It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Message Board

• pcos suddenly at 45 possible?anyone else?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-17-2005, 01:51 PM   #1
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User
    pcos suddenly at 45 possible?anyone else?

Hi. I have had very, regular normal periods all my life until I hit 40. They then became very heavy, clotty, and around every 23 days. Started growing a little facial hair, also, but very slight. The doctor found a 5 cm. cyst on my ovary and we removed the ovary(it turned out to be a corpus luteal cyst). At the same time I had a uterine ablation. For the 4 years after that, I had my monthly period, but very slight, just enough for a panty liner, but never missed one. Now for the last year, I've had no period. My fsh and lh are both like 3.0 and 2.5, so I'm not in menopause. I found out at the same time, because of pain, that I had a 3.5 cm. cyst on my remaining ovary. I have had 3 ultrasounds in the last year to watch it's progress, and it has varied only slightly. I cannot tolerate birth control, so can't take that for the cyst. My facial hair has also gotten worse, both in quantity and darker. My testosterone is normal, as is my dhea-s, prolactin, and cortisol(had my own tests ran to check these). Does this sound like pcos at my age, and is anyone at the 40ish age also having this happen? I just want to know what to confront my gyn with when she says it might be pcos-I thought it was something that most people have beginning in their younger years, and then it stays with them.

Thanks for any help! Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2005, 01:03 AM   #2
    daisy01
    (female)

daisy01 HB User
    Re: pcos suddenly at 45 possible?anyone else?

hiya karen, I am just as confused as you
    I am 41 and have just been diagnosed with having a 2cm cyst on (R) ovary and a 2.5cm on (L) I have always had problems with periods but had a hysterctomy 3 yrs ago for fibroids. There has never been a mention of ovarian cysts before and after having 5 children= many many ultrasounds I think it would of been picked up earlier if i had PCOS. I have had a problem with adhesions in the past and my gyn seems to think that I may have adhesions over the ovaries causing fluid to build up. I also have a facial hair problem and a few acne type spots, but losing my hair on my head. However I have hypothyroidism so I am not sure if all this is linked.
    Just falling apart at the seams I think lol.
    if you get an answer from your gyn before I get to see mine next month I would be interested to find out your results.

Old 09-18-2005, 08:51 AM   #3
    sue1234
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sue1234 HB User

Hey, thanks for the response. I know what you mean about the falling apart at the seams! I also have a thyroid issue, hashimoto's, but my levels stay good, so I don't think that is a factor with my gyn issues-but, you never know! I certainly will post with my doctor's explanation whenever I get in.

Old 09-18-2005, 10:24 AM   #4
    daisy01
    (female)

daisy01 HB User

my thyroid issue is also hashi's and i have been looking at other postings about PCOS and the insulin resistance link which then also links to thyroid problems!!!

I am going to ask my gyn for some tests on this.

Old 10-04-2005, 05:47 AM   #5
    kitkat1
    (female)

kitkat1 HB User

hi karen,both of my sisters have had pcos for years.one has very thin hair at the front of her head and facial hair.the other has a moustache(ha,ha)she waxes.that one also has long thick hair in the middle of her chest.also waxes that.
    one had sympoms for years with no periods for years.she was finally diagnosed a couple years ago at age 35.my grandma had a beard now that i think about it,also male baldness patterns.some doctors believe it to be genetic,some don't.i think it can be.regular exercise will help this syndrome.after one sister lost weight,she had her 1st period for 7 years.
    \=

Old 10-14-2005, 05:58 PM   #6
    djl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

Hi,It could be PCOS.
    I am 39 yaers old and for a year straight had problems with ovarian cysts in both oivaries, since I was 13 had irregular painful periods, at the age of 17 I had my first cyst.

At the age of about 22 developed severe ovulation pain . Docs were thinking I was probably popping cysts left and right. 9 years ago was put on the pill, to get me regulated and help ovulation also due to finding through a MRI an enlarged uteris.

I was DX this past year with PCOS, also again wioth Enlarged boggey uteris and pelvic congestion. I ended up with a hyst. Everything gone but my cervix.
    I am on metformin for insulin resistance yet I realy don't think my blood sugar is bad at all.
    I also have facial hair, I shave every mrning and problkems with my weight. I had severe acne when I was a teen.
    I also was dx with a wopping 254 cholesteral last year. After my hyst it dropped to 222. They said it was because of my overies. I also have high Try's and low HDL's. That is supposed to also be a sign of PCOS.
    I guess you can get this problem at any age?? It is STILL confusing to me even now. I still have alot of these problems

Closed Thread