pretty 砥nfeminine & ugly lately. My self esteem wasn稚 that great to begin with, but its just gone downhill with all of this. Has anyone had any luck with PCOS treatments other than weight loss? I知 struggling with the Apnea (have posts on the sleep disorders board too), but I thought some one who has struggled with PCOS might have some ideas for me. I know that exercise helps, but with me being so tired, that is hard for me to do. The weight is getting to a point where getting around can be difficult and painful. I know that it is mostly because of the PCOS that I am as big as I am, so I知 at a loss as to what to do. I知 just so tired of feeling so crappy all the time and feeling so tired on top of it. Please help if anyone knows anything! Thanks!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2005, 10:52 AM   #2
    dustie03
    (female)

dustie03 HB User
    Re: PCOS, Sleep Apnea, & Weight Gain!!! Need Help! (Sorry its long)

My DR had to up my metformin b/c it wasn't working. I now take 1500mg/day. Even so, I was still needing to take the progesterone every 3 months to get a period. since January 25th, I've lost 27 pounds and have NOT had to take progesterone- my periods are becoming regular! Maybe you should try to get your meds upped. Have they given you progesterone?

I know you don't think the weight loss will work, but trust me... {removed} It's hard some days to get the exercise you need, but there are many simple things you can do. Park farther away at the store, or walk around in the store for an hour before you do your shopping. I know you're tired with the apnea, but losing even 20 pounds can help that tremendously!

The metformin should help with the weight loss, and diet restriction gets easier after the first few weeks. I started at 265 (5'3"), and now I'm down to 238 and down 2 sizes in clothes. YOU CAN DO IT! If your docs are telling you that you CAN'T lose the weight, FIND NEW ONES! Any doctor that poo-poos an attempt to get healthier should be reported. You CAN lose the weight, but you'll need the support of EVERYONE around you. I am emailing everyday with a friend half-way around the world in the hopes that next time we see eachother, we'll have a lot less of the other to hug. Find a buddy, it's the first step! GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by Modinatrix21; 06-07-2005 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Read posting rules. No websites.

Closed Thread