It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• I may have PCOS and am severely scared and depressed!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-16-2005, 11:44 PM   #1
    kay21
    (female)

kay21 HB User
    I may have PCOS and am severely scared and depressed!

I stopped taking Yasmin 2 months ago (after being on it for 3 years) due to horrible side effects- frequent urination, muscle pains, anxiety, vaginal dryness, etc. Since I have been off of Yasmin, I have felt horrible. Although most of those symptoms have improved, I am experiencing the following symptoms: severe hair loss (250-300 hairs per day) for 6 weeks, increased acne, increased facial hair (chin, mustache, etc) and NO PERIOD for 2 months. Prior to being on Yasmin, I did have some acne and some facial hair, however, I had never had hair loss from scalp. In fact, I probably had more hair than 3 people combined. However, since being on Yasmin I have noticed some hair loss, but since stopping Yasmin it has gotten significantly worse. I am so afraid that I am going bald. I saw my GYN and she told me the hairloss is from anxiety, however, after persuading her run hormone tests, noth my DHEA and testosterone are elevated. I am assuming this is what is causing my symptoms. Her nurse told me that I would be referred to a Endo. HOwever, after reviewing my hormone tests and past tests, the Endo's nurse told me that the Endo wants me to wait 6 months and have hormones re-tested. According to the nurse, the ENdo does not believe I have PCOS because I have no history of ovarian cysts (I had an ultrasound about 1 yeat ago and a CT scan this past May). However, can't you still have PCOS without cysts? This is the only Endo in my health plan and she is leaving in June. I have an appt with another GYN in July who I have heard is really good (both my mom and sister go to him) and a follow up derm appt in Aug (actually for my skin). I am so confused and frustrated. Whatever I have, I just want to treat it as soon as possible before it gets worse. Also, I am only 26 and would like to have children someday and hair when I get married. Woudn't an endo be the best person to diagnose or treat this? I have been severely depressed and anxious for the last few weeks and have been crying everyday. I can't eat and have difficulty making it through the entire day at work. This is affecting my relationship with my family and boyfriend. WHat should I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
    Timber
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
    Re: I may have PCOS and am severely scared and depressed!

PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. If you did not have cysts, you wouldn't have PCOS but rather some other hormonal condition that caused a similar set of symptoms. But I agree that you should be seeing an endo to get to the bottom of your symptoms, and it's frustrating that they turned you away.

Old 06-17-2005, 07:56 AM   #3
    MikeysWifey0316
    (female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User

Kay,
    I know exactly what you are going through. I am 24, and was diagnosed with PCOS last November, but I think I've had this since my first years having periods. I have no cysts at all. So it is possible. My symptoms were increased acne, facial hair, receiting hairline, and absense of periods. (I think I've had 3 in the last year or so) My current doctor's specialty is Internal Medicine. He said they treat people with this as well as Endos. While I'm not happy with him right now, I think an internal med doc would be okay to see if you have more of them in your healthplan. He put me on 1000 mg of Glucophage per day in November. So far, my testosterone is only higher... which is one of the reasons I'm not happy with him. He's not being very aggressive in my treatment. But don't worry, you're not alone. And from what I've read, it is possible to have children with PCOS. You might have to take some fertility treatments, but it would be well worth it if you want kids. Let me know how things go. I'll keep ya in my thoughts. Sometimes just knowing you're not alone is a big help.

Old 06-17-2005, 07:59 AM   #4
    MikeysWifey0316
    (female)

MikeysWifey0316 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timber
    PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. If you did not have cysts, you wouldn't have PCOS but rather some other hormonal condition that caused a similar set of symptoms. But I agree that you should be seeing an endo to get to the bottom of your symptoms, and it's frustrating that they turned you away.
    Actually Timber, you can have PCOS with no cysts. It is a very strange syndrome and I don't think any 2 people have the same symptoms. But from everything I have read and heard from multiple doctors, the cysts are not necessarily present with all people who have it. Which, I think that is one of the main reasons it is commonly misdiagnosed.

Closed Thread